soft brakes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revkev91

Reaction score
i have a 2007 d40 2.5 td manual. I just got it fitted with new rear shoes and the drums were machined and on the front i got brand new DBA t2 rotors with bendix pads but my brake pedal still feels soft. Does this mean my booster or master cyclinder needs to be looked at, has this happened to anyone else is there away i can test the booster or master cyclinder. any help would be great

new shoes wear in really quiuckly and most likely the drum brakes just require a re adjustment
I'm a mechanic and on my new navara I have had to adjust the drum brakes 3 times in 5000km, hope that helps

Is it spongy like it was before you fitted all the bits or worse?
D40's have s pretty spongy pedal from the factory but work well.

The brakes were put on yesterday and adjusted up and the car has only been driven around the block to bed the pads in. When I brought the ute in feb last year the brakes were abit spongy but they worked good. In about December past year they were bad and you could feel they were wore so we pulled them off had about 1mm on front pad and the rotors were under sized so the front got new pads and rotors the back shoes had about 2mm left on the so the shoes were replaced and the drums machined but if anything they feel worse then the old worn brakes. When I push the pedal I'm almost to the floor before anything happens. If checked my brake fuild and hoses and they seem fine that's what's making me think the booster or master cyclinder

i just took the ute out in the dry and hit the brakes as hard as i could and it did nothing no lock up abs didnt come in.

did the brake fluid get flushed? there may be some air in the system, air can be compressed whereas hydraulic fluid pressurises, air will also cause a soft pedal, take it back to where it was done and get them to have a look

also if the brake lines were not clamped off when the pistons were retracted and the old fluid allowed to be pushed out the nipple, a bit of crud can be forced back into the master cylinder through the compensation valve which can screw the master

I'd look at flushing the brake fluid and think about fitting braided brake lines. Have fitted them before and they do make a difference. I've just ordered some for my Nav from Safebrake. They're Aussie and have a good rep.

Back