Diff Lockers air vs electric

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper

Reaction score
All,
As i need a new savings goal - i need to discuss the pros and cons of each type for the D40 (Thai built) Front and Rear.
As i think at this time, the air type needs the permanent mounted air compressor and a small tank to work. Also any damage to the air line will render it useless.

E-type - only decent electric cables to install and protect.

Is that the guts of it?
Cost wise for either option?

Hi grasshopper,

i work at arb, and run dual arb air lockers in my D22. Everybody has the own opinions in regards to whet is the "better" locker. I personaly prefer the air lockers.

With the arb combressor (CKMA12), it has a small built in chamber that allows you to run lockers and pump up your tyres so there is no need to run a air tank. If a air line is damaged it can be easy to repair in the field by chnging the line, were as if you damage a electric cable ur pretty much buggered.

The plus side to having an on-board compressor is that you will always have air to pump your tyres up, were if you just have a portable compressor, it takes up room in the tray and can be easily forgotten.

These are just my opinions and im not lookin for anybody to bite my head off.

Hi grasshopper,

i work at arb, and run dual arb air lockers in my D22. Everybody has the own opinions in regards to whet is the "better" locker. I personaly prefer the air lockers.

With the arb combressor (CKMA12), it has a small built in chamber that allows you to run lockers and pump up your tyres so there is no need to run a air tank. If a air line is damaged it can be easy to repair in the field by chnging the line, were as if you damage a electric cable ur pretty much buggered.

The plus side to having an on-board compressor is that you will always have air to pump your tyres up, were if you just have a portable compressor, it takes up room in the tray and can be easily forgotten.

These are just my opinions and im not lookin for anybody to bite my head off.

Personally, I don't see how you can repair an air line out on the field unless you carry the entire length with you everywhere you go or joiners clamps etc. I'm sure tape can't withstand the pressure.

However, an cut electric cable can be twisted together and taped for a temp fix.

But yes, you would need a separate air compressor to pump up your tyres. But a regular on board air compressor for air locker would be take ages to pump up 4x4 tyres.

Not biting off your head. Open for discussion.

Air= tire pump, quality and good history. All thats need to repair is a couple of 1/4" or 6mm joiner which is able to be found at any enzed or hose store.

Magnet= easy repair on side of the road, New product on the market but after looking at the parts list the whole locker relies on 3x 6mm pins that lock the axles together....im not to keen on it myself.

^^^ Sorry.. I was comparing air hose to cable. Apples to apples.. That's all...

I'm not too sure where your going at with that.

I like the e-locker idea because it require less components therefore less potential problems and probably easier and cheaper to install.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=13930&page=2

Last edited:
Have neither myself as I'd rather spend the money on a winch to get me out of strife. However I have two mates I drive with, both have lockers and both have had grief with the air seals leaking and always at the locker end not the compressor/tank end.

One (with a landrover) has had more trouble than the other and had to have his lockers back out of the diff three time I know of (I think his pride might prevent him letting us know about further garage visits).

From what I can see they are called "air leakers" for a reason and I'm going to stick to the winch

I have neither in my car, but I will probably go the e-locker so that I don't' have to have the compressor and high-pressure air lines. Electrical cable damage is possible, can be minimised by careful routing and shielding, and repaired as stated on the road with a few twists and some electrical tape.

The reason why a locker is important is to prevent damage to the front diff. It's an open diff - if one wheel lets go (lifts off the ground) the other wheel stops while the lifted wheel spins like mad. As soon as the spinning wheel makes contact with the ground, the energy transfers inwards to the axle and diff. The diff housing is the most likely to let go first, and the axles/CVs next.

Lockers prevent that sort of damage, so if you are going somewhere off-road, the locker will provide some insurance against what would otherwise be terminal, tow-the-bastard-home damage. Doesn't matter which one you prefer - if your boat floats on air or runs fire through a wire it makes little difference to the actual goal.

Oh, and testing the muddy puddles for obstacles that are likely to rip your air lines, e-locker cables, ABS lines, hydraulic lines, transfer case cables etc etc - is a smarter idea than any of the above.

Personally, I don't see how you can repair an air line out on the field unless you carry the entire length with you everywhere you go or joiners clamps etc. I'm sure tape can't withstand the pressure.

However, an cut electric cable can be twisted together and taped for a temp fix.

But yes, you would need a separate air compressor to pump up your tyres. But a regular on board air compressor for air locker would be take ages to pump up 4x4 tyres.

Not biting off your head. Open for discussion.

If you damage a line you put a joiner in.

and NO you DONT need a seperate compressor as the ARB CKMA12 is designed to run lockers and pump up tyres, take about 1min and 20 seconds to go from 18psi to 40psi. I know this as i do it every weeknd when i go out 4wding.

the reson ppl get oil up there lines is due to not engaging there lockers atleast once a month, same as when you have a winch you should run it out and back in once a month to stop the free spool and gear seizin over.

we get it all the time at work when a customer hasnt used there gear in over 6 months and when the go to use it is seized

I have neither in my car, but I will probably go the e-locker so that I don't' have to have the compressor and high-pressure air lines. Electrical cable damage is possible, can be minimised by careful routing and shielding, and repaired as stated on the road with a few twists and some electrical tape.

The reason why a locker is important is to prevent damage to the front diff. It's an open diff - if one wheel lets go (lifts off the ground) the other wheel stops while the lifted wheel spins like mad. As soon as the spinning wheel makes contact with the ground, the energy transfers inwards to the axle and diff. The diff housing is the most likely to let go first, and the axles/CVs next.

Lockers prevent that sort of damage, so if you are going somewhere off-road, the locker will provide some insurance against what would otherwise be terminal, tow-the-bastard-home damage. Doesn't matter which one you prefer - if your boat floats on air or runs fire through a wire it makes little difference to the actual goal.

Oh, and testing the muddy puddles for obstacles that are likely to rip your air lines, e-locker cables, ABS lines, hydraulic lines, transfer case cables etc etc - is a smarter idea than any of the above.

Spot on there old tony, the idea of a locker is to make things safe and to allow you to have more control over the vehicle off road, meaning u can crawl thru and lift a wheel and keep on goin instead of havin to give it the berries and smash ur way thru.

Iv had dual lockers for 6 months and use them almost every weeknd and havnt broken a CV or done dame yet if used correctly

I never said you need a separate compressor for air lockers.. Calm down. I was agreeing that you need a separate compressor when running e-lockers.

Grasshopper... Do a search on the website about pros and cons.

I'm going to get eaten alive by guys that live by their "tried and true" methods.

Last edited:
If you damage a line you put a joiner in.

and NO you DONT need a seperate compressor as the ARB CKMA12 is designed to run lockers and pump up tyres, take about 1min and 20 seconds to go from 18psi to 40psi. I know this as i do it every weeknd when i go out 4wding.

the reson ppl get oil up there lines is due to not engaging there lockers atleast once a month, same as when you have a winch you should run it out and back in once a month to stop the free spool and gear seizin over.

we get it all the time at work when a customer hasnt used there gear in over 6 months and when the go to use it is seized

How much do you sell the lockers for incl the compressor ? and how much for installation?

Hey Gazza414

Here are the prices mate

A Front Locker (RD182) is $1929 supplied and fitted.
A Rear Locker (RD201) is $1669 supplied and fitted.
For a CKMA12 Air Compressor & Tyre Inflation Kit its $545 supplied and fitted

Ok, so we now have at least one price for an ARB Air Locker. Does anyone have prices for the same in e-Lockers ?

Thanks for the information folks. Much appreciated.

Front E Locker for R180 D22 Front diff is 1900 fitted. I have priced it and will be purchasing one in the near future. I carry my compressor with me when I know I'm gonna air down and its never got in the way. Yes I will be permaneny mounting it sometime in the future.

Hey Gazza414

Here are the prices mate

A Front Locker (RD182) is $1929 supplied and fitted.
A Rear Locker (RD201) is $1669 supplied and fitted.
For a CKMA12 Air Compressor & Tyre Inflation Kit its $545 supplied and fitted

thankyou

I've had an ARB rear air locker fitted for 4 years now and used it everytime I go off the beaten track. My compressor is fitted under the passenger seat and I can pump all tyres from there. When I need to air up my camper tyres I decouple....no big deal. When I installed the rear locker the front one was not available.....I'm now not sure if I'll bother with the front one but will let you know when I get back from the Haunted Stream trip in late January. This is a photo of my old compressor that recently shit itself (after 12 years of hard work 4 in my D40 and 8 in my patrol before that). The new one is another ARB job that is physically smaller and higher volume.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Back