front diff seal leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morticus

Reaction score
hey guys, so ive noticed a sizeable puddle of oil from under the ute. upon closer inspection, its coming from where the front diff leaves the gearbox. Am i still able to drive in 2wd without causing damage? Is this seal easy and/or cheap to replace?

I'm a assuming you mean the transfer case? If that's where it's leaking from I would be driving it as little as possible until you get it fixed. D40's have permanent hubs, so even when the transfer case is in 2wd the front drive shaft still turns over. If you have a transfer case leak and you lose all the fluid it will cause major damage... I'd get it looked at asap.

Thanks bloke, i figured as much. Pain in the ass because im stuck for coin and am still paying for a wedding in 2 weeks.

It shouldn't be a hard job to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined, otherwise some forum members may be able to help. Should only be a couple of hours work if it's just the seal that has to be replaced

I was talking to my old man about the leak i have, he suggested it is because the gearbox seems to push oil to and create excess pressure sometimes in the transfer case and thats why these seals blow. He said that on every cruiser he has owned, he gets a custom made hose that connects to the oil fill plug on both the transfer case, and the gearbox/transmission. When excess fluid builds up in the transfer case, instead of putting pressure on the seals in that area, it simply flows back up to the gearbox. Is this something that anyone would consider? Or is there no point to it on the Navara? Seems extremely logical, unless im missing something...

Not sure you would be able to do that if you have a manual trans as it uses gear oil gl-4 while the transfer case is ATF fluid.

i know what you mean on the cruisers its been a common cheap fix for years. but you cant do it to the nav as the gearbox and transfer run 2 different oils.... the transfer runs automatic fluid as it is lighter for the electric actuator to engage 4wd. the gearbox runs 75-80w definetly not a combo you would want mixing. the transfer is a specific auto fluid to. important to put in the right stuff on these new cars....

Ah ha. Well done boys, that's as good an answer as you could give! Had no idea they ran different oils even... shows how much i know!

So the transfer doesn't have a breather??
I thought they both did
Ile check mine
22's might be different?

Latest posts

Back