Stock turbo is water cooled?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,
spent most of this morning trying to get the turbo/cat/dump unit out in one go using instructions that shonky had for when he removed his setup.

i know the setup is somewhat different as the models and engines are different, but it was similar enough.

the issue came when trying to pull the whole lot out. there were an extra 2 tubes going into the turbo. after reading and comparing the navara work shop manuals it appears that the newer d22 models have both an oil inlet/outlet tube and water inlet/outlet tubing.

picture:
watery.png

so according to all this, does this means the new turbos are actually water cooled using the radiator fluid? when i suqeezed on the radiator hoses a green liquid came out the hoses leading into the turbo.

cheers, just trying to work out whats what on this new engine

That would appear to be the case. Not entirely unexpected, I have an old watercooled Nissan turbo from an Urvan, they have been doing it for years.

when undoing the oil tubes from the engine, will it need to be blocked? eg. will it just leak out oil?

i had to crimp the water hoses shut otherwise it would just pour out

got a price for a dump pipe from an exhaust mob and the fitting fee is a rip off so decided to see how difficult it would be to do it myself.

apart from jack stands being something i should invest in as i currently just slide on a big slippery sheet of mdf to get under the car, the whole removal of the turbo section is actually fairly easy. undo bottom 3 cat to exhaust nuts, remove heat shielding that covers the manifold, remove the bottom heat shield to access 2 bolts which hold the dump/cat in place, undo the 2 water hoses, undo the 2 oil tubes, pull of the bottom oil return tube and undo the 3 top nuts. then just let it drop and pull it out.

the more you know about your own car the more likely you'll be able to fix it if it plays up is what i say....that and i have a knack for checking everything. also checked the turbo for play in the turbine because i heard they somewhat dont last too long? joshy went through 2 stock turbos i believe which is unfortunate. i also read on another forum a member was having turbo issues and turned out the whole front section was loose!

Yeah fair bump, it's good to know ur rig. Just glad we didn't break it on first trip out! Lol

its held up surprisingly well. there were only light scratches on on bash plate, luckily, and none of the chassis rails seem to be hacked up from the rocks.

the lsd did better than i thought it would, now i see why people say its just a great diff. only slipping i had was from not enough traction due to basic ATR wheels and 2wd, lol

i was at the 4wd shop the other day and had a talk to the guys. got behind the counter and was shown some pics from the mundaring track. there is actually some pretty rough sections which had puddles and crossing over 2m deep! good thing we didnt try those XD

Yeah i keep finding pics of stuff i don't remember on the track, but anything off the main track is illegal due to the whole water catchment area thing... A locker would have done you real well i think, probably should have tried tyre pressure in hindsight too...

What 4wd shop? I've sound a few don;t have the time of day for u aint shopping for serious stuff.. (when i was looking for a hand winch) but the guy at the store near the airport (forget name) was great! Prices good too...

theres the TJM offroad shop located near corner of south street (head down the hill away from bunnings and its on the right side) and stock road. and theres the ORE offroad shop located in myaree.

google is your friend :)

i went round to a bunch of shops checking out what they got and the prices of certain things. helpful and mixed info though.

Back