Ryco Fuel Filter Thoughts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonky

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've had a bit of an intermittent issue with fuel of late when starting after the car has been sitting more than about 12 hours, occasionally after sitting a long time the car would crank for up to 10 seconds before firing, I've suspected air is getting in to the fuel lines somewhere, so I decided to change the fuel filter today.

The current filter is a Ryco Z332, I had heard things in the past about these being a problem but nothing concrete, so rather than grab another one I shelled out for a genuine Nissan filter. Not cheap at $46 but I figure it could be cheap insurance vs. killing the injector pump with air.

Anyway, I don't have pics, but the Ryco has a different type of seal compared to the genuine Nissan filter, the Ryco seal looks for all intents and purposes the same as any old oil filter, flat and about 5mm wide, whereas the Nissan filter has a flat seal about 7-8mm wide, but with a 2-3mm "D" moulding on top of the flat seal.

I imagine this "D" section of the seal is to create a high pressure point on the seal, rather than with the Ryco where the seal is across the entire flat face, I also noted with the Ryco seal that it had rolled over just a little which could mean uneven pressure across the face of the seal, time will tell whether this was the issue with air getting into my fuel system, but I've been over the rest of the fuel lines and can't fault them.

i'll check mine. i got a couple of different ones here after my genuine nissan filter clogged up. not to sure if it was water or not but it looked like the filter element got sucked right out of the filter.
the new one is running fine.

there has been a bit of problems with the primer pump leaking air and also the spill return from the injector seals going casuseing air leaks then leaking fuel into the engine oil.

I'll see how it goes, and keep an eye on the oil, I did pull the dip stick today and the oil didn't seem to be thinned out so I don't think there is fuel getting into the oil, I guess the only way to know that is to drop a sample of oil and get it tested.

I cant comment on the Ryco's as I only run genuine filters.

Never had a issue with genuine parts so I am sticking with em. Only had issues with genuine mechanics.

Dave.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to the genuine filters Dave, was a little pricey compared to the Ryco but if it doesn't leak air (provided that's what the problem was) I'll be using genuine from now on.

fuel filters

i decided a while ago that for piece of mind to go the genuine route esp. with the zd 30 track record though not so many in navs. There is a small rubber seal on top of the fuel filter that my parts dealer told me about that is extra but can fall out when you change filter and will let air suck in i replace this when i do filter change. how often do you change youre fuel fillter? i do my oil every 5k and fuel every 10k im no mechanic and had a steep learning curve on survicing diesles but ive mostly serviced my own vehicles when they are not in warrinty ive also had a few probs with mechanics:52:

i was having issues starting mine, got the primer pump replaced under warranty....nissan said they had been having a problem with these and there had been a fair few cases.

i was told by a mechanic mate of mine to always put a genuine fuel filter in, something about the microns in the filter not being right, and also the seal is slightly different. all the other filters dont matter but.

Just an update, since going back to the genuine filter the starting problem has not occurred again, so fingers crossed that's all it was.

ryco z332

hey i just purchased the ryco, havent fitted yet so i might return it and get the genuine one :p

after a weekend in kakadu national park i filled up at a remote servo & the engine light comes on inconsistantly, bad fuel i reckon.

ill try the genuine filter

Ryco filters and genuine filter both filter to around 15-18 micron. (i rnag ryco help line and asked for their filtration ratings) After using Ryco filters for many years in a range of car i have since switched to Bosh fuel filters as they are rated to filter down to 5 micron.(as per the info on the Bosh web site.
Not only do they filter a lot better they are cheaper than both the genuine and Ryco filters.
After just overhauling the injector pump on the Patrol i now run Bosh fuel filter in both vehicles.
Cheap insurance i rekon.

I used to use Ryco filters on all my other cars and never once had a problem with them. I used a Ryco oil filter on the Nav between 10 and 20k and never had an issue with it and the only reason I went back to genuine ones is because they are costing me the same price as SCA charge me for the Ryco's

I just got a quote on a ryco fuel filter from supercheap. Its for a 2006 nissan navara td manual dual cab stx. They want 105.00 does anyone know why they are so expensive?

Also do people replace fuel filters every 5, 10 or 20?

Dezz

Because Nissan charge $140 for yours and $180 for the later model Fuel filters.

Fuel filters are every 40K from memory.

Latest posts

Back