What's better ka24e or td27t ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolf

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what avenue to take with my nav.
It's a factory delivered ka24e which has now possibly expired, only running on 3 cylinders after a 70k jaunt along the beach.
I haven't had a chance to properly diagnose it as I've gone away for work.
But she's done over 330,000 k's and led a neglected life prior to my ownership,
timing chain is shagged and rattles like crazy, service history is a mystery, no ideas what's been done to it but I don't think a lot.
I bought a wreck with a td27t in it planning to replace the ka with it in the quest for better economy/ reliability for the longer distance trips with the family but..
The misses and I traded her VE SV6 in on a pajero exceed turbo diesel wagon so that will be the tourer and the nav won't go far anymore.
So I'm left with the decision stick with the ka and rebuid/modify it or go the td27t route??
When I bought the wreck my ka wasn't really performing to well but I sorted out a few running issues and had it going strong which made it heaps better off road, hence my doubts in going through with the swap.
I've done some research on the 2 engines and power wise the ka is miles in front but the td is a little better in torque and lower down in the revs.
What I'd like is an opinion from someone that has driven both if possible.
I've never driven one with a td27t and don't know anyone with one to be able too.

Thanks Craig

I would prefer the turbo diesel over an old petrol anyday. The TD will run for ever and can handle 15psi + boost. I have hade 3 terranos now all with TD and loved them. The only downside I can see is changing it all to suit the diesel (dash, fuel filler,exhaust etc) and if you change gerbox over as well. Doubt the KA and TD share the same box? But if you have a doner car then you have all the bits and just a matter of transfering it all over..

They share the same box, but different bell housing. Depending on what gearbox you ahve, bellhousing may or may not be replacable. Chances are it will be a gearbox swap as well. What are the two boxes?

I'm in the middle of a KA24 to TD27T swap (from a Terrano), and the wiring on the TD engine isn't really complex. If the TD box is an auto, then its a bit more complex. Given that you have the TD there already, I'd be throwing that in.

Alternatively, you could buy my KA. I'm sure shipping from NQ to WA wouldn't be too much. :)

Thanks for the replies guys.
The donor vehicle is an early d21 navara dual cab.
Engine was an n/a but has an aftermarket turbo kit fitted and a terrano fuel pump with the boost compensator.
Engine has reportedly only done 100,000k's since a rebuild.
The wreck has everything from fuel tank to fan, only bits missing are the oil cooler and gearbox.
Oil cooler is easily replaced and I can use my gearbox as the bellhousing is still hanging of the td engine.
Only bits I'd need to find would be the oil cooler, a dash out of a later model diesel to suit mine being a 95 model, a decent air cleaner box (probably grab a terrano one) and make some pipework up to fit the intercooler I've got hanging around my shed.
The main reason I bought the wreck was for the chassis as mine is a bit rusty.
Added bonus is it has 4.8 diffs as well (got 4.6 's currently)
So as the plan stands I don't actually need to swap the mechanicals they'll stay in the chassis and I'll be swapping the body over once I've fixed some rust, panelled and painted it.
The main thing I'm after is a bit of reassurance that I won't be disappointed with the diesel.
Also any idea what sort of hp output is achievable with the usual exh, boost and intercooler mods ?
Thanks Craig

It's a 20+ yr old diesel.

It should be reliable, not too fuel hungry, and you shouldn't be at risk of getting any speeding tickets :)

It's a 20+ yr old diesel.

It should be reliable, not too fuel hungry, and you shouldn't be at risk of getting any speeding tickets :)[/

No tickets in the nav
I've got an evo lancer which is perfect for that.

I've got tomorrow off so will be sussing out the navs problem
and will decide what to do from there.

Hey,

the KA will be miles faster in any respect to the TD27T.

The TD27 will produce more torque and is quite a good engine off-road.
I haven't any real complaints with my td27t..
It tows really well, and it great off road..it will happy sit cruising at low rpm, but when you need it will power over any obstacle.

My friend with a new triton and I filled up and traveled from Mandurah to just north of joundalup. His car used 9l of diesel and mine used 11l... so its not shit on fuel - but its no new engine for sure.

I enjoy its simplicity which is also great for offroad use, anything overly complicated can be hard to fix when your in the bush.

its easier to modify the turbo model - bigger exhaust and intercooler will give you a cple extra HP but a bucket-load more torque.

Is yours the EFI or carbarator model? if you had the newer EFI model it might be allright, ive never been a fan of carby....

if you do allot of off road the td27t will be good, but if you want to keep up with traffic on the road then you might want to keep the petrol.

if you come up around mandurah you could take mine for a run

Latest posts

Back