d22 eng probs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubbsy351

Reaction score
hi ive got an 02 d22 with a zd30, with 120,000 ks and log book servicing. when driving in 4th gear above 2500 rpm (80 km/h) aprox the engine starts to miss, so far i have checked all hoses/ fuel lines for leaks, all good, and i replaced the fuel filter with a new ryco filter. this still didnt fix the prob so i took it to a mechanic who said these engines need to have a genuine filter or they suck air, so i paid for him to fit a new genuine filter and the prob is still there. the mechanic reackons it a stuffed injector pump and told me to take it to nissan. anyone got any other ideas as to what could be causing this prob?
cheers

hi ive got an 02 d22 with a zd30, with 120,000 ks and log book servicing. when driving in 4th gear above 2500 rpm (80 km/h) aprox the engine starts to miss, so far i have checked all hoses/ fuel lines for leaks, all good, and i replaced the fuel filter with a new ryco filter. this still didnt fix the prob so i took it to a mechanic who said these engines need to have a genuine filter or they suck air, so i paid for him to fit a new genuine filter and the prob is still there. the mechanic reackons it a stuffed injector pump and told me to take it to nissan. anyone got any other ideas as to what could be causing this prob?
cheers

Hi Stubbsy,
It sounds like you have a fuel problem somewhere this will cause the engine to miss. If you have replaced the filter and checked all the fuel lines for air leaks it sounds like it could be a faulty injector. You will have to take it to a mechanic so they can pull each injector out and test them to make sure they are working correctly. If all the injectors are working correctly you might need a new injector pump.
Hope this helps.
Diesel

hey guys, looks like we have found the problem, it appears to be a faulty gear pos sensor, got the hot tip from a diesel mech in brissy who said he has seen a few do this, so i have replaced the sensor ($62 from nissan) and problem appears to be gone (touch wood). appaernly this sensor stuffs up and sends a dodgy signal to the injector pump. will have to see how it goes over the next week but so far its been behaving.:D
cheers for all the help!
stubbsy

hey guys, ive just spoke to a bloke in sydney who was haveing the same probs so i told him what i had done to fix mine. he done the same to his and said it was fixed! looks like this might start to become a common prob? as the guys that told me about it said they had done a few of them.

hey guys, ive just spoke to a bloke in sydney who was haveing the same probs so i told him what i had done to fix mine. he done the same to his and said it was fixed! looks like this might start to become a common prob? as the guys that told me about it said they had done a few of them.
Im the guy from Sydney what stubbsy351 says is 100% on the money all fixed $62 my D22 has done 160000 I had the injectors replace also they can't be serviced :( Nissan recomend they should be done at 100000 $995 just for the injectors :eek:

Anyway it now screams :D Thanks again mate

hey guys, looks like we have found the problem, it appears to be a faulty gear pos sensor, got the hot tip from a diesel mech in brissy who said he has seen a few do this, so i have replaced the sensor ($62 from nissan) and problem appears to be gone (touch wood). appaernly this sensor stuffs up and sends a dodgy signal to the injector pump. will have to see how it goes over the next week but so far its been behaving.:D
cheers for all the help!
stubbsy

Heard of this a few times, I haven't heard of any ZD30 powered models mainly the YD25 non CRD models.

Dave.

Hi Guys,

I serviced a customers D22 the other week and afterwards it was surging 3rd and 4 th gears. I thought we'd stuffed up by not using a genuine fuel filter or an air leak, so changed that no luck, ended up plugging in the scanner whilst driving the vehicle and checked the live data, and the neutral position switch turns on/off/on/off as it surges. Replaced said switch all's good. Had a second vehicle with same fault two days ago, replaced switch and it's all sweet too. Dave, they were both ZD30's.

Cheers Tanz.

I'm almost tempted to grab one of the gearbox switches and leave it in the tool box, would hate for it to pack up on a trip away somewhere.

I'm almost tempted to grab one of the gearbox switches and leave it in the tool box, would hate for it to pack up on a trip away somewhere.

Not a bad idea mate. Might order one off Nizzbits off Patrol4x4.com.

Dave.

Dave, both '03 models from memory (I will check this on the work computer).

The fault only occured under acceleration, so i personally wouldn't run out to grab one to carry in the glovebox as they are right up the top of the box and we've found almost impossible to remove without a crowfoot socket.
The local dealership's carrying them in stock, so I reckon unless you're doing a big trip across the centre you'd be able to pick one up within a day or so.

I drove mine for a month like it Nissan only took 6 hours to get one in.

Hi guys
My d22 seems to have the same problem in 3rd & 4th gear with this surging under load to replace this neutral switch do i need to have it done by nissan or can i do it myself at home?

Thanks steveo D22

HI ALL THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BENEFIT FROM THIS EXPERIENCE!
your neutral position switch is as you look at the gearbox from the top, on the right hand side and screws pretty much into the side of the aperture on top of the gearbox where the gear levers come out ( hope that makes sense). it will probably make more sense when you see it.

TOOLS N BITS REQUIRED:
1 x neutral postion switch NISSAN PART No: 3200623U6A (should cost around £58.00 + vat)
1 x 3/8 ratchet
1 x 19mm deep socket to fit ratchet (you may get away with a 1/2 drive one but it will be a squeeze)
1 x 19mm deep sensor socket ( same as 19mm deep socket but with a long section cut out of the side)
1 x side cutters.
1 x torch (AA maglite works best)

ok so you have your tools, the sensor socket is really important DO NOT try doing it this way if you only have spanners!!!!!
no need to jack up your truck, crawl under right hand side of vehicle as close to the front mudflap as you can until you can see up the side of the gearbox and transmission tunnel, follow the wires up until you find 2 block connectors, 1 should be grey with rounded ends the other brown and rectangular, this is the 1 you want, disconnect plug and follow wires up to switch ( you may have to wiggle around a bit here to see it, you should now understand what i mean about it's position in relation to the gearstick aperture) cut off the wires with your side cutters and remove switch with 19mm socket and wratchet, replace with new switch and screw into hole until hand tight, now using the sensor socket tighten switch making SURE the sensor wires come out the cutout in the side of the socket and re-connect multiplug. job should be a goodun.
if you only have spanners the only way to replace switch is to remove everything around the gearstick hole in the transmission tunnel and go in through the top.
providing you dont cut the wrong wires like i did this job should only take you about an hour

Latest posts

Back