Converting from Z24 to Td27 ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitey86

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at doing a conversion to TD27 replacing my old and stuffed Z24
Has anybody done this ???
My main concern is the wiring , Fuel and if i can convert a Auto motor to manual and use my current FS5W71C gear box.

Any help Thx

TD27 or TD27T?

You can use your gearbox, but need a different bellhousing. Good luck with that.
Do you have the auto box? Nothing wrong with an auto.

Fuel, Z uses an electric in-tank lift pump, TD pulls straight through a hose, will need to modify, or perhaps you coudl use a surge tank under the body - in-tank lift pump pumps to surge tank, diesel injector pump pulls from that. Diesel fuel tank is I believe baffled, the Z tank not.

I'm putting a TD27T into my D21, and I'm going to try the surge tank.

Wiring - you may need to do the whole loom and dash, which would be painful.

Search the forum - plenty of info.

Thx Pinelli
I am thinking the TD27T out of a Terrano and plan to get a donor car so that i can just swap most of it over , i would put a auto in it but would prefer a manual.

Are the TD27 and TD27T basically the same motor , i.e. non turbo and turbo or are there big differences.

I believe basically the same

Currently have a Terrano in the shed, with td27t and auto out and ready to go in the Nav myself. School holidays in 2 weeks, I'm keen to get it done.

I can tell yo uone thing already - getting the loom out of the Terrano was an absolute PITA

I've gone the other way, z24 upto vg33e. Will end up nice result.......... But, lots of money and time and mods to hurdle over. In hindsight (which is a wonderful thing) A ke24 would have been a smarter option. Good luck with your Deisel D21 mate. Just a slight Torque increase? Lol. Cheers Steve

Swapping dash display, yes. Duffs are slightly different but I'm not going to worry about them.

VG30 was original plan but came across the diesel at local wreckers first. It's all driven by the need to replace the gearbox. It was cheaper to buy the Terrano than have the box redone. Go figure.

I was going down the path of fitting a Ecotec with 4L60E box mated to the transfer , But after research it just didn't seem to be the Reliable option.

Im Now chasing the most reliable on and off road engine , not even bothering about Power.

I looked into the VG30 as well but those motors were never very good from factory , so TD27T it will be !!!

I've heard the VG30 were pretty bulletproof, as are the KA, but nothing wrong with the TD27 for sure. There is someone across the ditch who has put an RB25 under the bonnet, which were used in the Patrols for a while as well as a range of other cars.

Yea I've also heard the KA are a good motor , the yanks seem to love them , and the TD27 from all reports is bullet proof.
Im mainly looking for a good , reliable engine , and one that has the low down torque of a diesel , good for launching the boat off the beach !!

VG30 to a TD27

Have been searching the web for weeks trying to find someone who has actually done this converson. We have a dead VG33 in a D21 4x4 with the 5 speed stick and would like to make the swap if its worth it. Can anyone help out on this? If you have done the swap, interested in knowing what kind of issue you had doing the swap, and what kind of power and mileage you now have compared to what you were getting.

Thanks

You may find power a little disappointing.

Gear box won't mate. You'll need to change the bell housing, and probably main shaft. Suspect the engine mount points will be different.

I imagine that it would be just as much work as Z24 to TD27 , Ive been researching these petrol to diesel swaps and i havent found anybody who has done it yet either.

When i get started i will put up a build post so everyone can see whats involved

I'll be performing a ka24 to td27t conversion some time in the new year so would be interested to hear all about it.
And I'll share my experience too.

I'll be performing a ka24 to td27t conversion some time in the new year so would be interested to hear all about it.
And I'll share my experience too.

Will be interesting to see the differences between the two swaps, I will start a build thread as soon as it begins.

Cwolf , i see your also from Bunbury good to see another local South West Aussie on here.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see the differences between the two swaps, I will start a build thread as soon as it begins.

Cwolf , i see your also from Bunbury good to see another local South West Aussie on here.

Hey whitey I didn't realise you where a local, good to see .
We'll have to catch up sometime.

When I first got my nav I swore by the petrol engine but things change and what I want it to do has changed too so out she comes.
Even though the ka is still a great motor.

Latest posts

Back