How do you post a video

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOLID D22

Reaction score
Sorry guys if its in the wrong thread but i would like to post up some vid of my car in action but i dont have a clue how or how big the video file can be.
Can anyone help me out here, much appreciated?

There is an upload video link in the bar that has User Cp and Garages etc. Has some instructions on the next screen telling you want to do. Dunno about the size limit thought most of my servers have a 10 meg upload limit but this one could be different

Looks like you might need an external www like youtube or something on this forum, but I could be wrong on that one

Last edited by a moderator:
Il give it a try otherwise it will just have to be you tube, im gathering i would have to compress some of my vid files as they might be too big for you tube.

Thanks anyway.

Having my own server means I don't have to use youtube so I don't know what file formats they use but given most video formats use some form of compression you're not really going to compress them any more unless they are in a zip file which is unreadable by viewers.

I'd imagine the only way to compress things more would be to cut them into shorter vids. I've seen 10 min youtube vids so I doubt length is an issue and I'm guessing they'd just use standard video extensions like mpg mov or wmv or there wouldn't be so many people using youtube.

Just use youtube mate, the video area on this site gives you the option of linking to it when you post it.

Easiest way.

I thought YT vids were all FLV (flash video). Small, grainy, but useful in any case.

Yeah thats right, they are flash video files, the older ones tend to be small and grainy and some still are from people that arent sure what to upload.

Youtube now does up to 1920x1080 which is HD if you have the time and bandwidth to upload it.

As an example check this vid YouTube - Bulbophyllum medusae HD click the HD button bottom right to see what it can look like.

Having my own server means I don't have to use youtube so I don't know what file formats they use but given most video formats use some form of compression you're not really going to compress them any more unless they are in a zip file which is unreadable by viewers.

I'd imagine the only way to compress things more would be to cut them into shorter vids. I've seen 10 min youtube vids so I doubt length is an issue and I'm guessing they'd just use standard video extensions like mpg mov or wmv or there wouldn't be so many people using youtube.

I find I get the best results if I convert my vids to wmv then upload them, youtube tends to convert them quickly and they aren't bad quality.

Still learning about it but they are getting better without killing my bandwidth quota.

Gee youtube has come a long way since it's early days, no longer is it just a bandwidth killer it's a High Def band width killer.

I've done several websites over the years with embedded videos but I try and avoid youtube and make it all run off the server. There is no real advantage either way but given that most people only view these things in small boxes on a variety of resolutions to me HD isn't really that useful yet when you sacrifice the loading time.

Embedded MP3's are the same, studio quality isn't as important as some people think considering an MP3 in itself is actually made by removing some of the quality and higher bit rates don't improve that. For me it's keep them small and fast and people might watch and listen, if they have to wait chances are you've lost them.

If you embed a youtube video on your site the video is streamed direct from youtube to the viewer, therefore doesn't count toward the sites bandwidth.

Making it all run off the server will use the server's bandwidth. Big disadvantage.

my reference to bandwidth was about the end user still having to download it. My bandwidth limit because it's my server is unlimited but my isp's isn't.
I agree with you point if I was on a shared host or paying different for my space though

How much do you pay for a regional ISP plan with unlimited bandwidth/data use if you don't mind me asking?

Are you a reseller for the ISP as well?

My server is unlimited in that I dont pay for traffic too and from my websites. My isp is just like everyone else and has its limits, and its limitations.

I'm a hosting reseller but not an ISP reseller, I used to have a bit to do with Access one back in the mid 90's down here but got out quickly once I realised just how much work you have to do to keep people happy.

It would be unlimited if it was in the same room as you! Ha ha.

So the websites you host on your server are limited by the bandwidth and traffic limits of your ISP. In that case it is definately advantageous to embed players and stream from video hosting services (ie. YouTube), these guys are directly connected to backbones so bandwidth (speed) is neither here nor there for them. The end user/viewer has already made the decision to watch the video so the cost to them BW/Data is a moot point. You would be reducing your costs of hosting/providing that service to the website viewer and reducing the main choke point which is the bandwidth limit your ISP put's on you. Depending on the number of sites you host and the amount of content contained in them.

I'm originally from Lakes Entrance, I know how bad they have had it in the past with regard to choice/costs of ISP's. It's getting better though from what I've been told.

Last edited:
My servers aren't sitting next to me. I have 2 in the US and 1 in the UK and also use an aussie hosting company for some clients. Someone does the on site maintenance and pats them down but they are controlled by me and used only for me or my clients.

The websites I create usually only have short promo type vids, film clips or even instructional how to's so when I've done them it's easier for me and the site to keep everything on one server. There may be some conjecture but I believe it's also better for SEO to house as much as you can on one server as most search engines will ignore a link to youtube, facebook and myspace etc because it can be considered a black hat method of gaining popularity.

I agree that users make the choice to view a youtube vid but it's usually because they have been sent the link and told it's funny. If you're trying to convince customers to buy or showing off new talent in a video clip you can't always rely on the viewer waiting for a video to load.

It's the nature of the beast we just don't want to be the first to wait for anything that's why when isp's tell us they will give us a faster service we think we have to have it without thinking that in many cases it's just not physically possible to go faster.

I don't know what broadband is like down in Lakes but most areas down have atleast ADSL these days. We've got over 23,000 people in my town and Telstra claim to have ADSL2+ but the one exchange that does have ADSL2+ is only good enough for high speed in the CBD, so it serves about a dozen houses at full speed but it doesn't stop them telling the customer it's good for the whole town. The disclaimer they make up about speeds dropping applies to about 97% of the town they claim can get their high speed service. ISP's suck and I actually regret working for one.

Ah that makes sense now regarding the bandwidth, got any links to sites you've done? Would be interested to see.

SEO marketing tips are gold, so many people stuff them up, and they are constantly changing. Haven't heard anything about ignoring links to youtube or social networking sites.

I think we have more than answered Stef's original question :p

My link below shows some current and not so current but not all of them. I don't believe any of those have videos attached to them, the computer website did but thats off line for a remodel and until I get back from holiday's, I can't run a website and business like that and have holidays so I'll rebirth it in the new year. The swimming pool site had a few vids once but that mob went bust as far as I know. In the new year there will also be a new muso site so I'm working on the vids and mp3s for that if they ever arrive.

It's not so much that search engines will ignore youtube type links (bad choice of words on my behalf) it's more that unscrupulous designers used to pad their code with links to other high ranking sites in the hope that search engines would in turn see their site linked to something popular and rank them higher. Now days there is no SEO benefit to do that and therefore a site heavily linked to sites like youtube etc could be penalised where as a site linking videos only to itself wont be. Like you said it's every changing and todays rule isn't around tomorrow but because of how hard it is it's not always worth risking

Stef got the bonus package

Back