What Coolant D22 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use genuine coolant, reduces any doubt and is comparable pricewise with a quality aftermarket coolant.

Cheers.

+1. I also use Nissan coolant. When I had Toyotas, I always used their Longlife coolant and never had an cooling system issues.

If memory serves, my manual states that using anything but Nissan coolant (or other fluids, like oils and brake fluid) effectively voids any warranty claims.

I doubt that Nissan are going to supply second-rate gear. They are depending on those to keep the vehicles in good order so that there isn't a warranty claim made. It only serves them better to supply good quality stuff - so I'll use theirs as well.

If memory serves, my manual states that using anything but Nissan coolant (or other fluids, like oils and brake fluid) effectively voids any warranty claims.

Old tony,
can you inform us here where it states this in the manual..

And how did u go getting your speedo recalibrated by your dealer for your new ride.
Cheers
]

can you inform us here where it states this in the manual..

The manual is riddled with these little catch-ya's. Associated material states things like:

So to look after that important investment, it's essential that you use Nissan Genuine Parts and Lubricants.

Page 8-14 is one they've forgotten to amend for ACCC non-restraint-of-trade compliance:

Always use window washer fluid recommended by NISSAN.

Page 8-6 of the 2009 D40 manual has one the ACCC can't complain about:

This is an advanced operation. NISSAN recommends that engine coolant refill should be left to a NISSAN dealer or qualified workshop.

However, what constitutes "qualified" in Nissan's eyes may be different to how you see it. The choice of fluids to use is also limited. Page 8-12, on Automatic Transmission Fluid:

CAUTION

* Use only Genuine NISSAN ATF Metric Fluid J or equivalent. Do not mix with other fluids.

* Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic FLuid J or equivalent will cause deterioration....

So they're telling us not to mix fluids. I have no idea what's "equivalent" and I'm fairly certain that they use that specific word to avoid mobs like the ACCC from coming down on them for restrictive trade.

Just wait until you've pumped some Dot 5 into your master cylinder and then go for a claim on the brake hoses. Nissan - like any other manufacturer - are restricting trade, but are also ensuring the well-being of the vehicle. My Holden manual was the same, and its extended warranty was only valid while Holden serviced the car - they used good oil, followed a very precise method of servicing the vehicle and didn't charge the earth for it. As a result, my car was in excellent shape. I have every expectation that Nissan will do the same for me.

Oh, here is the big gun, in the separate "Vehicle Protection Plan" pamphlet.

THE WARRANTY

Our Dealership warrants that provided the service requirements and conditions specified in this Agreement are met, it will pay the reasonable cost of repairing the Failure of Covered Parts.

Shortly after this, they define those service requirements:

An important requirement is that you have all your services performed at our dealership in accordance with the manufacturer's service schedule during manufacturer's warranty period...

So, in legal terms, service it elsewhere or use some other fluids = technical breach of the agreement and voiding of the warranty. That doesn't mean that they will avoid a warranty claim - just that they have the opportunity to.

And how did u go getting your speedo recalibrated by your dealer for your new ride.

No chance. "It's within 10% so nothing will be done about it" was the expected, and received response. I was advised against the Jaycar Speedo Correction Kit - probably because it interferes with the primary circuits of their computer system.

For now, I'm relying on my Pioneer F900BT to show me the current speed and speed limits, as well as voice warnings when I go over that speed limit. I'll post a pic when I am away from home - this is the internet, and the thing displays my exact address, and shows a map with a little pointer to exactly where I am. Even while it's garaged.

Make sure it meets Type A standard. Also important contains antifreeze/antiboil (ethylene glycol) as it prevents hot spot boiling and the corrosion inhibitors work better with it too

The manual is riddled with these little catch-ya's. Associated material states things like:

Page 8-14 is one they've forgotten to amend for ACCC non-restraint-of-trade compliance:

Page 8-6 of the 2009 D40 manual has one the ACCC can't complain about:

However, what constitutes "qualified" in Nissan's eyes may be different to how you see it. The choice of fluids to use is also limited. Page 8-12, on Automatic Transmission Fluid:

So they're telling us not to mix fluids. I have no idea what's "equivalent" and I'm fairly certain that they use that specific word to avoid mobs like the ACCC from coming down on them for restrictive trade.

Just wait until you've pumped some Dot 5 into your master cylinder and then go for a claim on the brake hoses. Nissan - like any other manufacturer - are restricting trade, but are also ensuring the well-being of the vehicle. My Holden manual was the same, and its extended warranty was only valid while Holden serviced the car - they used good oil, followed a very precise method of servicing the vehicle and didn't charge the earth for it. As a result, my car was in excellent shape. I have every expectation that Nissan will do the same for me.

Oh, here is the big gun, in the separate "Vehicle Protection Plan" pamphlet.

Shortly after this, they define those service requirements:

So, in legal terms, service it elsewhere or use some other fluids = technical breach of the agreement and voiding of the warranty. That doesn't mean that they will avoid a warranty claim - just that they have the opportunity to.

No chance. "It's within 10% so nothing will be done about it" was the expected, and received response. I was advised against the Jaycar Speedo Correction Kit - probably because it interferes with the primary circuits of their computer system.

For now, I'm relying on my Pioneer F900BT to show me the current speed and speed limits, as well as voice warnings when I go over that speed limit. I'll post a pic when I am away from home - this is the internet, and the thing displays my exact address, and shows a map with a little pointer to exactly where I am. Even while it's garaged.

Mate..could of told you or you could have got the answer here in previous posts,
the answer you'd get from your dealer re your speedo.

As for warranty.. nowhere does it say that warrany is null and void if you dont service at nissan...

WHY!

Because its illegal! By Aust law.

You can, and as required by manufacture's, use, EQUIVALENT service filters, oils, fluids.

When servicing, can be performed anywhere, but to manufacturers accordance

Quote:* Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic FLuid J or equivalent will cause deterioration...

as stated here by nissan genuine or EQUIVALENT.

This applies to all makes, not just nissan
remember all these oils etc are not made by nissan, just have their brand name on their packaging.
By all means use genuine oils/ fluids etc but its not mandatory,

BUT,

Be certain if using equivalents you use the CORRECT one if you are still in "warranty".
and be sure your mechanic is using the right fluids cause its well known for them to use what ever they normally use "one size fits all"

Extened warranties are a separate contract between you and the seller, and provided by a separate insur Co.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use genuine parts when you can.

Gary aka Nizzbits does Nissan parts at a very good price.

Only person I deal with for parts for my ute.

Dave.

As for warranty.. nowhere does it say that warrany is null and void if you dont service at nissan...

WHY!

Because its illegal! By Aust law.

Yep, that's clearly understood. They will never say that openly, I've no doubt they've been bitten over this in the past. But don't forget the Vehicle Protection document that I had to sign, which does exclude having the vehicle serviced elsewhere.

They're crafty. And they have the dollars to buy the lawyers to find the holes to make sure that if you do make a claim, they have the option of bailing on it. It doesn't mean that they will refuse the warranty, just that they have the option to do so.

They're also clever enough to make it look like you can use "equivalents", even though they write into the actual plan that you sign that only they can service the vehicle.

Really, I don't have a problem with that: they are not about to use junk in my engine, because if they do, I'll be knocking on their door to make a claim and they will have no escape clause.

Yep, that's clearly understood. They will never say that openly, I've no doubt they've been bitten over this in the past. But don't forget the Vehicle Protection document that I had to sign, which does exclude having the vehicle serviced elsewhere.

They're crafty. And they have the dollars to buy the lawyers to find the holes to make sure that if you do make a claim, they have the option of bailing on it. It doesn't mean that they will refuse the warranty, just that they have the option to do so.

They're also clever enough to make it look like you can use "equivalents", even though they write into the actual plan that you sign that only they can service the vehicle.

Really, I don't have a problem with that: they are not about to use junk in my engine, because if they do, I'll be knocking on their door to make a claim and they will have no escape clause.

Not seen document like that...must be new.
My dealer is 2hr drive from me and i said to them i wont buy car from you if i have to service there (due to distance), he said no problem i can get it done at my choice and provided its at recommended service book intervals this is ok. Have also had this arangement with a ford vehicle thaty my wife owns.
If they cant have a dealer in every town its not my problem. Be stuffed if I'm gunna drive 4 hours to get it serviced.
Sounds like you got stiched up mate with that document.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to say dont get your service done at the dealer,
its just everyone has the legal right to have it done where they please,
unless you agree otherwise.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if they have updated it. In the 11 years since this thread was last visited, there's a very good chance they have. There's been a fair bit of anger vented over the way dealers treat their customers in Australia.

Latest posts

Back