D21 need engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffcamp

Reaction score
Hey wondering if anyone can help im in bathurst nsw and looking for a d21 motor z24 2.4 petrol if anyone knows where i can find one would be great help if u could let me know

Some come up on eBay every so often. Search some wreckers in the area (Google, Yellow Pages) for Pintara or Navara Z24s.

Any reason you want a Z24 specifically? They'll be getting long in the tooth by now. A KA24 isn't too hard to fit instead, if you don't mind mucking around with the wiring. bolt-wise, it's all the same.

Thanks guys for your replys just after a z24 quick and easy to replace with no headaches only gotta get me through my p's then looking to upgrade

Ok no worries. Look at the WD21 Pathfinder, they came out with the Z24 aswell.

Pretty sure the Urvan ran the Z series engine aswell.

Dave.

The Z24 was available in the 720 from 83 onwards, the same time they started using the Nissan name. The 86 models had a fuel injected Z24!

The '86 720 had an efi Z24? Then why the hell did my '86 Navara have a carby Z24?

The Urvan may have had the Z24 as well, but if you've got a 4by, the sump will be different, so you will need to swap over the sump and oil pick up as well prob.

If you fit an engine older than the car you may ahve trouble changing the rego details.

Any reason you want a Z24 specifically? They'll be getting long in the tooth by now. A KA24 isn't too hard to fit instead, if you don't mind mucking around with the wiring. bolt-wise, it's all the same.

so if i rip out my z24 a ka24 will fit right in?

so if i rip out my z24 a ka24 will fit right in?

Physically? Perfectly. There is some mucking around with fuel (needs to be high pressure, but its not difficult), and wiring as the KA has an ecu. But if you get the whole lot from from say a later model Navara, even the airbox bolts right in. Even the heater hoses are in the same spot.

Here's what I've written on the 4wdaction.com.au forum about it:

"To update an old thread for anyone else who might try this: '99 KA24e engine now in engine bay of old 86 Navara, and it's pretty much a straight bolt in replacement. Starter motor bolts on, alternator bolts on (need to shave a couple of mm off bracket), a/c bolts on (but you need bolts about 5mm shorter than on the Z), air box brackets line up with unused bolt holes in engine bay(!), throttle cable from '99 fits in perfectly in same space as existing throttle cable, heater hoses from KA fit in perfectly, engine mounts the same, gearbox bolts the same. Used existing drivers side engine loom for starter, alternator, temp guage etc, passenger side engine loom from the KA for injectors and sensors. Also used existing exhaust manifold. Same bolt pattern, but may still change this as the head has square ports and the manifold round

The mods were really minor and pretty straight forward. Used sump and oil pickup tube from Z24, and needed to weld a small extra section on the front, otherwise all bolt holes lined up. This was only because the engine was from a 2WD. I'm sure that if I'd gotten a 4WD engine, it wouldn't have been an issue Had to use the '99 power steering pump, but the existing hoses lined up fine. The bottom radiator hose was about 7cm too short, but the right shape, so just added a bit to extend it. Added an inline efi fuel pump. That's about it, mechanically speaking.

The only part that really needed any thought was the wiring, and even that was pretty trivial in the end; one 6 wire loom from the drivers side to the ecu, and a relay and line to the fuel pump in the engine bay. (Edit note - moved fuel pump to sit above chassis under car, and also added in 1L surge tank.)

Now, haven't actually driven it yet, but the engine started up and ran first time, so any other issues I'm thinking come down to general engine condition, not swap issues.

This is the first time I've swapped an engine, so it took me a while, but overall, quite achievable for anyone with the time. Probably a good one for anyone who thinks they want to have a go at this sort of thing."

You do a search on my name in the Nissan section over there and you'll find a few other bits and pieces too, but this is the bulk of it. Ended up having to replace exhaust manifold.

If you can afford a little time to muck around with fuel and wiring, then you'll end up with a better result.

Back