timming belt

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has a chain, not sure when it needs changing. Joshy has stretched a couple I think.

Chain driven cam's.

Change the oil and the chain will last the engines life.

Dave.

The manual says they're chains. Both of them.

The secondary timing chain looks like it can be easily changed with the engine in place and done in a couple of hours.

The primary timing chain looks like a complete bugger of a job. The crankshaft pulley has to come off, the oil pump housing and all of the secondary timing chain gear too. Yuck.

I'd be careful to follow Dave's advice. Stretching the primary should probably be accompanied by a total rebuild (pistons, rings, bores, main bearings and all, may as well do 'em all if you're going this far).

Then again, 20 years ago, I would have jumped in boots and all to do both and more.

Yeah your right its a chain, and on my last service my mechanic wanted to check out the chain, my car has done close to 190,000km, when he opened up the rocker cover first he said it looks like a brand new engine, was wrapt with that and the chain was still in great condition, but even though it looks good looks can be deceiving and he recommends that i do roughly about another 30 to 40,000km and he will change the chain then.

Joshy stretched the transfer box chain ;) not the timing chain.

you do not need to touch or even look at the chain until it becomes noisy. it should last the life of the motor. the problem your more likely to get is chain tensioner failing, especially with poor oil changes it can get clogged, it will then be fairly noisy.

Nissan recommended changing the chain at 180,000km thats why my mechanic looked at it, and one of my mates who knows another mate had a 3l patrol and nissan told him they change the chain at that amount of kays but with the cost of that, that guy ended up selling the patrol instead.

Latest posts

Back