Dash removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Dammit doesn't look like anyone's pulled the dash out of a D40. Looks like I'm going to have to rely on the manual, or a big hammer.

Don't look at me (yet). My car's nearing 3 weeks old, I've only pulled the glovebox out so far, to check for aircon filters.

But I've got a workshop manual. It's about 120Mb of PDFs. It's not for the current model and it reads more like an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine in places, almost like it were intended for trained monkeys rather than mechanics.

We might need to negotiate on that ;)

Dammit doesn't look like anyone's pulled the dash out of a D40. Looks like I'm going to have to rely on the manual, or a big hammer.

There arent many screws, you basically just pull hard on the part then the clips pop or break off.
What part in particular are you wanting to get at?

I've got the manual for both the Nav and the Frontera so if I get really stuck I'll just change sides.

My aim is to pull out the dash from the right hand side to the glove box to run some cables, initially I just wanted the center part but I figured since I've got all day and nothing better to do I might go the whole hog and run my Scanguage cables, my reversing camera cables and clean up some other wiring from the sat nav, cb and extra power leads I have floating around there. The ultimate aim is just to make a secure and solid mount for the camera screen but I'm going the long way about it.

The lazy man's tool kit has always consisted of a big hammer and a medium shifter so I should be right I have two of each.

Wow there is nearly room for a party behind the stereo and heater controls, fancy having all that space and not filling it full of cables and stuff. With that part of the console out I might even wire myself another ciggie lighter since the wiring harness and blocked hole are there.

I haven't got any pictures of the blood...oops I mean how I got it off but its pretty basic.
Remove the top part of the storage cover with a flat blade screw driver
Undo the one screw you see in the middle
Yank the console
The top half around the radio comes out, remove any plugs if you need to get it right out of the way.

The lower piece appears to have 4 screws in it 2 top, 2 bottom (hidden) but I can get my hand down into the second to get a few nuts and bolts working for my bracket so I don't think I'll take that off yet.

While there was bits hanging off I figured I'd go a bit further and check out the pollen filter as discussed here.

Sure enough like others my D40 didn't have one and since its highly unlikely Nissan will be doing the 20K service where they supposedly put one in I decided I'll make one myself and be done with it.

There doesn't appear to be anything special about the Nissan filter and going by the price I saw on ebay uk of 25 pounds I'm just not game to ask Nissan for one. From the pics I've seen similar material should cost about $10 but I've got some similar type stuff floating around which will suffice.

Not sure if Nissan end up including the cost in the 20K service but they can keep mine.

To be honest I was contemplating that idea but as yet haven't got around to it, gotta clean up all the blood first don't want to make it look like an accident scene.

Actually there is no blood I am just lazy although I was a bit suprised at just how easy all those bits come off once you find the few screws that hold it together.

I was also going to take some photos of my canopy and put a review up on that since I don't know anyone else who's used these canopies but right now the review would be tainted by poor customer service and I want to give the company a chance to redeem themselves a bit.

After spending most of my day with my hands stuck in the dash I did get most of the tasks mentioned above finished. I took some pics of the ripped out surround around the radio and the finale where all bits new and old fitted together, I haven't taken them off the camera yet but can do so in the next day or two if people want to see how the dash console comes out.

I didn't get around to the pollen filter today as I ran into other problems due to a mass produced canopy not actually working as it should. It does bug me when you pay for something only to have to fix it yourself so it works properly but thankfully now I know it is working properly and wont render the canopy useless in a few months. I got some pics of that too but it wont be very relevant to anyone who doesn't have the same canopy.

It must now be beer o'clock

Ok so I've managed to get around to putting up some images of the center part of the dash being removed. All this to install a bloody reversing camera I don't really use anyway.

I didn't get a pic of the dash before I started so just look at the brochure.
To remove the tray at the top you just need a small flat bladed screw driver and pry it off gently at the front and the rear pegs will pop out.
Once you have the tray off it's simply a matter of undoing the center screw you will see...

center_1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I've finished now feel free to bag the crap out of my backyard workmanship if you like.
Hope I can be this polite if I get around to reviewing the canopy today

Great write up. This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have just finished an install of my UHF and wanted to know how the dash came apart for the wiring to be hidden and here it is.

Thanks heaps

PS can I ask how it all went back together? I know in reverse to what I have just read but what I mean is any broken clips, screws missing, RATTLES....?

I'll have to show you some pics when I next start hooking things up, but I use my reversing camera to guide me nice and close to objects, but also to line up the ol' tow hitch.

Gets the ball right under the receiver every single time. No more straining the ol' neck or guessing or trying to drag the van forward after its wheels had settled in the ground a bit!

I haven't put a trailer on since the camera was installed but I might use it for lining the ball up. The whole idea of reversing while looking forward at a screen just doesn't sit right with me. I was taught to drive a vehicle no matter how long and rely on the mirrors to go backwards.

Backing a truck up to a loading dock I'd usually use the touch method, as opposed to the slam into the dock method preferred by some of my colleagues, I wont do that in the Nav but using the mirrors and nothing else is still my preferred choice and I'm sure it will be for a long time to come. I'm just glad I only wasted $100 on the camera and screen.

Latest posts

Back