Exhaust upgrade for D40 TD

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd262

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for a cheap but reasonable exhaust upgrade for my D40 TD in Brisbane - any suggestions?

Want a bit more noise mainly and am considering just cutting the rear muffler out but bit more power would be nice too.

Men at Work at Capalaba reckon $1250 for a 3in stainless mandrel bent system straight off the turbo with high flow cat...anyone been to them?

Wouldnt mind a beaudesert exhausts system but cant really afford it at $1800 plus fitting.

Right Price Exhaust at Slacks Creek reckon they can do a 3in for a decent price but havent got the quote yet.

Suggestions?

Cheers,

Cut the price a bit by only specifying mandrel bend on anything above ~70-80 degrees. No need to have mandrel bend on anything less.

I went to AMMS at sandgate, but wouldnt recommend them. (mods feel free to take that bit out if you think it could cause trouble)

Mine is 3 inch from dump with a single muffler that I can take out and put a bit of straight pipe in its place. it freed up the turbo nicely.

What did yours cost you Matt? was that before or after the snorkel was added?
You havent chipped yours have you?

I cant remember to be honest mate, I'll have a look for the receipt.

The snorkel was on first, I have a chip now but put it on after the exhaust. The 3 inch with muffler is even quiter than my standard exhaust was, but definately flows better, much less lag now.

I went to AMMS at sandgate, but wouldnt recommend them. (mods feel free to take that bit out if you think it could cause trouble)

Mine is 3 inch from dump with a single muffler that I can take out and put a bit of straight pipe in its place. it freed up the turbo nicely.

Out of interest whats the reason you dont recommend them ?

Dave.

Out of interest whats the reason you dont recommend them ?

Dave.

Nothing major mate, I just didnt have the experience i expected there. I was under the impression they were bolting on a 'kit' exhaust. It turns out that they sent my car to jack beedhams exhaust at redcliffe and he made one out of tube and mandrel bent elbows. I was pissed that they didnt tell me someone else was doing the job and that I didnt know where my car was. The exhaust works fine but to me looks like a back yard job because it has weld joints all through it, when i was expecting one done with a bender.

I took the car over to moreton for 5 days and when I came back the whole exhaust was dark orange from surface rust. It really didnt handle it well. I took it back to them and he didnt beleive me that I had only had the exhaust on the beach for one trip and said that theres nothing he can do and that I should have got a stainless one if I was worried about rust. My comment was that i had been on the beach 4 times with my original exhaust without any signs of rust, if the new product was going to be inferior i should have been told. It's a 4wd for gods sake!

Anyway. I just didnt really have a warm and fuzzy feeling from my new exhaust.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing mate, i spoke with them yesterday after reading the article in the latest 4wd action mag about Milo and the dyno tune...they indicated they did it in house but I would question that now.

Also beaudesert exhausts did recommend them as a fitter to fit one of their systems....so that could be ok.

Apparently the factory exhaust is a cheap stainless system...not as good as an aftermarket stainless but that could explain why you didnt get rust from the previous beach trips....mine still looks fine too.

Cheers,

Cheers Matt. I am pretty happy with mine on the D22, had a issue with the exhaust hitting the floor but the fixed it without any question's.

Mine was done at Lillfords at Thornton NSW.

Dave.

Yeah I should have specified I wanted a beau kit and probaly would have been fine. They use an aluminised tube I think.

D40 Exhaust upgrade

Hi guys.

Emailed Beaudesert Exhausts other day as i was thinking of upgrading my exhaust on my 06 Navara D40 but was told because it was a automatic diesel after06/2005 they can't fit one. Althou manuals were fine

The reason they gave was complications with sensors/particle filters and variations in dump valves. And definatley not if it has a particle filter.

I have also read that this particle filter needs certain back pressure to get a certain temp to work and clean itself. Therefore putting a free flowing exhaust on reduces back pressure causing it not to work, clog up.

Does anyone know if this particle filter can be removed without causing any damage to engine or poor performance? :victory:

Yeah you can take it out.
When and if you do just make sure you replace the sensors into the new pipe. This tricks the ECU into thinking it's still there.
You'll find the turbo spoils up quicker and gives slightly more power also your economy will increase by 1/2 to 1 litre per 100km.
The 5 sensor mountings are as follows:
One is a standard O2 analyser that can be purchased at exhaust shop.
Two are 12mm x 1.25mm
Two are 14mm x 1.5mm
The exhaust shop may have these last four or they may need to either make them or buy them in.
Weld them into the new pipe in the same spots as where they are on the DPF and your away laughing.
:big_smile:

Back