Anyone done chip without exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm keen to put a bit more Grrrrr into the 2.5CRD but as a brand new vehicle not even having done it's first 1K service, I don't want to add an exhaust straight away.

I was thinking DP chip first as it cannot be seen/noticed by service staff if removed before service.

Has anyone added the chip without carrying out exhaust mods? If so, did you get much more grunt out of the engine? Obviously the D40 puts out more neddies from same engine so I'm not concerned about additional stresses or heat from the engine/exhaust.

Your experience and opinions would be most welcomed.

Ta,

DJ

first thing would be to fit boost and egt guages.
then you can chip it and see if temps are going to high.

If its your budget that's limiting your spend, then I'd spend your money on an exhaust before the chip. Fitting a larger exhaust won't affect your warranty.

Go the exhaust 1st then the chip, the chip wont be at its full potential without the bigger or more open free flowing exhaust.....I just installed a Taipain 3" Mandrel bent system on my Dec '08 build Navara D22 STR, makes a noticable difference even without a chip, which will be coming soon (Taipain also). cheers.

I noticed immediately how much better the engine went after adding an exhaust, it needs to breathe better. The exhaust upgrade on it's own was a decent performance boost.

I wouldn't even consider chipping before exhaust.

Hey Guys,

Ta for the advice. Reasons I was looking at the chip first was the exhaust is an obvious performance mod, I was also thinking I'd need to keep the DPF and dump pipe for warranty reasons and that the Dump and DPF is a bottle neck for exhaust gas anyways so unless changing the Dump and DPF it was going to be a bit of a waste.

I like the quiet of the stock exhaust and was worried about a louder system. Done all my hooning more than 20 years ago.

I reckon I'll go talk to an exhaust mob and see what they recommend. Might have a chat with DP diesel as well and get their input too. Thanks!

Cheers,

DJ

Hi Guys,

I found this on the Diesel Power website.

"DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) and Aftermarket Exhausts.
Please Note: No Warranty from DPCHIP if an aftermarket exhaust is fitted to a vehicle with DPF filter.

Aftermarket Exhausts can lower back pressure and exhaust gas temperatures. High temperatures are actually required to clean the DPF.
If the DPF becomes blocked it can create high engine back pressures and excessively high temperatures.

We have seen some cases of Engine failures and DPF filter damage, these cases have proven to be caused by the fitment of After Market Exhaust. This has then lead to the After Market Exhaust Manufacturer becoming responsible for the damage and for payment for repairs.
"

I'm pretty sure removal of the DPF will completely void engine warranty from Nissan as well as DP Chip warranty.

Now I'm really uncertain as to what to do but again am leaning towards chip only.

Thoughts?

DJ

Sounds to me like they're saying:

"If you want an after-market exhaust, lose the DPF"

Problem with doing that is the emission system becomes non-compliant and Nissan may have an issue with that if there are any engine-related faults.

It might also be enough if the police decide to pay close attention for them to defect the vehicle (I'm sure the regs about including emission control systems on vehicles also have something about not removing them!).

My dealer did tell me that chipping the vehicle would void the warranty. I was reading somewhere that the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) remembers certain events (max speed, max RPM being two that I'll never lie to my mechanic about ever again) - I don't know if it records max boost, or fuel flow or whatever the chip changes.

If the chip does change stuff, and that's outside the parameters of the stock engine, they might easily (and correctly) assume that a chip's been used.

Not for me, I'll stay stock. I don't like arguments! :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure my 08 D22 hasn't got a DPF? Don't they contain a sensor which means wires? LOL, didn't see any!

hey deejay, any idea where you're gonna get your exhaust done?

i'm currently maybe in just for a dump pipe routed to the stock exhaust so that the rest can be done later (funds issue...i'd be working these holidays, but school decides to chuck our exams in our holidays)

if you get any prices and such please let me know!

cheers mate

Hey maddogrc,

Business is hotting up for me at the moment and I don't get to drive my ute much when working so I'll start looking around as I get time. If I find someone decent, I'll surely let you know.

Cheers mate,

DJ

Hey mate,

I have the 3L engine so not sure if this is any help but i have the Safari chip and thats the only engine mod and it makes a big difference... Might be one to look into mate

Paul

Do Safari offer a warrenty like DP does ? Thats the main reason I'd be leaning toward the DP.

Now if we could only get a Gas company to offer an engine warenty, we'd be set :big_smile:

Cheers,
James.

Last edited:
Not sure about the warranty... I assume it would have a 1 year or something. It was installed in the car before i bought it and the owner said he was nothing but happy with it. I can confirm it deffinately works efficiently, i get over 700kms a tank even with some 4wheeling in there too.

Don't quote me but I think DP will actually go into bat for you if Nissan was to try any "it's not under warranty now" crap. And DP Chip have 24/7 phone/tech support.

Don't quote me but I think DP will actually go into bat for you if Nissan was to try any "it's not under warranty now" crap. And DP Chip have 24/7 phone/tech support.

Yep thats what I was talking about.

Quote from the DP site:

"New vehicle engine and driveline warranty. We know our chip is the safest on the market. We challenge any other chip tuning company to match this warranty. Some claim to have it but check their fine print, it will only be 'insurance' or it will have a time limit (12 months for example). Ask yourself why the competition can't give you a new vehicle engine and driveline warranty coverage like we do. If their products are as safe as they claim then they should be able to. We know the DPChip cannot cause any engine problems. Infact we have never seen a problem and we know we never will because the safety is inherent to our unique design and programming. No other company can match this"

I'll personally be going a DP when the time comes for my 2.5.

Cheers,
James.

Latest posts

Back