Which Tyres are best?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Malman

I know this is a common topic but there is so much talk out there between Cooper ST and BFG AT KO for all terrain use. The companies propganda machines must be working overtime ! I have run Coopers on my wifes Xtrail for 3 years with no problems, but its mainly blacktop use. Now I have the Navara I am looking at upsizing to a 265/75/R16 BFG AT KO which has a slightly more aggressive thread pattern.. These are taller that the 275/70R16 which are wider, but I prefer the 12mm height difference. I am leaning towards the BFG given the blokes in the bush seem to use them and whilst both companies have had issues with their rubber previously in these ranges, I belive the later stock (Light Truck version made in USA) is the way to go? Any comments?

Have you considered Mickey Thompson, they have a couple of different AT's.

I think I'm getting the 4 rib just after Christmas to replace the stock tyres. Hard decisions.

Thanks Jason, after much deliberation I went for Cooper Zeon LTR, they are fantastic looking tyre on the Navara plus in the recent wet on the blacktop they performed really well. They are a cross between the ST and the ATR from Cooper. I went for a 265/75/R16 to get an extra 58mm on heaight over the 255/75/R16. The vehicle handles better and feels good on dirt tracks. Havent done too much testing but can report back if wanted.

Any reports you can give us would be good.

Price? Did you mean LTZ? I can't see the LTR anywhere?

I wanted to get the mtz from micky thompson just before my latest set of bf goodrich muddies but the sales rep for mt couldnt guarantee more than 70,000k life out of them. Is this true?
My last set of bf goodrich muddies i got 120,000k out of em.

Could be, the MTZ's and the Claw's are the only tyres on their site that doesn't have a mileage warranty.

I now have 35000km on my BFg al terrians and they are stuffed mainly from chipping
Have been tyre shopping and no one wants to sell me mickeys or any muddies they all reccomend either bfg all terrains or cooper st-c or goodyear duratrac

I asked the service manager where I bought my car from about tyres today. He ought to know his stuff - he drives in the Variety Bash each year, among other things.

He recommended that I choose a tyre suited to my driving needs.

For black-top use and occasional off-road (including mud, swims and sand) the BF Goodrich AT was good although a bit slippery - it's at least better than the Continental Contitracs I have at the moment.

For really serious off-road use he recommended Mickey Thompson Bajas. I know nothing about them, but he said that they were a clear winner over the other less expensive tyres like Coopers and BFG's.

He also mentioned Pirelli ATs but hinted that a lottery win would help soften the blow.

My usage will mostly be exactly as per the first scenario: and when these Continentals need replacing, BFG will probably get my money. I actually don't have a problem with the Continentals - I don't drive hard and I'll be towing a 1.8tonne full-sized caravan with it. They're a little noisy on some smoother surfaces (like concrete highway) but I'm told that for my needs, they're more than satisfactory.

I have had 2 sets of Cooper ST's on my Navara. One set is on now, I also have a set of MTZ's in the shed for play time which is not often enough.

Dave.

I heard the mickey's are better in the bush because there a softer compound hence why they dont last as long on the road, also i have noticed with my 2nd set of bf muddies they have chipped a lot easier than my first set.

i have a set of bfg a/t on my d40 now and have had em on last 2 cars aswell (97 rodeo and 79 series cruiser) cant say a bad word about em. 90% of our work utes have them on aswell (hilux's) the rest have cooper atr's. a mate has a set of copper st's on his rodeo and ride wise and handling the bfg's win hands down. the cooper being 10ply tend to be obviously alot stiffer when cornering and ride harder, with a bit more noise coming out of em aswell.

i'll stick wth the bfg a/t's any day. jmo:victory:

Tyres

Went shopping for tyres yesterday - wanted Desert Deullers - prices ranged from $285 to $329 for the same tyres - it pays to shop around.
There are plenty of tyre places around Cranbourne /Dandenong area so had many to compare with.
Settled for 265/75/16 - D694s @ $285 and according to dealer they are 10 ply which he recons should be best for towing and next years holiday?? on the Canning stock Route.
Have had DDs before with no problems - we will see how these go.
The original Continentals only lasted for 42,000ks.

Jeff.

Went shopping for tyres yesterday - wanted Desert Deullers - prices ranged from $285 to $329 for the same tyres - it pays to shop around.
There are plenty of tyre places around Cranbourne /Dandenong area so had many to compare with.
Settled for 265/75/16 - D694s @ $285 and according to dealer they are 10 ply which he recons should be best for towing and next years holiday?? on the Canning stock Route.
Have had DDs before with no problems - we will see how these go.
The original Continentals only lasted for 42,000ks.

Jeff.

If your planning on doing the Canning Shock Route, then I would recommend 2 good spares. (rims and tyres)

I'm in a loan car at the moment, my D40 is in for a small electrical adjustment to the auxiliary power and having its pollen filters fitted.

The loaner is a D22 STR 2.5 litre CR turbo diesel manual. It's fitted with Bridgestone Desert Duellers.

I will never, ever, and shoot me if I do, buy these tyres for my car. It's raining lightly in Newcastle today and this thing slides all over the place. Yuck, yuck, and I can't wait to take it back - but only because of the tyres.

I notice that the thing has gobs of torque at idle. Gently let out the clutch without touching the accelerator and she rolls happily until you have let the clutch fully out.

The scary thing was trying to accelerate on wet road, and in third gear, the tail end let go and drifted into the lane beside me. I wasn't even flat out on the accelerator!

Think yourself lucky my dealer down here only gives out Micra's if they give you anything at all

I'm in a loan car at the moment, my D40 is in for a small electrical adjustment to the auxiliary power and having its pollen filters fitted.

The loaner is a D22 STR 2.5 litre CR turbo diesel manual. It's fitted with Bridgestone Desert Duellers.

I will never, ever, and shoot me if I do, buy these tyres for my car. It's raining lightly in Newcastle today and this thing slides all over the place. Yuck, yuck, and I can't wait to take it back - but only because of the tyres.

I notice that the thing has gobs of torque at idle. Gently let out the clutch without touching the accelerator and she rolls happily until you have let the clutch fully out.

The scary thing was trying to accelerate on wet road, and in third gear, the tail end let go and drifted into the lane beside me. I wasn't even flat out on the accelerator!

Never had a problem in my Dueller's, grippy as, even in SEQ rain coming into storm season.

Light rain can be pretty slippery if it hasn't rained for a while, oils on the surface etc etc

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Tony, when my Navara had the Duelers on. The rear end would kick out easily in third through a round about not even trying.

There rubbish the original tyres.

Dave.

And the Continentals are supposed to be worse than the Dueller's, glad I didn't get them. My mate has a D22 with Cooper AT's he reckons the Dueller's on mine shit on his Coopers in the wet.

Latest posts

Back