D40 EGR Blanking plate mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
Gday guys, thought i'd throw up a thread on the personal benefits of blocking the EGR pipe on my 2006 D40 STX.

First off, i purchased a blanking plate off this bloke:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blan...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d7a66bb7

Met up with him to make sure it was the right one etc. This bloke also does plug in diesel chips etc. Top bloke.

Now, this mod was done on my 2006 D40 STX. The only mod that would be relevant to the EGR mod would be my exhaust, which is the stock exhaust, with the rear muffler replaced with a piece of straight pipe. Both of these mods technically aren't legal, so do so at your own risk :)

First off, i planned on doing the manifold end of the EGR pipe, as that is what the plate shape was for (both ends of the pipe are a different shaped flange), but the two bolts holding this end of the pipe were almost bloody fused in there. So i slightly modified the plate so it would fit into the flange IN THE MIDDLE of the EGR pipe (there are 3 flanges, one at each end, one in the middle). This worked quite well. It would be super easy to make your own blanking plate with 2MM stainless steel, just drill a hole on each end of your plate to suit the bolt heads that screw into the flange.

After the plate was fitted with a fresh gasket and some gasket glue, i took the Nav for a spin. I instantly noticed the difference in the throttle. Barely had to rest my foot on it to get the revs up to around 2500rpm. I took it to Caltex and filled her to the brim with diesel. That was on Saturday morning. It hasnt dropped below a full tank on the old gauge yet and i drive around 30 to 40 km's a day to and from work. It isn't much, but the fuel economy HAS improved marginally.

The engine idles a fair bit smoother and shifts through gears a bit better. I took the plate out just to see how much gunk was on it, surely enough, it had a nice round shaped layer of black carbon crap on the plate itself. So this mod does work! For the price of purchasing a blanking plate or making your own, for me personally, it was well worth the short amount of time to fit it up.

:rock:

G'day Cobez,

I'm looking for info on blocking EGR on my 2.5 CR 09 D40, was just curious, did you have to modify your engine in any way. I have also read that after installing an EGR plate, the engine warning light comes on.. what's a way around that?

Hey NAVST-X, I have the same car as you, nothing was required except to add the plate. Don't disconnect the EGR valve's electronics - the valve will continue to open and close, but without any flow behind it (thanks to the blanking plate) it won't feed anything into the intake. Disconnecting the electronics WILL cause the CEL to light up.

Im just about to do the duplex timing chain conversion, and in the process found the erg pipe to have a crack in it. So when I ordered the timing chain kit of yd25.com.au I also thought I would give the erg delete pipe kit ago as well. Great to hear that it does help.

Hey NAVST-X, I have the same car as you, nothing was required except to add the plate. Don't disconnect the EGR valve's electronics - the valve will continue to open and close, but without any flow behind it (thanks to the blanking plate) it won't feed anything into the intake. Disconnecting the electronics WILL cause the CEL to light up.

Cheers mate. I have fitted mine shortly after this thread, the difference is awesome. Now I just have to stop kicking myself for not blocking it sooner lol

I tried to contact paul at yd25 through his enquiry form on his website about purchasing the whole egr delete kit but he hasn't got back to me. He doesn't have a checkout so I don't know how he makes his sales...

His Enquiry form works. I got a response fairly quickly, you just pay direct deposit once he sends you an invoice...

Hi Guys, I have just picked up my 2014 D40 ST. This is my second D40 and I didn't do the EGR mod on the first due to fear on voiding warranty or the likes. It's a leased vehicle and serviced at the dealer. What are your thoughts on this? Cheers

Hi Guys, I have just picked up my 2014 D40 ST. This is my second D40 and I didn't do the EGR mod on the first due to fear on voiding warranty or the likes. It's a leased vehicle and serviced at the dealer. What are your thoughts on this? Cheers

Easy to fit and take out in a few minutes, take it out just before service so at least you know they couldn't find it, even if it was fitted, chances are the dealer wouldn't know it was there unless you told him.

I wouldn't bother taking it out, I don't think dealers look that hard when servicing , with a previous car it was due for a service and air cleaner replacement so I taped a note to the filter saying " place in service book" checked service book and it wasn't there, no new filter either, so half the time they can't read the book let alone find the plate

Just was wondering if you guys knew about the "Gas Jet" removal/blanking?

Apparently there is a plate that sits in between your EGR pipe and the air intake manifold with a pipe that produdes into the intake (to create a vacuum to suck through the EG's) that impedes airflow into the motor (by about >3cm).

By removal of this and blanking it should create a less turbulent airflow into the motor... Making it a much happier machine....

As seen in YD25's EGR deletion kit http://www.yd25.com.au/index.php/products/egr-delete-pipe-kit

Blanking after the EGR valve would completely remove it from the intake.

Surely removing that pipe from interrupting the intake airflow will aid the fresh air flow into the engine?

This kit makes complete sense to me.

I found it amusing that for my 140,000km service (done last week), I asked the dealer to do a fuel pump learn reset for me and in the end-of-service report they said they'd done that, and the EGR function reset as well.

I took a look at the manifold - my blanking plate is still there, happily blocking the car's own farts. The dealers don't pay attention - my dealer is particularly good with the car, I'm happy with their servicing - yet time after time they overlook this.

Did mine on sunday..made a plate outa stainless steel plate bout 2 mm and just did the easy one on the driver side.You do need to notch out for a bolt right by the hole but is easy peasy job really..(if you have the gear..lost my grinder some where so thanks dad for saving the day).

I can honestly say the 2.5 feels a little smoother and more responsive.
Definitely worth doing for the time it takes

I found it amusing that for my 140,000km service (done last week), I asked the dealer to do a fuel pump learn reset for me and in the end-of-service report they said they'd done that, and the EGR function reset as well.

I took a look at the manifold - my blanking plate is still there, happily blocking the car's own farts. The dealers don't pay attention - my dealer is particularly good with the car, I'm happy with their servicing - yet time after time they overlook this.

I'm pretty certain I have asked a similar question about dpf removal but I have forgotten so apologies for raising similar question again.
Going off topic from blocking egr for a second, was just wondering.. after fitting my nav with a dpf delete pipe, do I need to remap ecu asap? does a lot of smoke come from the exhaust? I only ask because I'm pretty sure our navaras are the same year..

I'm pretty certain I have asked a similar question about dpf removal but I have forgotten so apologies for raising similar question again.
Going off topic from blocking egr for a second, was just wondering.. after fitting my nav with a dpf delete pipe, do I need to remap ecu asap? does a lot of smoke come from the exhaust? I only ask because I'm pretty sure our navaras are the same year..

Remapping the ECU - or forcing the ECU to return to factory defaults - wouldn't hurt, but it'd only be necessary if you think it's overfuelling. You should notice the overfuelling without a DPF - light acceleration will show some mild black smoke and hard acceleration will produce a nice cloud. At night, it'll produce a scary amount in your mirror - don't panic, check it during the day.

I don't think resetting the ECU will do much to the tune based on the missing DPF - the DPF regen cycle is separate to the injector duration and pressure rail variations that the ECU learns.

Latest posts

Back