Gear Ratios Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy222220_0

Reaction score
Gear Ratios AAARRRGGHHH!

Just trying to work out how much my revs will drop with different tyres and percentage to adjust speedo corection box, but can't get the Ratios to work out? What am i Doing Wrong!

Attachments

• Gear Ratios.jpg
    Gear Ratios.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 91
I have gone over your calcs and can't see much wrong with them, but I am making some assumptions:

1) a tyre that is "30.6" inches refers to the diameter of the tyre's outside dimension, ie from tread to tread (measured horizontally, as there'll be some compression on the vertical axis).

2) Your values for gear ratios are correct - my manual is for an STX D40 and all of its ratios are different. My manual lists 4 different variations on all of the ratios for the exact same vehicle too, so this is somewhere I'd be looking at to verify things.

What I *can* say is that a ratio of 1 seems uniform across the models in 4th, so I'd actually be looking at your final drive ratio for the error.

I have gone over your calcs and can't see much wrong with them, but I am making some assumptions:

1) a tyre that is "30.6" inches refers to the diameter of the tyre's outside dimension, ie from tread to tread (measured horizontally, as there'll be some compression on the vertical axis).

2) Your values for gear ratios are correct - my manual is for an STX D40 and all of its ratios are different. My manual lists 4 different variations on all of the ratios for the exact same vehicle too, so this is somewhere I'd be looking at to verify things.

What I *can* say is that a ratio of 1 seems uniform across the models in 4th, so I'd actually be looking at your final drive ratio for the error.

Thanks, for your advice.

To make it work, the final drive ratio need to be 5.1:1 :dong:

Or the tyre size needs to be about 26" :dong: (265/70R16 STD)

Its like the transfer is 1.2:1 or something :dontknow:

Just work out the percentage difference in tyre diameter, and you have the percentage difference in speedo readout, percentage difference in engine revs, and percentage difference in circumference.

Back