Ebay gps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockstandard

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I have literally just moved to melbourne from Perth and have been looking at getting a GPS that will help me learn the area as well as give me some off road maps as well. Seeing as i didn't want to spend a whole bucket load on an off the shelf GPS and I tend to like trying to sort things out myself, i decided to grab a unit off EBAY and get OziExplorerCE working on it.

I ended up grabbing this unit, though i'm thinking 5" display would have been fine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-7-Ca...S_Devices&hash=item3a7b1faf77#ht_12393wt_1165

Once it is delivered i will attempt to get it working and do a bit of a write up if anyone else is interested in doing something similar. If it doesn't work then $70 isn't such a bad loss.

Christian

Just went wheeling with a mate that had one similar to this one... I was very interested to see how it performed in the bush compared to my Garmin gps as Ozi-explore seems to be used by most people.... He had Sunmap topo maps on his gps as well. Well, it wasn't long b4 I knew that the Garmin system is so much better for navigating. I guess its what u are used to but to be able to zoom in w/o any pixelating is great.... Maybe my mate wasn't using it correctly but I'm more leaning to staying with Garmin and just update my topos when req'd

Yeah I imagine its probably a combination of what you are used to and these being a cheap system. My understanding is the ozi maps are pretty decent, but if need be I can convert maps that can be used. At the end of the day, if I can only use the supplied software for road maps and can't get ozi working I'm OK with that.

i have an old 7'' gps that i have igo8 as the road nav and oziCE for offroad, works well for what i want, and pretty cheap to setup!

bryan

i have an old 7'' gps that i have igo8 as the road nav and oziCE for offroad, works well for what i want, and pretty cheap to setup!

bryan

Yeah, I was wondering if the bigger screen would make much difference when using Ozi... Memory Maps seems to be getting more popular and I notice that the 4WD show on 7mate on weekends called "All 4 Adventure" uses a Tablet type setup but didn't get a good look at it to see if it was Ozi or not..... I'm assuming it is though and using Hema Maps as that's one of their sponsors. It was a tablet type (10") attached to his dash some how..... Looked really good for the little time I saw it.

This one uses igo8 as well. So if nothing else it will hell me get around Melbourne. I already have an in dash DVD player that I can hook up a camera to if I wanted, but I don't need that just yet. I just have to figure out where to put this gps now :eek:

This one uses igo8 as well. So if nothing else it will hell me get around Melbourne. I already have an in dash DVD player that I can hook up a camera to if I wanted, but I don't need that just yet. I just have to figure out where to put this gps now :eek:

I've been told that when/if u switch between using Igo and Ozi, that u have to make sure that u save your tracklog file other u will lose it.... is that correct?

I've been told that when/if u switch between using Igo and Ozi, that u have to make sure that u save your tracklog file other u will lose it.... is that correct?

yeah i have read something similar. I imagine if Ozi is running off windowsCE that there would be an option to do that. Will just have to rememeber when i swap them over.

Arrived today. Initial impressions are its not too bad. Its a little slow to load sometimes, but that doesn't really bother me at all. And for $70 its doing the job that I wanted it to. Just need to grab ozi and try to install it.

Last edited:
Used this yesterday with the standard software that this ships with ( igo8 ). For $70 I definitely can't complain. Has red light camera warnings, servo locations, routing with or without tolls, speed warnings and a fair but more. If anyone is looking for a cheap GPS then I can recommend this bad boy as cheap alternative. The touch screen might not be responsive as the more expensive name brand units, but this works pretty well. Over Christmas I will prob get the oziexplorer software and have a go and installing it.

Latest posts

Back