Transmission radiator cooler bypass

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirnixalot

Reaction score
After reading up on the US forum about the frontiers running into problems where the transmission cooler in the lower radiator end tank would crack and the coolant would mix with the transmission fluid and bone the transmission eventually. While it's not something that happens often i am not taking any chances because i do not have money to buy another transmission lol

just took off one of the hoses and used the other hose....it will make sense when you do it.

mini-DSCF1762.jpg

capped oil cooler fittings
mini-DSCF1764.jpg

There were similar problems with BA Falcons. My mechanic mentioned it to me as we were discussing fitting a large transmission cooler to my Commodore - I didn't get all of the details, just that for this very reason, he fitted a separate transmission cooler to his own car.

I won't disconnect mine without a replacement being installed - I'm going to be towing, and that transmission will probably go a lot faster and in a bigger way than just getting wet.

My 2006 D40 Auto is coming up for its 80,000km service - it has a slight 80-100km torque converter grumble so I asked my local auto transmission place what he knew about it and what oil he used. Mine has Toyota auto oil in it now as the previous owner worked in a Toyota Service Section!!
He was quite knowledgeable about d40s - he said he will only use Nissan J oil and uses an additive which should stop the Converter grumble.
He also said he had read in a tech journal where there had been radiator oil cooler failiours so he recommended fitting another air to oil cooler. He quoted $400 and has done 1 already. I intend to do about 10000kms towing a 1tonne van this year so I am thinking of having it done. He also said he replaces about 1 BA Falcon box a week that have failed due to radiator water in the oil and has to rebuild boxes as there are no secondhand available.

Old Tony - where do you get your transmission cooler fitted in Newcastle? I am in the West Lake Macq area.

Adamstown Car Doctors did my Commodore's cooler, it was a bloody big unit too. About 6 times the surface area of the SuperCheap $99 job.

I'd give Sasha a ring and ask him if he's up for it, he's done the same thing to his own Falcon but as a preventative measure, not because of failure.

You could take it to ATS (Automatic Transmission Services) in Lambton (Lambton Rd, just east of the General Roberts hotel), but I'm more confident in Sasha's abilities.

Latest posts

Back