Spare wheel confusion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy

Reaction score
Wow - as a newbie to looking for an extra wheel it's a jungle. Have a 2010 D40 Spanish build with original wheels running original (so far) 255/65/17 tyres. What size rim and offset should I be looking for? Just want it as a second spare to strap to the roof on trips. I presume I am better off with a steel one or doesn't it matter that much. Also, do I have any choice in rim sizes?

Hi Sammy, i have a steel rim of my 07 spanish d40 that would fit. you can have it for $50. im also on the coast northen end. pm me if you are interested....

Thanks for the offer 4 naving we discussed on pm. This topic is still open if anyone has further advice. I noticed in my vehicle handbook they quoted rim size as 17" x 7J with 30mm offset. Does anyone have one for sale? (Only want one as an extra spare for on top going out bush).

If its only for a spare, I dont think it would matter if its a 16" or 17" wheel. Just make sure the tyres are the same size in comparison. Is the spare a 17"?

255/65/17
255/70/16 are the same size if i'm not mistaken...

Ideally you wouldnt run different size for every day use, but if its only to get you out of trouble then it might be a better option.

The only trouble is the abs sensors can be a bit sensitive to even very small amounts of size difference and not let you engage 4wd if needed. you can get on line and google the "mita tyer calculator " and it will give accurare info on size profiles and the effects on rolling diamiters and spedo inaccuracies... new "sunraysia type" steel rims are not that expensive under $100 + tyer. order localy or try Ace tyers in tingalpa, brisbane they would have them in stock. or someone here might have one if you can wait....

Yep the spare is 17" and I am thinking I should stick with same rim size but 16" is much more available ad the local tyreman says that for a spare i could use 16" with tyres sized to match existing 17".

Thanks for that 4 naving. I thought this was not that straight forward....will have a trawl through the calculator etc. I don't want to stuff up abs sensors and 4wd will be useful out woop woop just after getting a flat!

I doubt you would have dramas setting off the ABS sensor. lots of people have upgraded their tyres and rims and i haven't heard of an ABS sensor problem yet.

It wont damage the sensors. but if they detect the wheels are rotating at differn't speeds it will not allow 4wd to be engaged.

Latest posts

Back