Can't lock with remotes if 12v plugged in?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b2tf

Reaction score
Weird one and I'm more just wanting to know if it is 'normal' before I go searching for the problem.

I found tonight that if I have something plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in my D40's dash, that I cannot lock the car using the remotes.

Is this normal? It's just a torch charger I have plugged in so nothing serious, but it doesnt seem right that to lock the car I would have to unplug it every time.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't think it's normal. I'm sure atleast once I'd have left something plugged in and locked the car.

Thanks, seems a bit odd to me too. I'll try it using something else plugged into it and see if it does the same thing.

I would probably only have had my GPS, iPod or phone plugged in which are fairly low current draw items but I'm not even sure a higher current draw would make the difference. It's definitely an odd one.

Just ducked out and tried locking it with the GPS still in - worked fine. Looks like the torch charger is the problem.

Maybe it's got something to do with the current draw but I wouldn't have thought any torch with a ciggie lighter plug would have much of a current draw.

Any one tested if the same results happens in both aux points? Don't know why it would be different but in mine one aux is live and the other is on ignition, maybe if it can be diagnosed as only one of them it might lead to an reason.

Just ducked out and tried locking it with the GPS still in - worked fine. Looks like the torch charger is the problem.

Is the socket in question live?

Is there a current rating on the torch charger?

It may be a safety feature of sorts that helps you remember not to walk away with a higher drain item plugged in so that you don't run the risk of coming back to your car and finding the battery flat and no central locking. Phone chargers and the like use sweet FA when plugged in but a torch depending on what it's got to charge could well be enough to trip some circuitry that those boffins at Nissan put it and didn't make public.

Is the socket in question live?

Is there a current rating on the torch charger?

It may be a safety feature of sorts that helps you remember not to walk away with a higher drain item plugged in so that you don't run the risk of coming back to your car and finding the battery flat and no central locking. Phone chargers and the like use sweet FA when plugged in but a torch depending on what it's got to charge could well be enough to trip some circuitry that those boffins at Nissan put it and didn't make public.

Yeah it could be. I found the issue when I had it plugged into the cigarette lighter (so only works when key on) but prior to that I did have it into the 12v DC one below it, saw it was charging without key on and thought I'd better take it out for the exact reason you described - didn't want to come out to flat battery the next morning.

Might test it out by plugging it into 12vDC again and see if it locks.

Back