Step by step guide to servicing your own diffs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
Step by step guide to servicing your own diffs (for the n00bs)

Something that some people completely forget to get done. Should be done alongside your trans service and cooling system flushes. Just did both of mine, and it still amazes me how many people PAY someone to do this for them. It's so damn easy.

What you will need:

3 litres of diff oil (LSD or normal depending on what diffs you have. This IS very important, so make sure which one you need). I just bought Nulon 80w90 LSD oil. Comes in 1L bottles from Supergay auto, or Autobarn for around $14 a bottle.

Ratchet wrench

Oil catch pan

A small funnel and about 20 or 30cm of clean fresh garden hose (or a siphon pump, i prefer a small funnel and hose, just easier IMO)

Step 1 (rear diff): Crack the drain plug (located on the UNDERSIDE of the diff housing), but do not fully undo just yet. You may as well crack the filler plug while you are there (located on the UPPER REAR of the diff housing, facing towards the REAR of the vehicle).

Step 2: Place your oil catch pan under the DRAIN plug and undo the plug completely. Let the oil drain out completely. I would recommend cracking a beer and having a smoke (if you are a filthy smoker like myself) while you are waiting.

Step 3: Once oil has completely drained and only slow dripping from the plug hole, thoroughly clean up your drain plug with a clean rag and screw the drain plug back in, ratchet it up nice and tight. Clean the area with a rag so it is free of oil.

Step 4: Shift your oil catch pan so it is sitting UNDER the FILLER plug hole and unscrew the filler plug and put to one side.

Step 5: Jam that 20-30cm piece of CLEAN garden hose (i recommend garden hose, only as it fits PERFECTLY in the filler plug hole) onto the end of your funnel, and slide the hose into the filler plug hole. So it sits pretty much flush with the inside rim of the hole to avoid diff oil spilling out when you are filling it. Now hold the funnel up as high as you can so the hose is on a steep downward angle and fill her up! The REAR diff will take 2L of diff oil exactly (provided you drain it properley!!)

Step 6: Shine a torch in the hole and make sure the oil level is sitting level with the bottom surface of the filler hole. If so, clean the plug up with a rag and screw it back in nice and tight and clean the diff housing up with a rag.

Same process for the front diff, EXCEPT, the front diff takes 850ML of oil instead of 2L so be careful when filling.

All up if you have the tools, it will cost less than $45 depending on what diff oil you get and where. Most are ok, just make sure it's an 80w90 oil to suit either an LSD or single spinner depending on what you have. And make sure you bottle the old diff oil and take it to your local council to be disposed of properley. Small cost as opposed to destroying the enviroment slowly :)

Enjoy :redcool:

Last edited:
Geez I've never measured the diff oil in mine, I just put the drum in the pit, the nozzle in the filler and flick the switch then flick the switch again when it's full. Does it really take 2l? Maybe I should pay for it one day, nearly 3l whenever I do it is costing someone money.

Yeah i dumped 1.5L in then just did small fill ups and kept checking the level. Well the Nissan service guide says until it's flush / level with the bottom on the filler hole, and that the rear diff takes 2L.

But if you are filling it until it's full, it's basically the same thing, as it will spew out diff oil from the filler hole once it's full.

I usually watch mine while the filler is doing it's job so I don't over fill it, or more to the point I'm not pumping it on to the ground, but usually it's just pumped out of a 20l drum so I never measure it

It falls off the back of a truck, I just wish DPF suitable oil and diesel fell off the same truck, but beggars can't be choosers, I don't pay for diff oil, transmission oil or brake fluid because they happen to match exactly what falls off the truck.

Good write up Cobez, thanks.

It is a good idea to remove the filler plug prior to draining the oil as it makes the oil drain just a little quicker.

When filling with new oil, you'll know the diff is full when the new oil starts oozing out the filler hole. Just bang the filler plug back in when this happens.

I use one of these to put my diff oil in with:

image_12992.jpg

Yep, a siphon pump is a good tool for this. I prefer a baby funnel and small piece of hose personally. But alot of blokes swear by those pumps, They are handy for transmission services and harder to reach places, but as my Nav has lift, i can sit up traight under the rear without my head touching the car. Either way is good though.

From memory, those pumps are about $20 from Supergay auto, or about $10 for one of the more basic ones. A good investment anyway!

The only thing a lot of people also recommend is removing the fill plug before you remove the drain plug just to make sure it will come out. Not so much a problem on newer cars, but on older cars the last thing you want to do is drop the oil and then find out you can't get the fill plug out to put the new oil in... and then need to take it somewhere to get it out

Apart from that nice guide, I'm sure it will help some people out

Very true. I realised that just after i had cracked the drain plug, then i cracked the filler plug before i loosened the drain plug and let the oil out. Good reminder tip actually mate!

Latest posts

Back