camping toilet

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJG

Reaction score
Hi

Am chasing ideas people use for toilets with young children while camping.
Have looked on the net and found plastic folding toilet seats for about $30 up to around the $100 for a Jimmy's thunderbox. Anyone use these things or would recommend them?
I am happy with just the shovel but are lloking for some 'creature' comforts for the kids and the missus.

:feedback:

If you want a portable chemical toilet then Thetford are the brand to go for, they are the Engle of dunny makers.

Even half million dollar touring coaches are mostly fitted with Thetford electric flushing toilets.

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Thetford-465-Electric-Portable-Toilet-21-15L.aspx?pid=291173&menuFrom=20901#Description

There are also cheaper manual versions as well.

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Thetford-165-Porta-Potti-15L.aspx?pid=301901#Description

Don't bother with chemical toilets. Teach the kids (& missus) to dig a hole as early as you can -- till then dig a hole and sit a seat over it. You can buy them, or make them (an old dunny seat screwed to the bottom of a milk crate with a hole in it).

But have fun -- camping with kids is a great joy!

I'm just remembering the look on my son's face the first time he asked where the toilet was & I handed him the shovel :rofl2:

Shovel and squat. I had the wife doing it for 5 weeks on the cape trip. She understood me when I handed the shovel and a role of toilet paper. But you can buy the fold up toilet seats for added comfort

Fold up seat on top of a bucket is what we used when on the beach trips. Just stick some sand over the "mess" and bury it once it gets a tad full.

If it's a chemical toilet you're after, +1 on the Thetford range, they really seem to know their shit.

There are pros and cons with all different types of toilet facilities. Digging a hole is convenient, doesn't require chemicals but may be uncomfortable for some. You shouldn't do it too close to streams and runoff areas, and it should be deep enough to not present a hazard when covered over again. Some camping areas don't like you doing this.

Chemical toilets are easy to use (although a bit heavy when full) and need to be emptied in an appropriate location. If you're using Aquakem Blue in the waste tank, you should NEVER empty your toilet in a composting or septic toilet. We use a biological (enzyme-based) fluid in both top and bottom tanks, and we can dispose of our waste in any toilet - in fact, the rangers from NSW Forestry told us we should empty it in their toilet, because caravan toilets are generally over-treated and the excess will help in the forest toilets.

Another +1 for Thetford. When we were at Birdsville, my 5 year old daughter discovered she could snap one off down the cracks in the ground. She was so proud of herself :)

we have access to a chemical toilet, just don't have the room to carry one. D22 with 5 bodies doesn't leave a lot of room for the creature comforts so we are really limited to the camping essentials.

we bought a fold up seat that u attach a plastic bag to...all good cost $15 n keep two kids n a wife happy and takes up little room

http://www.2daloo.com/ is what we have for bush camping
Purchased it just as the new mob took over and after the postie put ours away so we didn't get it in time, firstly, they rang all their agents on our trip to see if we could pick one up on the way, but no go, they then sent it to a contact at the last place before we went off the track.

It was so late in the day, that they (recipient) wondered what was going on until we turned up.
Then we got hoe and found that the post office had induced the postie to find where he had hidden it. so we paid them for both and have a spare.

It needs a large garbage bag as a liner to help keep it clean. They did provide a couple with it, but we haven't found a source to buy our own.

It should be okay for kids as it is lower to the ground that a normal toilet and has a smaller hole than a normal toilet. Not so great on ancient knees.

If you have a single shelter, place it to the back so the lid rests against the back. The top is made from "craftwood", so I don't think it is going to be totally robust in the hinge area. Also, educate peeps to lower the lid rather than let it drop.

We plan on obtaining a chemical toilet for overnight stops and places where hole jobs are not allowed. We won't be using chemicals, but dump it anywhere stuff. We rocked into the local camping store just after he Christchurh NZ earthquake and all the good ones had been recalled and the salesperson did not recommend the cheap $50.

Latest posts

Back