Bash plates again...STX 550

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacm

Reaction score
At the risk being shot for yet another bash plate thread....

I have been hunting for a set of plates for my stx 550, so far my research has found that ARB dont have a set, Ironman have a set of 3 plates, but the transmission plate wont fit, and I am now looking at TJM.

Just to set the scene, I dont do hard4wding any more, but on some of the bumpier fire tracks I feel a little vunerable in the radiator and sump areas.

The questions....

Can you change the oil/oil filter without taking the plates off? (Ironman Or TJM)

If i go with Ironman, do I need the transmission plate or as the sump and radiator are the lowest points do I just do the front two plates? Is there any issues if I dont cover the transmission.

Any thing else to know for the 550?

I have TJM bash plates. They are ST-X D40, I've now sold the D40 after removing everything I wanted to move over to my ST-X 550. My 550 goes into Opposite Lock this Friday for 2" inch Tough Dog suspension lift, long range tank, XROX steel winch bar. Then straight across to the tyre shop for a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's (265/70/R17).

As soon as I get it back home, I will be trying to fit the original TJM bash plates. Fingers crossed they'll fit. Other wise I also have to find something new. Will be keen to see how you get on.

I'll report back after the weekend on D40 TJM plates fitting to 550! will they wont they, TBA. I have a feeling the 550 is wider, so good chance they wont fit. Will confirm, I'll also have a look at oil filter situation.

Finally got an answer from the local TJM distributer, their plates dont fit the 550 either (no reason given), So I have bitten the bullet and have ordered the Ironman variety, apparently to front two should fit, and the transmission one may fit. Other than finding a custom maker it seems to be the only solution...

BTW - a bit of digging around found that BD and others are the same scenario.

I fitted my ST Thailand ironman plates to my 550 with not much trouble. I did have to drill two holes between the 2nd and 3rd plate as the holes didn't line up and had to trim the edges off the 3rd plate because of the bracing on the 550, but it was no problem. I haven't done anything about the 2nd plate because nissan always does my services and I don't really want any holes in the plates. It was a fairly easy job, I just used 4 car ramps to give it some height and a creepy crawly, prob took about 3 hours all up.
Cheers.

Finally got an answer from the local TJM distributer, their plates dont fit the 550 either (no reason given), So I have bitten the bullet and have ordered the Ironman variety, apparently to front two should fit, and the transmission one may fit. Other than finding a custom maker it seems to be the only solution...

BTW - a bit of digging around found that BD and others are the same scenario.

I had my bash plates made from my local tjm $780

I have TJM bash plates. They are ST-X D40, I've now sold the D40 after removing everything I wanted to move over to my ST-X 550. My 550 goes into Opposite Lock this Friday for 2" inch Tough Dog suspension lift, long range tank, XROX steel winch bar. Then straight across to the tyre shop for a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's (265/70/R17).

As soon as I get it back home, I will be trying to fit the original TJM bash plates. Fingers crossed they'll fit. Other wise I also have to find something new. Will be keen to see how you get on.

I'll report back after the weekend on D40 TJM plates fitting to 550! will they wont they, TBA. I have a feeling the 550 is wider, so good chance they wont fit. Will confirm, I'll also have a look at oil filter situation.
A2 The MFKA,

How did you go with the old d40 plates on the 550. I kept my old plates too and was hoping to put them on my 550. I've just ordered the ARB bully was hoping to get them to fit the plates while they were doing the bully...

I have ARB plates fitted to mine - however with the ARB bullbar being different in that area where the bash plates attach, a short adapter plate has been fitted to fill the gap for the time being.

Jase V9x,

My plates are actually TJM, they were on my '06 D40 with an ARB bully and then the bully, plates, OME, HID modded Hella 4000s, winch & tyres were all transferred to my early '09 D40. But on those D40s, ARB supplied a plate from the chin of the bully to a light weight beam near the radiator and then the the first TJM plate extended from that light beam to the front cross member and then the second large plate extended from the front cross member to the back of the TX case...

So with any luck - ARB will still supply the front first plate on the TJM plates will still fit although I'll probably need to cut a different hole for the V9X sump plug ....

BTW - I recognised your 550 as pictured in the product release flyer ARB have done for the 550 specific bully.... Looks great.

Are you happy with the OME 2" lift? Do yo get any vibration? The 550 has two sets of harmonic dampers on the front and real of the leaf springs and the OME doesn't .... I've taken the front dampers off to see if is any difference and can't hear/feel hear any - so I don't know why Nissan bothered with those - would have been nice if they'd spent the $$ on a better quality pipe between the turbo and the intercooler!

I'll be getting the 2" OME done too. Just got to choose tyres, (I had oversized Bridgie D694s on the last one ..).

I have OME suspension and very happy with it, had TJM on my last which as good but not as solid as OME

G'day Balanced69,
Pretty happy with the ride I get from the OME suspension, although it has developed a very annoying squeak from the front drivers side. This only came about after the front struts/coils were changed when the bullbar went on. Must remember to get that checked out when it goes in next week for the siderails and steps.
cheers
Jase.

G'day Balanced69,
Pretty happy with the ride I get from the OME suspension, although it has developed a very annoying squeak from the front drivers side. This only came about after the front struts/coils were changed when the bullbar went on. Must remember to get that checked out when it goes in next week for the siderails and steps.
cheers
Jase.

I have the same squeak in mine after a lift (EFS) front right, just give the centre nut at the top a squirt of WD40 or something and it goes away. I have been meaning to get it looked at but after a spray it goes away for a month or so, been doing it for a couple years now... Can't really justify the $ in paying someone to look at it, unless you do it yourself...

Bully and OME are booked - but I have a 6 week wait ... :-(

BTW - I have found the vibration that Nissan was using those dampers to to get rid of - but I won't, because you might then notice too and hate me for it ....

I think it will be pretty easy retrofit the dampers if the vibration is still there with the OME, but it might not be there because they're a heavier spring ....

G'day Jayse V9X,

I got the ARB Bullbar & OME on Friday - they goofed and put the wrong springs on - but they're being good about it they are sorting it out out.

You have the same bull bar and a winch - so I was curious - which springs did you use and what lift did you get?

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back