What canopy to buy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Matt and I've just joined this forum. I live in WA SOR.

I've just signed up for a new STR and would like to get a canopy just not sure what brand I should go for ARB, Flexiglass??? What other brands are there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Matt

Mate I reakon the genuine canopys look the best. I have a ute lid but I was thinking at the time when I got mine. Should I get a canopy.

Genuine all the way.

Dave.

I'm pretty sure the genuine ones are flexiglass or TJM rebadged. I prefer the carryboy canopies myself but you would think they were made of gold at the price they are charging. Close to 4k. I saw some similar looking ones to the carryboy on ebay for about half that.

Has anyone used the ARB one? The good thing about the ARB one is that when you put a rack on top of the canopy they put supports inside the canopy so that the tub is taking the weight no the canopy

If they need extra support for a roof rack I'm not sure what that says about the strength of the canopy. The carryboy ones are already rated to 80kg on the roof bars that come standard. In saying that ARB look pretty good visually IMO and you can option them up to whatever spec you like. They start out fairly cheap when they are plain white, coarse finish, sliding windows. Then the options you can add are lift up windows, roof rack supports, colour coding, smooth finish etc. All extras included it was over 3k. Its a hard decision as there is quite a few around. I think in the end the decision would come down to which one looks the best. I wish Ironman made one to suit the D22 as they are well priced and fully optioned as standard and look real good IMO.

Yeh the ARB is about $2500 for the canopy colour coded and about $750 for the tradesman style rack. Which I dont think is to bad compared to the standard nissan one with no rack is $3000.

Jon how long ago did you see the ones on ebay?

Wow, that Supersport canopy is hideous, not to mention a huge waste of internal space.

Gee Shonky... dont sugar coat it or anything :18::18:

I think it looks good for a canopy. :28:

I just stopped myself from knocking your sense of vehicular taste. I mean, it cant be all that bad can it :wink:

Maybe I was a bit harsh, the concept is good but I think they duffed the execution, the lines of the cab don't work into the canopy, the window heights are wrong, it just looks like the canopy was made to fit a different vehicle but it just so happens the tub on the D40 is the same size so they decided to stick it on that.

Not you too Jon...

One more person says that and I guess I have to concider that maybe its me thats wrong.

Surely not :55:

Cheers Jon I just looked at there website and they look good but I think it would cost a bit to get it over to me. I'll send them an email.

Thanks for everyones help...

NEW NAVARA D22 & D40 DUAL CAB UTE ULTIMATE CANOPY - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 25-Dec-08 21:49:07 AEDST)

This is the item on ebay, to get lift up windows the price was $2350. The canopies use a clamp system so no drilling. The roof bars are rated at 40kg and a lightweight aluminium rack is available which looks similar to the rhino ones for 275 extra. I'm not affiliated with this company at all just repeating what I was told in an email conversation.

I had a Flexiglass fitted to my D22 12 months ago and they were worth $2200 at the time but the RACQ mag had a coupon from Flexiglass just at the time I wanted it, offering 10% off so I went for it. At that price it had the lift up windows on the side, sliding window at the front and an internal light. Racks were offered at additional cost but the purse strings were tied to the apron strings at the time so, no racks. I had the choice of the the high roof or the straight roof but as I wanted to build my drawers and have a fridge on top I selected the stepped roof. It provides a nice streamline efeect when towing my van. I'm happy with the choice.

i had an str canopy up for sale not long before i joined the forum. it was a flexiglass and was ideal for holding all the campin gear. had to get rid of it cos the motorbike wouldnt fit in the back lol :13:

I have a Flexiglass Canopy on my ute. The rear window has just about rubbed a hole through the tailgate along its entire width. Not happy with it.
A mate had the Nissan canopy and that was pretty good.

Ross

Ross,

I have the ARB canopy, smooth finish with racks. Very happy with the setup. One thing to take note of, though...when mine was fitted and obviously after the sports bars were removed, I noticed small indentations in the panel work where the bars had been over-tensioned to the side of the tub. My D22 is white and it is not so noticeable, in fact I don't even notice it at all now, perhaps because you just get used to it forget about it. I was told by the Nissan dealer I go to that this issue is common in the D22 and you will notice it more with the darker colours. The service manager in fact said some he had seen were shocking. Mine is an 06 D22.. I do not know if this is still an issue with the newer 2.5 CRD.

When I made a warranty claim (really more to just see what Nissan would have to say for themselves), it was rejected by Nissan. Shock horror !!!! Their excuse was that the sports bars are part of the vehicle as sold and bad luck if there are a couple of dents behind them when you take them off. Also, they said I should have fitted the "genuine" Nissan canopy, because theirs hangs down over the side of the tub slightly more and covers the said dents !! Thanks for telling me that when I bought the vehicle, I said !!!! Hope this info helps.

Dave

Latest posts

Back