Pollen filter and canopy/tub sealing - D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

base_28

Reaction score
hey guys just joined the forum and wanted to post something so thought id put the ? out there to see if anyone else has had sand blow through yr vents in the d40. I do a fair bit of beach fishing around perth and have noticed on a windy day sand somehow must build up in the cabin air intake and blow through my vents when i put the fan on. nissan told me its because there is NO pollen filter installed in the vehicle from new but its installed at the 20k service. i have 16k on it so far so another 4000k's of driving with sand blowing inside the cab is a bit of a joke. obviously i can go to nissan and have one installed but find it hard to believe a brand new car doesnt have one from factory. soz for the long rant but thats all i have found wrong with a otherwise great ute. oh yeh hi to all the perth navara drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's 3,000km old and I'm pretty sure it's got one in there. Two, I believe. Let me go get my jackhammer I'll prise the dash open and check it out.

Ok I can't fit the jackhammer in the cabin... ok, ok, truth is I don't want to stuff a screwdriver in there and rip out my glovebox just yet ... but that's what you have to do. Here's the info from the D40 manual:

airfilterscreen1.jpg

Then you have 2 steps to replace the thing:

airfilterscreen2.jpg

airfilterscreen3.jpg

You could always take a screwdriver to yours and open the box to see if there's a filter in it. Let us know?

(if the pictures don't work I'll try again another way)

Last edited:
hey guys just joined the forum and wanted to post something so thought id put the ? out there to see if anyone else has had sand blow through yr vents in the d40. I do a fair bit of beach fishing around perth and have noticed on a windy day sand somehow must build up in the cabin air intake and blow through my vents when i put the fan on. nissan told me its because there is NO pollen filter installed in the vehicle from new but its installed at the 20k service. i have 16k on it so far so another 4000k's of driving with sand blowing inside the cab is a bit of a joke. obviously i can go to nissan and have one installed but find it hard to believe a brand new car doesnt have one from factory. soz for the long rant but thats all i have found wrong with a otherwise great ute. oh yeh hi to all the perth navara drivers.
Yep tight ass Nissan Australia didn't fit cabin filters as standard. But your lucky as King Cab and single cab have a different A/C, heater box, and have no provision for cabin filters, so I eat dirt every time I hit a dusty track.

Grr! And grab my pike and my shield and burn the women and rape the villages!

*stomps*

I am going to write to the salesman who was quite emphatic about those filters being in the car. I just opened my dash and the filter box was empty.

Tools needed:

- torch
- phillips screwdriver
- 8mm spanner/socket

Grr and bring the rest of the Vikings along too!

hey guys thanks for the replies and sorry to hear yr kingcab doesnt have space for a filter. maybe nissan should give u a box of dust masks, hehe

Update: I wrote to the sales guy and he wrote straight back advising me that they'd fix it no problems at all. Just waiting now on the call organising the time to get it fitted, he estimated about 10 mins (and that'd give them time for a cuppa too).

I must say here I am very impressed with the dealer I bought my car from. None of the woes I've heard from other people at all.

i followed yr lead and rang the dealer i gt the d40 through and just waiting on a return call to see if i can manage to get 1 fitted for free, bit of a stretch i know but its worth a shot. if not i think from memory at my 10000k service i bought up the problem and they said there was no filter in the vehicle but they could install 1 for around $80.

hey Old.tony bit off topic but hows the nissan canopy for water tight, gt a mate with new triton dual cab n there is a load of silicon round the rear edges to seal it.
cheers

We just tried that out this weekend - it was sprinkling a little up at Broke where we took the caravan for the Navara's first tow, but when we got to Hexham it was absolutely bucketing down.

Everything in the back was dry as a bone. Sorta glad I went with their unit, all around the windows are nice big soft rubber seals. Really looks shmick.

Has anyone got a picture of this pollen filter, I haven't gotten around to ripping the glove box out, although from what everyone says if I do rip it out I'm just going to find a hole anyway

If you look at the second picture in "Replacement Procedure", the pollen filter pretty much sits behind the left-hand screw in that diagram. The cover shown in the last picture is black and is about 10cm wide, 2cm high (roughly - I was at a very crooked angle looking at it).

My filter will be installed on Tuesday. I'll take what pics I can although I imagine I won't get close to it while that, and a minor change under the bonnet (to my aux power) is being done.

I'm more interested in what they are made of, I found some in the uk made out of white semi hard padding stuff which I have a shit load of floating around but if they are the paper type what I have may not work

Yeah I just found a pic of them on the US site and they are exactly like pool filters, now it's just a matter of finding something suitable, should be hard I'm sure

Vacuum cleaners have pollen/dust/HEPA filters, maybe try a Godfreys or something similar?

Ok here's another theory and it could be why in the US they seem to refer to it as a micro filter and not a pollen filter.

Pollen is everywhere (just ask someone who suffers bad hay fever) and you will drag it into the car every time you open a window or door, therefore if the pollen filter is only in the A/C circuit it's only ever effective on air coming through the cooling system not the air we actually breath. Pollen particles can be very small and I would have thought would require very fine holes to stop it but this doesn't seem to be true of the microfilters I've seen from the UK and US that go in the Nav cooling system.

The filters I've seen refered to in both the UK and US are just paper type material there is plenty of room for dust and stuff to get through the filter when the fan is running so are they really that effective at stopping the sand particles as mentioned earlier in this post which are bigger than pollen particles or is this just another thing where someone has said they are needed and therefore Nissan provide them at a cost.

This was why I was looking for a pic of one from an Aussie Nav because to me they have to be fairly close to a vacuum cleaner filter (like Jason said) for them to stop pollen and alot denser than the paper vein type filters used in pool filters and suggested by US and UK Nissan dealers, to stop sand.

I'm stopping by the dealer this afternoon, I'll try to take happy shots of one. Failing that, I'm getting mine installed on Tuesday, so I'll rip it out in the evening and give you a pic then, with ruler alongside for scale's sake.

Sounds good Tony, not all of us have dealers that are as good as yours, I have to travel too far for no other reason to the one I brought the car off and the local one I wont even ring and ask questions any more because they are morons.

I fitted the pair of so called pollen filters to my D40 shortly after buy the car. I can attest that they certainly keep dust out of the cabin...recently did a trip that included approx 10000km of dirt roads and dust ingress into the cabin was almost neglible. :big_smile: Now dust ingress into the canopy area.....well that's another matter entirely:angry:

Thanks for bumping up the thread Pete, I forgot to get back to say that they've tossed the filters they had on display, I have to wait until tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a snappy in before they install them, if not, I'll do it when I get home.

Latest posts

Back