Organising the Next musters, 2013, 2014, etc

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryc

Reaction score
I've started this new thread to bring together people's thoughts in a separate new thread, rather than the ideas being all over existing threads. Hopefully it will make it easier for people to find thoughts, ideas comments about this task that they want to add too.

Can I further suggest that each idea gets a separate post. This makes it easier for quoting and it ensures your comment isn't lost in a large post.

Also, polls would be handy to give better feedback on some matters, like notice, cost, activities(?), good location or bad voting, etc.

Edit; my apologies for posting a few msgs, but these were just the things I picked up reading the forum tonight.

Last edited:
Date & Location need to be known a year in advance?

The comment was made that the date and location of musters needs to be known a year in advance.

Having organised national activities before, I can not emphasise how important it is to give as much notice as possible. If you are in first with the date, then people can and will plan other activities around the date.

State based teams to do basic site investigation

I've made a comment somewhere else that it might be a good idea if each state established a "team" who job is to get off their arse and investigate locations.

Each state team can investigate any number of locations whenever they like.

It would be good if this was done well in advance and the main committee decides before the forthcoming muster when & where the muster after that is going to be. so every one leaves that muster knowing that next year the muster is on this date at this location.

Currently we are at the same situation as last year with "someone" having to now start the whole job of running around to find a location in ???(Qld?)

Basically, each team investigates a location and documents* facilities, 4WD Tracks, tourist attractions, garages, fuel, repairs, resources needed etc. Then the state team can say "we like this one best and since it is our turn in two years time, we will put that forward to the main committee for acceptance.

This means the main committee's workload is lightened and other people are getting a toe in the water of organising some bit of a muster.

The main "official" committee still does the talking to sponsors, finance, etc.

*Stuff has to be written up as stuff in someone's head can be lost through accidents, illness, etc.

Having a definite,regular date doesn't work

Tony has asked about stuff like a specific long weekend, etc.

That idea works great for state based events, but I'm going to suggest some reasons why this will not work/isn't a good idea.

Basically weather. Winter in Victoria = BRRRR. winter in FNQ, hmmm.

In the future, W.A. wants people to come over there This might require a date that maximises school holiday overlap as people need time to drive over.

Not every state has every long weekend on the same date.

Fuff, some of them don't exist every year. Does anyone remember the regular Australia day long weekends?

Ok its queenslands turn next year? If thats the case is it worth thinking about having on the weekend before RLI's cape trip? It may be too much or it may make it easier for some of the southeners who have expressed a interest in going to the cape.

Cruiser Park??? It's positioned pretty well for anyone in NSWs and as high as Townsville to come down

This isn't a bad idea.

Queensland was supposed to be next but there's also the thought that holding it on the same weekend every year at the same location has value as well (look at the Deni ute muster). I definitely think a poll is worth having, particularly on locations.

The original idea was to put the event at a central location (Gilgandra is about as central as we could get for the four highest population centres), then follow it up by moving to various states to let more people from those states come along and have fun.

Naturally the original event had more NSW people show than anyone else. We expected that there'd be more Victorians for this year's event but apart from Geoff, only ONE person from Vic had actually signed up. Note: we can't fork out money for shirts or hats and stickers and other stuff just based on the "I think I might come along ... oh fuggit, I might go wash my favourite bonsai pot".

I must also add that the committee was rather screwed around this year with numerous delays - probably not intended to sabotage the event but that was what the result was. We couldn't get a venue early enough, and when we finally could, some other bastards had "just booked in ahead of us" so we had to look elsewhere. As it was, we had to change weekends because of a conflict with other groups. I don't think this gained us much favour with potential attendees.

Personally, I'm determined that this won't happen again. Either we get a firm commitment from attendees (which means cash, people) or the event doesn't happen. We'll also make DAMN sure that once the venue is picked, we'll secure the date and start asking people to cough DEPOSITS. Not the full amount. Just a token $20 or so per car will do, so that we can get actual numbers much, much earlier.

Part of our problem this year was planning how much of everything to get. How many people were coming? How many cars would there be? How many people had experience in off-road recovery, first aid etc? We didn't know. There was a lot less hype this year too - I do think BossHog was a solid, driving force and kept the momentum up. He's obviously good at that sort of thing. Add to that the loss of committee members, plus Luke losing his job and we really were behind the 8-ball.

But, maybe we should learn from this and leave the bad shit behind and start with next year.

Where do we go? Janowen Hills 4WD Park has good camping facilities and 4WD tracks of various grades. Good? I've had this place recommended to me by several people so naturally it's high on my list of places to check out. Luke (now Chairperson of the committee) has been there and rates the place very highly. Are there other places that should be considered? We need to have the following facilities:

* Toilets - preferably flushing, NOT pit/composting
* Garbage disposal
* Showers
* Undercover areas in case of rain
* Mustering area for welcomes, speeches, handouts & photos
* Circle Work Area (see, "CWA" is NOT something purely for women).
* 4WD tracks close by
* Nearby destinations of interest
* Fuel

Losing ONE of these things shouldn't be considered an event-killer. It's also nice to consider things like this:

* Entertainment - could just be campfires, but roping Lee Kerneghan might be fun (that is ROPE with an O)
* Food - a supplied dinner on one of the nights goes down well
* A separate area for kids to play in away from the vehicles and traffic
* The possibility of night 4WDing
* Phone/mobile internet coverage
* Having the site to ourselves

These things were all covered by the committee. We had one night run last year, we opted out of the band which was good because we didn't quite have enough money to cover it (although we could have gotten Kurt Cobain with a Ouija board). Ados also fulfilled ALL of the other requirements - even the little waterfall (who remembers its name? Hickey Falls!) - and of course Siding Springs Observatory.

There might be more things to consider. If there are, tell us! Help us - we're not doing this for ourselves, it's for everyone!

Most importantly, be up-front. If you want to go, say so and stand behind it. If you would like to go but can't stand the prick that writes these interminably long posts and THAT is why you won't go, then just say so. Unless we get good, accurate feedback, it's very difficult to guess. We've tried crystal balls and the only thing the bitch said was that my great uncle was now dead (duh), I'd come in to money within the week (yes, I got paid) and someone I knew would become sick. Like that doesn't happen every day.

So, yes - this is a good idea. Get the discussion happening.

Last edited:
Just a thought... In Qld, what about Fraser island?
I realize it is more expensive due to barge costs.
But I am sure Fraser is on a lot of to do lists, this would increase numbers.

Cruiser park has all the right amenities and ticks all the right boxes. If it was considered I would put my hand up for some organizing. And I'm sure they would be interested in such a big group/event coming.

I think Tony has covered things pretty well and I can't add a lot to what he's said.

I'm happy to continue helping the committee when and where I can but the committee really needs someone fairly close to the chosen site to do the actual preliminary on site stuff.

I think sticking with 4wd parks is the best way to go.
No dealing with committee to get permission to be in areas. Just ring, book, pay, party.
Also like joshy said, on private property he and maybe others could bring there comp truck and give us a taste of what Tuff Trucks is like.

Cruiser park has all the right amenities and ticks all the right boxes. If it was considered I would put my hand up for some organizing. And I'm sure they would be interested in such a big group/event coming.

I could also put in for some organizing and run-around work, checking out sites, etc.

How would a place like Fraser affect the liability insurance, etc of the committee?

Can't do that I don't want anyone to see me with my shirt off.

My 2c is that Frazer Island is not a muster. People have listed a lot of stuff they want to see/do at a muster and Frazer Island just about cancels all of them.

Back