z20 gearbox conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice14

Reaction score
hey there
i currently have a 1990 d21 navara with z20 engine 4spd column shift. what i want to do is put a 5spd in it. is it a straight swap without changing anything like tailshaft and mounts or is it even possible. want to do it as cheap as possible.
thanks heaps

It's definitely possible. Not sure on the length of the 4spd box as they're not common among enthusiasts. It's a two stage tailshaft in the 4x2s, a wrecker shouldn't charge you too much for the short tailshaft anyway, and the longer tailshaft shouldn't need changing.

thanks for that, also will the 2.4 5pd bolt straight onto my z20 engine. thanks

thanks mate , got another problem do you know if a z24 a/c kit would fit a z20. are they the same block so the compressor would bolt on the same or is it different.
thanks craig.

No worries. I just got a new desktop and am installing the Nissan FAST computerised parts catalogue in the next few days so once I've done that I'll have an answer on the AC question.

I reckon the a/c will fit. I replaced my Z24 with a KA24E, and the ac bolted right on. Didn't even need to remove the gas or rerun the hoses, just zip-tied it out of the way while I changed engines!

Finding the right size belt was a interesting, though.

I just had a quick look at the parts catalogue. The Z24 isn't in the JDM catalogue but the Z20 is and the bracket is the same as the Z24 bracket I've got out in the garage, so I suggest you will be fine.

I noticed a pattern and so I checked the Y60 patrol, and sure enough the bracket for the TD42 is the same as the TD27 bracket so I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that for any given engine family (N, KA, TD, Z, SD, etc), the bolt pattern in the block for the A/C compressor is the same. That doesn't account for a different pulley alignment however.

thanks very very much you all have been very helpful. now ill have a go at finding one and fitting.
thanks craig

Latest posts

Back