D40 Auto tx shudder...or am I dreaming?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete22

Reaction score
I have a D40 Auto 2.5 diesel with 1700km on the clock. I have a slight shudder/vibration that occurs at 1600 rpm (80kph) with O/D engaged. I am running 265/70R15 BFG A/T tyres. At the 1000km check the dealer suggested that it might be the tyres but it seems to stop if I disengage the O/D. Wondering if this is a problem experienced by others or could it be the fact that I've never driven an auto diesel before? Comments appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

i have heard of this problem a lot in the auto's. in every case i had heard of they just add a friction modifier to the oil.
However when i complained of the same problem they replaced the talque converter and now no more problem. the shudder that i had was between 90 and 110 in overdrive only and only when there was load on the box ie, up a slight hill or slow exeleration on overtaking. i had the problem from new however for some reason or another i never got it fixed until about 50000 because nissan always had an excuse to poot it off.
better than new now.

i have heard of this problem a lot in the auto's. in every case i had heard of they just add a friction modifier to the oil.
However when i complained of the same problem they replaced the talque converter and now no more problem. the shudder that i had was between 90 and 110 in overdrive only and only when there was load on the box ie, up a slight hill or slow exeleration on overtaking. i had the problem from new however for some reason or another i never got it fixed until about 50000 because nissan always had an excuse to poot it off.
better than new now.

That seems to be almost identical to what is happening to me....I will confront the Nissan dealer again tomorrow. Thanks for that Bob.
Cheers
Pete

Got the ute booked in for Monday....will keep you posted on the outcome. I am expecting them to use the additive as a 'first' fix..the more I feel this the more I reckon it is the torque converter getting a bit sticky and not operating as you would expect of a modern fluid drive.

Last edited:
Its a new car, tell em to fix it.

Good luck.

Dave.

Had the vehicle with the dealer today and they couldn't identify/reproduce the problem. Comment on the work docket is: "Investigated gearbox shudder when in O/Drive checked transmission fluid levels, all ok, no problems. Carried out computer diagnosis, no faults evident. Carriet ou report to Nissan Techline - awaiting response."
When I picked the vehicle up late today the Service Manager advised that Nissan Techline had advised that a modified torque converter would be provided and fitted under warranty and they would advise me when it had arrived and make arrangements for fitting.
So, seemingly a win but it does beg the question....if Nissan approved the new torque converter then surely it is a known problem and should be resolved for all. That said, I'm happy with the outcome for me thus far.

So, seemingly a win but it does beg the question....if Nissan approved the new torque converter then surely it is a known problem and should be resolved for all.

It should be resolved for all, but Nissan have a notorious history of denying a problem exists, even when they know about it. Take the early ZD30 powered Patrols, there were many that melted pistons, Nissan knew it was a problem but they weren't about to issue a recall to fix the issue, instead they just kept quiet and denied there was any issue, but then they go and put oil squirters in the bottom of the bores to cool the piston crowns around 2001.

Hopefully anyone else that sees this has the same success as you did in getting it resolved, but they might not, a lot depends on the service departments attitude as to whether you will get the work done that is required.

shudder

nissan have trouble finding there own workshop, thats why it took me around 50000klm to get mine fixed. every time it got serviced they could not find it or found an excuse not to test drive it. when i finally got sick of the excuses i waited at the dealers until the head mechanic had time to go for a drive. once they whitnesed the problem they got on it straight away.
mostly my own fault for not takeing the time in the first place i suppose.

Take the early ZD30 powered Patrols, there were many that melted pistons, Nissan knew it was a problem but they weren't about to issue a recall to fix the issue, instead they just kept quiet and denied there was any issue, but then they go and put oil squirters in the bottom of the bores to cool the piston crowns around 2001.
got any info on that?

afaik it wasn't oil squirters, they allready had them. the best i can tell the problem was crap piston design. fixed around '03.
however i think part of the reapir kit from nissan was a new block which i'm told had a change with the oil gallerys.

Yep the blocks are the issue. You reuse the crank, head and all valve gear, injection pump etc.

Not sure on the rods though.

Dave.

Just thought I give you an update on the 'shudder' problem - new torque converter has arrived and will be fitted by Nissan Thu/fri this week. Apparently a 6 hour job so they've asked for the vehicle for 2 days - just in case.

Hi Pete

can you please tell me if the Torque convertor fixed the issue as i am having the same problem and mine has just gone in to nissan today.

thanks in advance Carts

Hi Pete

can you please tell me if the Torque convertor fixed the issue as i am having the same problem and mine has just gone in to nissan today.

thanks in advance Carts

Seems to have fixed the problem...now have >30000km and all smooth. Just completed a crossing of 4 deserts (Great Sandy, Gibson, Simpson and Sturts Stoney) and she's still running fine.

My update,

Nissan Cyprus, belive :dontknow: it to be the rear axle and have ordered a complete replacement...YES :listen: a complete one for one swap, watch this space:damnmate:

Hi. any updates on this shudder i just bought a 06 st-x 2.5L auto and its doing it between 90-110 under slight load . bloody annoying as cars only three years old.

Hi, yes, Nissan Cyprus have confirm its the Torque convertor and are now going to replace it. there words were that nissan have advised them its a know fault and that mine should be (is one needing) the replacement. Going to seem them tomorrow to chase up fitment.

Shame that you have to go to them to get it fixed after you discover it. If they know which ones need to be fixed they should be chasing you.

I'm going to pay very close attention to mine. I've got a sneaking suspicion that something I was attributing to road surface or just "straining" (ie not kicking the thing back a gear) may be the same issue.

Latest posts

Back