4x4 Snatch Straps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navie Oiler

Reaction score
G'day Fellas,
Not sure if this is permitted on this forum.
I am in the business of manufacturing all sorts of webbing products and usually cater for the sport of skydiving.
As I have had fourbies for years I started to think about knocking up some recovery webbing.
The stitching and manufacture is just an extension of making parachute equipment.
So far I have made the 8000 kg snatch strap and soon I'm about to make the 11000 kg strap.
The good thing is that the straps are NOT made in sweat shops in China but in my factory in Brisbane.
So if I have overstepped the forum rules about telling my story then I do apologise.
Ok if all is good then I'll continue after I post this one...

Go for your life mate.

Out of interest, have you tested these to the limit ?

Not being a smart arse, just wondering what they snap at.

Probably a dumb question but do these things need to be ADR approved like seat belts?

I think it's highly unlikely. They aren't used to restrain in the case of accident, they are designed to be used in a controlled fashion. Given also that they cater to a niche part of the motoring market and not mainstream, it's unlikely that there'll ever be any ADR governing them.

And if there IS an ADR ever developed for them, watch the flow-on effect. Recovery points will have to be ADR approved, and the chassis mounting points, bullbars, hitch receivers, bow shackles, snatch blocks, dampeners - what a nightmare that will become!

"Sorry, sir, but your insurance policy does not cover having your vehicle damaged while being recovered by a Toyota using 12mm hi-tensile bolts in its recovery points, they needed to be 15mm. Have a nice day!"

"Sorry, sir, but your insurance policy does not cover having your vehicle damaged while being recovered by a Toyota using 12mm hi-tensile bolts in its recovery points, they needed to be 15mm. Have a nice day!"

Good point. I guess driving a d40, one would be exposed to that phrase quite often after being recovered so many times by a Toyota.

The ADR might also crack down on the non-RCD protected hair dryer outlets installed in the d40.

:saberfighting:

Last edited:
And if there IS an ADR ever developed for them, watch the flow-on effect. Recovery points will have to be ADR approved, and the chassis mounting points, bullbars, hitch receivers, bow shackles, snatch blocks, dampeners - what a nightmare that will become!

Umm, bow shackles used in towing registered trailers over 750Kg, do need to be approved. Two standards depending on which class.

Some caravaners were recently reported being pinged in Qld for not having approved shackles.

Note that the connecting chain has to meet yet another standard. <mutter, frigging hard to find online sources of aussie standards</mutter>

In any case, it shouldn't apply for recovery out bush and the last thing we want is having to meet "standards". It is a frigging nightmare.

That said, I would be interested in seeing some ball park prices. I'm in the market for some load/extension straps straps as the last thing I want is to have to carry yet more chain.

That was my whole point, Terry. Any attempt at regulating them would be a nightmare.

Are you considering using a strap for a flat tow? I'd only consider that on sand, not any other surface. We used my 20m winch extension to recover a bogged Toyota and just running it over grassy ground/mud (twice) for all of about 10 metres caused a small fray in it.

That was my whole point, Terry. Any attempt at regulating them would be a nightmare.

Are you considering using a strap for a flat tow? I'd only consider that on sand, not any other surface. We used my 20m winch extension to recover a bogged Toyota and just running it over grassy ground/mud (twice) for all of about 10 metres caused a small fray in it.

Ha ha I remember that day
No more Toyotas for my bro
He bought an old patrol last week
Now if I can just stop him from buying falcons :rofl:

I have 10m of agricultural chain with hooks at either that I've used for a general pull out/tow chain over the last 20 years. It probably weighs 10+ kg(guess) and I'm looking for a lighter replacement as part of a general weight reduction task.

Your comment about fraying is a bit of a worry, but not unexpected with synthetic fibres*. I've not used them with vehicles, but for slinging my butt over cliffs and you spent a lot of time making sure the ropes/slings/etc were not going to rub on anything.

I was thinking of adding a few load slings into the "recovery gear", but it would probably require a pair of wide mouth shackles to ensure the strap was totally flat on the pin and not bunched up and putting extra load on the strap edges.

*This is partly why I still carry my sisal ropes for the block and tackle.

Latest posts

Back