Orange check engine light on stx 550

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berndty

Reaction score
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone had the same problem. The other day the missus was driving home from work and the Orange check engine light come on solid. Took it to the nissan mechanic and they have told me they have to replace parts in the egr??? sensors pipe gaskets eg. Can any one shed any light on the subject?? p.s the car only has 4300 km on it .

Some later D40's have a sensor in the EGR to stop you from blocking it (puts car in limp mode) -- maybe yours malfunctioned?

Nissan are saying they are going to replace all the EGR sensors, so we can only guess that one has died but they dont know which one!!

cheer
bryan

P.s im Berndty's brother inlaw

I was gonna say if you have a blanking plate in there, take it out before Nissan get in there but obviously you don't if they have checked it.

You can still put blanking plates in them but i think you need to drill a small hole in the middle of the plate to keep the sensor happy.

i believe the job to replace the faulty egr will take a whole day to complete at least they have worked out that instead of lifting the motor out

Theres no such thing as a EGR sensor. Late model YD25 YDK4 engines have EGT sensors. V9X have problems with EGR valves, There is a later level ECM software to address this and the valve should not be replaced in the first instance. Although they do often fail as well. It takes a decent tech about 1.5 hours to replace the valve. NO ENGINE OUT. The ECM update should always be carried out as part of the repair.

My Check engine light came on yesterday. code was P0488 and later a P0401(?) I think to do with EGR. Dealer is to check it out when I am in for 30K service next week. says ok to drive but keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Any advice from those who have been here would be much appreciated as we are about to head off on a 10,000km caravan trip.

frank

It's definitely EGR. Some of the V9X engines had faulty EGR valves, I thought there was going to be a recall on them but it looks like they're happy to fix them as they break.

It can prevent you from starting the engine by failing in the open position and pumping in exhaust gas while you're trying to start the engine, but the P0401 code means there's a flow sensor in yours too, and I'd guess that your valve has failed in the closed position (hence the error). You should be right to drive it - I don't think the car enforces limp mode for a flow failure, but it might do so for the first fault (which is probably still there).

This means that if you end up trying to block the EGR valve, you'll need to put a small hole in the middle of the blanking plate so you don't get that code again.

Tony, many thanks for the info. I really appreciate your advice

The thing has since come up with another code for an oxygen sensor slow response P0133. Not sure if that will be a serious problem or not.

frank

It's possibly related. In the exhaust, there's a "Heated Oxygen Sensor" usually abbreviated as HO2S. This sensor is there to ensure that there's enough oxygen available for the CAT to burn off the reductant that's used to remove the nitrogen oxides from the exhaust stream (it's really a lot of mucking about to achieve a small result).

In order to make sure the HO2S is operational, the fuel rail pressure is modified by a small amount at a certain frequency. You won't notice it while driving, but it'll rise 3rpm here and fall 5rpm there from the increase in fuel input. This will correspond to a matching decrease/increase in available oxygen in the exhaust and the ECU looks for that pattern. It's possible that the changed EGR response has affected the ECU's monitoring of this sensor.

It's also possible that it's neither - it could be a poor electrical connection making gremlins pop up. The first set of errors pointed right at the EGR valve, but this new one could be pointing at something like a poor earth on the ECU, or as has happened on a couple of occasions in the past, a poor condition starter battery.

All fixed (Ihope) EGR was replaced with a new one and 1000k later no probs. My thanks to Gaukroger Nissan Inverell workshop for looking after me.

All fixed (Ihope) EGR was replaced with a new one and 1000k later no probs. My thanks to Gaukroger Nissan Inverell workshop for looking after me.

EGR isn't replaced, it's removed and cleaned.
Early on when first Gen v9x came out they were replacing the EGR but only temp fix as they were coming back.
NISSAN then investigated and initiated a fix.Firmware is updated to later version.
This makes the EGR flapper open/close rapidly 5 times to shake off any excess EGR.
Also dependent on driving style.Still alot of early v9x's that haven't had an issue.
Next time you shut off engine have a listen to EGR flapper.
Putting a blocking plate in will not work.
Needs to be turned off in ecu settings.
ECU has EGR MAPS which form part of the FUEL MAPS.
The o2 sensor in the dump pipe is what the ECU uses for controlling the amount of EGR being let into the intake.
This is dependent on load conditions and is set by the FUEL/TORQUE MAPS in the ECU.

Last edited:
Mine just had the light, updated the software, didn't work it went again, had to replace the egr under warranty at the 50k service

Latest posts

Back