tail lights/ dash lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingbob

Reaction score
hi all,

just a quick question for you gurus, my tail lights/ dash lights stopped working, have checked the fuse (was blown now replaced), and bulbs (fine), but am still getting nothing. is there something to check in the steering column? I checked under the hood and there wasnt a switch in the panel, should i get one? thanks guys,

rob

ok, did you install a cd player recently? because the dash light's wiring system earth's out through the old cd player. so it could have been that.
if not i have NFI!

Stereo wiring for sure if you have changed it or modified it at all recently....had the same problem a while ago, had me stumped for ages, till I got on here and had it sorted in an hour.

check trailer plug wiring. i had a dodgey trailer connected to my d40 which took out dash & tail lights. perhaps the internals of your trailer plug are corroded or rusted and shorting out.

ok cheers guys, had a cd player installed prob 5 months ago, so pull it out and look for earthing wires?

Mine was where I connected the new earth wire to the black wire in the Nav stereo loom.

kingbob,
i had just finished installing uhf/scanner, which i wired into stereo harness. the wire in this harness that reads as an earth is actually the wire to dim the head unit. so every time the lights are turned on it creates a short, you loose parkers, dash and climate control lighting. 10a fuse top 4th from left from memory

cheers
jamie
________
MeToU

Last edited:
Hey just put my stereo in today and bingo this exact thing happened.. what is best way to fix this.. can i just tee into the neutral and screw it onto the dash some where???

You can do that if you can find some good bare metal behind there, or run a seperate wire (black if possible) to the back of the cig lighter.

Looks like im now a member of this club..( New Stereo, no tail lights/dash Club )
So iv gotta pull the thing apart again..agghrrr

Once i get to the cig lighter with the wire how/where do i attach it? To the cig earth, or just on to it somewhere? Solder?

Last edited:
All sorted out now. Just Ran and T'd into earth of the cig ligter, and taped up the old one

Hi all, well that's a retarded place to put it. (Yup got caught by it).
Thanx for the help guys, just wish i didnt have to fix it at 2am after pulling a 24hour day :(

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me.
Wired it up wrong now I got no tail lights or dash lights. Rewired the earth into the cig lighter earth but the problem remains. All the fuses look fine. Triple checked the wiring at the back of the HU. I have the orange ILL wire coming from the lume but no ILL wire on the HU so its not connected to anything. Incidentally, this wire does not have any voltage when the parker switch is turned on. Is this right or should there be 12v? All tail light bulbs are ok. Even tested both the acc and ign relays that are on the drivers side fuse box (with some help from utube) and they seem to be working fine.
I wonder if the dash illumination bulbs have blown. Would this knock out the tail lights as well?

I put a fitting on a clip and screwed it into one of the mounting screws. Its allu on there so that should earth enough, also, usually the arial acts as an earth too.

Got my dash lights sorted. Turned out to be a 25A fuse blown buried in my engine bay which is part of an after market 'always on' safety parker / tail light setup. A bit of patience and wire tracing unearthed it eventually. Phew! So stoked it was nothing serious.

new boy

hi everyone!im the new boy on the block.i own a d22 3.3ltr.great to be on this forum.cheers!

Hi guys, i just installed a new head unit in my D40 and i also lost my tail lights and illumanation lights on the dash.Can some one help? ive been to 3 auto electricians with out any luck PLEASE HELP

Latest posts

Back