ongoing torque converter shudder

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericcs

Reaction score
i posted a couple of years ago the shuddering in auto lockup at 100k's +- the car back then had about 55k on the clock, now it has 145k. quite a few people had the same issue, so i'm wondering if any of these people have eventually done something about or still just live with it, and if so, has it gotten worse?. i still live with mine and it doesn't seem any different 90k on!

Several people had their torque converter replaced under warranty. I hadn't heard of it on a 2006 model, I thought it was just the 2007 to early 2009 models. I have a July 2009 manufacture vehicle and it doesn't do it.

As far as I know it's caused by the TCC not engaging correctly and then disengaging, then making the attempt again - in quick enough succession to cause a noticeable vibration. There's no cure apart from replacing the torque converter that I've heard of, although I do imagine that with a few faulty units you'd be able to figure out what is wrong and possibly do something to it - but all the faulty units that I know of are with Nissan who MIGHT know what it is but getting an answer from them wouldn't be easy.

Now, all that said - it might be worth your while going to your Nissan dealer and asking if they could approach Nissan to have it done as a goodwill gesture. You might suggest covering the labour costs (should be about 3 hours, if memory serves) if they're reluctant. Nissan have known about it for some time and might come to the party.

Good luck!

I have a 2010 ST with 80k on it. I had it in at about 40k to Nissan regarding the shudder, however was knocked back and advised that it was a trait of the vehicle and there were no mechanical issues as such. It has not got any worse since then, so im not really interested in chasing my tail trying to get the torque converter replaced by nissan.

Several people had their torque converter replaced under warranty. I hadn't heard of it on a 2006 model, I thought it was just the 2007 to early 2009 models. I have a July 2009 manufacture vehicle and it doesn't do it.

As far as I know it's caused by the TCC not engaging correctly and then disengaging, then making the attempt again - in quick enough succession to cause a noticeable vibration. There's no cure apart from replacing the torque converter that I've heard of, although I do imagine that with a few faulty units you'd be able to figure out what is wrong and possibly do something to it - but all the faulty units that I know of are with Nissan who MIGHT know what it is but getting an answer from them wouldn't be easy.

Now, all that said - it might be worth your while going to your Nissan dealer and asking if they could approach Nissan to have it done as a goodwill gesture. You might suggest covering the labour costs (should be about 3 hours, if memory serves) if they're reluctant. Nissan have known about it for some time and might come to the party.

Good luck!

unfortunately i didn't take them to task when it first started which was only 3 months after the warranty ran out. 3 years and 90k later i think i would have no chance. i'm curious to know if they get to a point and let go completely rendering the car un drivable.
mostly driving around brisbane, it rarely happens, so it's forgotten about until you get out on a freeway. unless some inheritance or a lotto win come around, i'll have to live with it.

the after market units mentioned above look interesting, wonder what they cost, on top of getting the car to victoria?

i rang them he said 1700 and when u send ur old one down to them they give u 500 back so its 1200 at the end of the day

unfortunately i didn't take them to task when it first started which was only 3 months after the warranty ran out. 3 years and 90k later i think i would have no chance. i'm curious to know if they get to a point and let go completely rendering the car un drivable.
mostly driving around brisbane, it rarely happens, so it's forgotten about until you get out on a freeway. unless some inheritance or a lotto win come around, i'll have to live with it.

the after market units mentioned above look interesting, wonder what they cost, on top of getting the car to victoria?

i rang them he said 1700 and when u send ur old one down to them they give u 500 back so its 1200 at the end of the day

that seems like a good price, i might ring them to find out what they charge to install it. might be able to incorporate it in a trip down there. thanks damo

We could get together an if everyone's keen see what price they can do for a few of them because I'm keen, I'm sure they can massage a few numbers.

i rang this mob today, nice people to talk to and very informative. however, they assure me that the shuddering that i and many others thought was the T/C is not, apparently it's in the computer, for which they cannot fix, yet. they need a donor car with the issue for some months. so, basically he said that their own T/C and valve body kit will transform the gearbox, it won't cure my shuddering. anyone else with any clues?

Nissan have been replacing the TC, and not the TCM, and it's been fixing it. Could this mob be trying to flog their computer as well?

he was playing up their t/c and valve body kit, not that i have the issues they claim to fix, but assures me that replacing the t/c will definitely not cure the shuddering?? $2200 drive in drive out for the t/c, plus an extra $1200 for the valve body.

I guess it's possible that Nissan have been replacing the TCM as well and just haven't said anything. Unfortunately in the forum world it's difficult to get a complete picture of every thing that happens.

Anyone who's had their TC replaced care to offer any more info?

Back