Snatch Strap Use By Date?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,

what you reckon of this snatchy that dad handed to me? (ex-mining vehicle standard for toyota landcruiser utes)

its got this big tear in the middle near the loop:
dsc02560m.jpg

this is the other side of the hole near the end of the loop:
dsc02559at.jpg

and this decent fray on the side:
dsc02558bl.jpg

do you reckon its unsafe to use this strap? its a 75mm wide strap rated at 10t, but i dont think its trustworthy with the damage on it.

perhaps just keep it as a tow rope? or just ditch it?

cheers,
george

I'd be throwing it out mate, i know when it comes to soft slings any tiny frays cuts even oil on them your supposed to cut them up and throw them... Better to be safe than sorry i think could damage the cars or fly off and hit someone. Just my thoughts!

i bought a tga 8t strap as a replacement and got it in the mail today, so i'm just wondering if the old straps got any possible use other than for snatching?

maybe just wrap it around some part of the car as protection or shit knows what, lol

i'll think of something useful

cut it and throw it away mate, you dont want to be tempted to use it as an extention or something down the track. Too many bad things can happen.

i used my old snatch to tow logs back to camp. Only lasted for a few logs.

Dont forget visible wear or not, snatches are only spose to be used a certain amount of times...cant remember how many...

I think it more along the lines of 10 to 15 times then there not recommended a to be used for heavy snatches, but i would keep the old one and use it for something like towing a stranded car but not snatching.

yeah i dont think it would be as high as 50. 10 to 15 rings a bell. Snatches work on elasticity..so over uses it will lose its original properties.

Iv got torn 8t snatchy thats a little torn and like i said i keep it spare for 'in case' such as towing a car which may have blown an axle or diff on the straight stuff, no hills or ruts, i dont want to use drag chain or a good snatchy running along the ground in that situation, but i definately would not use it where there would be excessive force.

Even in that sort of situation, there's still some elasticity in the strap and if it lets loose while you're towing, you still have a missile.

I'd shred the thing. When it comes down to safety, taking chances isn't worth it. You'll do it, it'll go wrong, and you'll look back and say "I shoulda tossed it out and used something undamaged".

Considering i was trying to pull out tree stumps on my property with a frayed snatchy, (i know it was a stupid thing to do), i think towing a no resistance car with one is no harm.

Before i say any more my frayed snatchy is no where near as bad as the one shown here, its just a tiny rip for now, but i dont use it for snatchying bogged trucks.

Latest posts

Back