4wd selector electricals

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippyjason

Reaction score
Greetings all.

Just over a year ago I replaced the 3 switches on the transmission because the 4WD warning light kept coming on. Since then all good until a month ago when the 4wd warning light came on again. I cleared it with the selector switch.

Then last week it came on and I found it tough to clear... in fact I couldnt get it to clear until after the car had been sitting turned off for some time. Then it cleared all good.

I tested putting it into 4 Hi and 4 Lo and it seems to go in, except the indication on the dash is intermittent and seems to get confused. So mechanically I think it's ok and the likely culprit is electrical

So yesterday I got under the vehicle and had a look see.. I traced the conduit that carries the wires to the switches under the vehicle and at the lowest point I found there was oil collecting inside the plastic conduit. I looked above that point and its bone dry.. so I followed the conduit up into the engine bay and looked in another point and the wires inside are oily. Low and behold the conduit runs right beside the oil filter.. So I reckon what has happened is during an oil change there's been some spill and some oil has got inside the conduit, followed the wires down inside and then its collecting at the lowest point.

I'm kinda glad I don't have an oil leak, but I'm stuffed to know how I should get the oil out of that conduit.. there seems to be wires going everywhere at various points..

Questions:
1) Anyone support the theory that this oil inside the conduit and around the wires could be a reason why I'm getting an electrical fault? I would have thought the wires are sealed but I guess if there are connections somewhere it could be an issue

2) Anyone have suggestions on how to do a bit of a cleanup inside the conduit around the wires?

Unlikely that oil is causing the problem, wiring is insulated. is the vehicle a manual? oil contamination in the gearbox can cause switches to fail very quickly. check the condition of the oil, water can get in past the rear shaft seal and turn the box oil into pink milkshake

To clean the oil out of the conduit you can use some contact cleaner or brake clean.

As long as oil is far enough away from the plug themselves I can see them being a issue also that theyre a on/off switch type sensor not a temp or resistant sensor. Also pull the actuator cover off the back of the transfer case (x4 screws) and check that there is no oil inside there or any of the plastic gears are worn/missing-including the case itself.

Another thing you may find is a abs line could be short or open circuit. us a multimeter to test resistance all should come back 0.0/ohms

Hi there having trouble with the 4wd on my nav, not sure if it is the selector or one of the plugs of the t/c but when trying to engage in 4HI the little diagram will light up as if selected and then with a mind of its own starts flashing and the car seems to struggle to push forward. not to sure if its the selector switch... has anyone else had this problem?

Latest posts

Back