Stereo and speaker upgrade for D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara_cruz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my stereo and speakers in my D40 dual cab and was wondering if anyone has done this and what problems or issues you had when doing it. I am wanting to run my Ipod from it as well as Cd's etc.

Any info on what size speakers front and back would be great. Thanks heaps
Navara_cruz:57:

mate iv changed mine to...

pioneer head unit, single DIN. i just put empty DIN slot in place of the hole which now home to my electric brakes, but will be the home of my UHF when i get one.

6 inch splits pioneer. in the back door.

the front speakers are quite good amplified so i kept them.

6x9's under the rear seat facing the front also pioneer.

i kept the stock speakers on the dash because i didnt want to try get to them.

2 x 12inch subs pioneer in place of the single seat, i just have the seat folded up.

2 amps.. a mono block for the subs and a 4 channel for all the speakers.

i can take some photos if you want but i didnt take any photos of the install. i have a spare set of pioneer 5inch 2 ways that im considering mounting somewhere also..my whole system in the back with the subs and 6x9s are on long cables so i can move them whereever i want, one day i will get around to making a custom box..

the hardest part would be sorting out how to get the stock 6 stacker out, pop off the piece above it and go from there its not a hard job by any means until you need to jam cables through the firewall. i hate that part.

Hey thanks for the info. Photos would be great when you get some time. I was also thinking Pioneer. The head unit I was looking at was the DEH-P7050BT for its Bluetooth and Ipod connections. Speakers I haven't settled on yet but I think Pioneer would be the way to go as they have served me well in the past.
Look forward to seeing the photos.
Thanks

Dont count out Kenwood, Alpine and the rest of the decent brands out there.

I think Pioneer live of there reputation more then anything, just like Toyota.

Dave.

Ive just resently upgraded the speakers in my UK spec D40.
Ive kept the original head unit as its got the sat nav and bluetooth built in.

Ive changed the front speakers to Vibe 3 way 6x9s
Ive changed the rears to kenwood 2 way 6 inchs
Built my own sub box to fit under the rear seat, it has a 10 inch kicker square sub in it and thats powered by a mono block digital amp which is mounted under the front passanger seat.
Also ive mounted a bass controller in the centre console near the gear stick.
heres some pics

navsub8.jpg

navsub9.jpg

navamp1.jpg

navdash.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies and pictures. I like the sub box, well done. I have been doing some research on the Pioneer head unit I stated above and have found that maybe its not the best to go for. I have found the following reviews
Pioneer DEH-P7050BT review. at Steve’s Blog

Not everything is perfect but this does raise a few concerns. I have looked at the Kenwood unit they have spoken about and have decided to do a bit more research on this unit. I have found that prices vary from $296AUD to well over $500 for the same unit so not really sure what is going on there but will follow up.

How did you fit the 6x9 in the front doors? Did they fit well and was there any need for cutting and other variations?

I have a brand new set of Sony 6x9's that were meant for another car so they might be a good set to go in.

Thanks again

The 6x9s are what are in the front doors from the factory, well in the UK spec models anyway, mine just fitted right in, no modifications at all, just pop your door card off and take a look.

Hey this might be a stupid question but how do the door trims come off. There doesn't seem to be any scews to undo. Do they just pop off with a little help or what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I imagine there just clips. If unsure hit up a local panel beater or stereo installer for advice.

Dave.

Thanks for the info. I have actually searched high and low for this on the net and its a little more complicated than that. I have found a great site that I will post up later tonight. It seems to have a lot of info related to all thing Navara.

I am heading out to undertake a speaker install. Will keep you posted
regards

P1010083.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010081.jpg

P1010080.jpg

there you go mate, thats the 2 ways i set up my speakers, dodgy i know.. but its easy to move and remove when needed, one day i might get a different sub set up but for now im saving up for a air locker. and air con for my house!

i was thinking of getting one of those shallow subs but they cost more, would be able to fit 2 12's under the rear bench seat. in one big box that runs the width of the car.

Rite the way the door cards come off is as follows

1. round the inner door handle (door opener) theres a piece of trim that curves round the handle, this needs to come off, it will just pop off with a little help with a screwdriver.

2. Still with the door handle, behind the lever u pull to open the door, where your fingers go when u grab the handle theres a moulded piece of plastic, again this pops out with the help of a screwdriver, behind this piece of plastic is the first screw to remove, remove it.

3. Now to the handle area you would grap to close the door, this whole handle pops off, but its needs a GOOD pull up, or get a screwdriver and carefully lever between handle and door card and pull at the same time, there are 2 screws behind this that need to be removed.

4. Pop out the electric window switch unit and unplug.

5. the door card will now just pop off with the help of the screw driver.

and do this all in reverse to put it back.

I hope this makes sence, its kinda hard to explain without pics lol

Navara cruz, how did you go with replacing the stereo? What head unit did you end up fitting?
I used to have an alpine deck in my old car with direct ipod connection and loved it, but with the new truck i ended up buying the Alpine EX-10 unit instead.
I run it off the 12v in the center console and through the existing AUX input with the factory head unit. I just hid the brain box under the center console just behind the gear stick and the cable come out just in front of the gear stick, where i mounted the screen in the small tray there.
Best part is that it has bluetooth for the phone as well and you can access your phone book via the remote and screen, and its easy to remove to put in another vehicle if need be. Plus it was half the price of the Alpine deck i was looking at getting, without the install costs...

Cheers,

Aux . . . .

Just picked up my D40 STX and found a AUX cable and socket in the glove box.

Apparently plugs into the back of the OEM stereo.

Where on earth do you start with the trim to remve the OEM stereo?

Any help would be great .....

Looking at going a Pioneer DVD double DIN combo when funds allow.

AVHP4150DVD PIONEER AV UNIT

Cheers

Peter

I used to be a professional alarm and stereo installer and IMHO, when it comes to car stereo, the most important components are your deck your front splits and your amps. Do not go cheap with the deck and the front splits. Go Alpine for the deck. Their new CDA-9887 single din unit with the Audyssey Imprint technology lets you tune your music like a professional. This system is awesome. It does the tuning for you and allows you to 'stage' and 'image' your sound. The Alpine CDA-9886i is also an excellent buy.

For the front speakers. Use and only use splits. Do not use 2 way, do not use 3 ways. 3 ways are like band aids and are to be avoided at all costs. Go for quality splits, the best that you can afford. The splits are your primary speakers. When installed properly along with your subs, you're music will seem like it's coming from the front of you (just like in a concert) and even though the sub is at the back, the bass will seem like it's coming from the front. Try to mount your splits at or close to ear level as much as possible. Try not to separate the tweeter and the woofer more than 10cm apart from each other. Keep them close.

For the rear speakers, just use normal 2 way speakers. You can get any cheapo pair. The rears are just for fill purposes only.

Invest in a sub woofer and a decent mono amp to drive that woofer. Amps are dirt cheap these days. Don't pay too much attention to brand names. Look for the power rating, more specifically, look for rms power at 14.4volts - NOT peak power. Compare rms power of different amps at 14.4volts and buy the one with the most power for the same money. The more power, the better it is for your sub and for the sound.

The same goes for your front split. Get a decent digital 2 channel amp.

Finally, don't go el cheapo on your wiring. No point getting all the good stuff and then use straw size wires to connect them. Wires in a sound system are like arteries and veins in your body. They are the system's life line. Get thick gauge wires. Again, the bigger the better (to a certain degree of course).

Last edited:
i know this is a fair gravedig of a post here but it came up on my google search.
this may of been asked before but ill ask it anyway haha
im wanting a sub or two in my 2010 d40 but unlike the pre 08 models ( i think, not really sure im new to being a nav owner ) i cant just fold up my rear seats so im really not sure where i can put the subs.
any ideas please?
thanks!

Back