Boosted's D22 SAS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted

Reaction score
I thought i'd open up this thread as i'm looking at doing an solid axle conversion hopefully mid to late next year and I want to do plenty of research and keep a log of it here and also find some of the info that I heard from others on the forums.

What I plan to do is use front and rear suspension setups from a GQ/Maverick coil sprung wagon and the transfer case from the 2.8 model as this was supposed to fit the diesel gearbox and corrects the front driveshaft position (can't remember who told me that on here?)

From the measurements i've taken so far from a Maverick it should fit with minimal mods done except for the rear tailshaft connections which I don't think are the same.

Feel free to post suggestions and comments as it will not only help me in the build but help anyone else wanting to carry it out

Ill buy your ucas ;)
Can't wait to see this start happening! It'll be great

lol I've got a front lokka there as well that will be coming out. I'm hoping it will give me at least 4-5" of lift over standard with just stock springs. Im itching to get it done, it's going to be a monster. Unfortunately i'm in the process of building a house so I have to wait for that to be done and my shed to go up then i'm into it

lol I've got a front lokka there as well that will be coming out. I'm hoping it will give me at least 4-5" of lift over standard with just stock springs. Im itching to get it done, it's going to be a monster. Unfortunately i'm in the process of building a house so I have to wait for that to be done and my shed to go up then i'm into it

Haha I'm sure it'll be massive! Ill take the front diff as is too ;)

Early measurements are looking very promising. The chassis width and height are nearly identical to a GQ, all I may have to do is modify the body mounts to allow for the lower suspension arms on the front. I still have to measure the rear end up.

Even all the steering should line up pretty much with a few custom bits.

Who ever told me about the 2.8L GQ transfer fitting the diesel gearbox could you reply to confirm?

I think this will be the biggest set back trying to get that and the front drive shaft to fit. I'll have to track down a GQ workshop manual to find the specifics.

you will have to do a mod to the sump ,change the steering box to gq bolts line up and lots of other things also but sounds like you can work them out but one thing that i should done was the ratio left them at 4,3 im putting a older navara diff with 4,6 so now they are both a patrol diffs

Is the GQ steering box any bigger? It looks to be almost the same size? Have you done the same SAS that i'm thinking of? If so any pics would be greatly appreciated

Just found all the info I was looking for from Dave in DomHogans post so i'll post it up in here

They run the same gearbox. The cases are just different.

Mark aka Mud4B has done it, to his D22. His is on a GQ Chassis, still running the D22 spec ZD30 but the D22 front half of the gearbox and the RD28 rear half.

Id go a GQ front diff, rear half of a RD28 gearbox onto the front half of a stock ZD30 D22 gearbox. Bolt on RD28T/ETI or RB30S transfer and all you have to do is sort out the steering and diff mounts.

The transfer feeds the front diff on the correct side.

Oh and the same could be done for YD25's, VG30E's, VG33E's, QD32's and TD27's if you swap a QD32 gearbox onto it.

Last edited:
Yeah I remembered it being in a thread a while ago but couldn't remember which one.

Just looking at all the stuff and this is going to be easier than I thought.

I wanted to keep away from flipping diffs. I'd rather have to bolt on something than weld something. Plus having to weld less will look better in engineering

HAHA I was thinking of getting that one but getting it to Queensland would be another thing. It looks in pretty good nick, even had the tail shafts.

There is a bloke in town with 4 perfect chassis with engines in them sitting in his yard but be buggered if I can get any

HAHA I was thinking of getting that one but getting it to Queensland would be another thing. It looks in pretty good nick, even had the tail shafts.

There is a bloke in town with 4 perfect chassis with engines in them sitting in his yard but be buggered if I can get any

Yeah freight would be a pain and cost a bit i would imagine. There is a wreckers down here in town that has about 20 gq's in all sorts of conditions. Be interested how much they would try and sell one for. Most wreckers try to charge a lot more then they should.

If I can pick one up for $1-2000 I should be able to make most of it back by selling all the parts and should walk away with relatively low build cost

you will need a gq/gu steering box (gu/late model gq steering box stronger) the pitman arm swing is back to front on the navara.

Most likely the sump will be in the way, i cant remember now check out the pics in my build up. Patrol zd30 has the sump to the back and offset to passenger side for more front shaft clearance.
there are some other things but its been a while now...

I think I have just hit a major hickup in this already. Just talked to main roads modification hotline and they pretty much said there is no way you can get a solid axle conversion approved in Queensland.

Is there anyone who has already done this in Queensland who could shed some light on it and mabye point me to an engineer who may approve it

Latest posts

Back