Camp beds

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBOD

Reaction score
The co-pilot and I are expecting another stowaway (kid) and suspect the roof top tent ain't going to be spacious enough for the four of us. Especially give that currently sleeping up there with a 2 year old results in him taking up 90% of the surface area of the bed with mum and dad pressed against the tent canvas on either side.....yeah yeah I know, I had my 3minutes of pleasure and now I suffer the consequences until he is 18 and I can kick him out .:violin2:

Anyway, we are going to try a few camp trips with a ground tent (picked up a great looking Black Wolf Turbo Tent on fleabay) but wondering about sleeping options. One of the beauties of the roof tent is you get a nice comfy mattress in there that folds away with the tent so takes up no extra room. Wondered what comfortably option people have found works for them?

I can't stand air beds as they aren't supportive and usually result in myself or the co pilot going flying when the other rolls over unless you pump it so hard it is like sleeping on a rock.

Other options suggested are 4x4 self inflating mats, stretcher beds and (rather missing the point) checking in to a hotel. What have people found works?

Cheers in advance and yes I did do a search before asking

Self inflating mattress's is by far the best for sleeping on, but they take up a lot of room.

My suggestion is mum and dad up top, children down the bottom in a small tent and share one queen size stretcher.

The self inflating mattresses that I used were the bush walking ones. Rolled down to a small bundle. I doubt if they are everyone's cup of tea as there isn't much underneath for hips and sinking in.

I loath air beds. Generally they are cold, unless you load them up with blankets underneath and eventually they start leaking or puncture. Its bad enough getting up for a midnight piss, let alone a pump up or two during the night.

We actually took camp beds away at one stage, until we went up to the camper trailer. The way we chose them was to go around the camping shops and lay on everyone. We eventually found one in BCF that we liked and managed to pick up a pair 100kms north.

I'd recommend that you carry out the same test.

I'll add a +1 to the kids in their own tent on the ground as soon as possible. If you are looking for a stretcher for young kids, get the lowest one you can(less to fall if they wiggle/roll out).

I've got an awesome camper trailer for sale.

Back on topic, have a jackeroo air bed but on a frame and its way better than any air bed I've ever used, a little bulky tho, similar size to suitcase when packed up. Got it from big w I think for about $80 for the top of the range one.

As for kids we have tried various different beds. Kids preferred these airbeds we got them built into a sleeping bag but we hated them because for some reason the little bastards can't seem to stay still while they sleep, no matter how much they are sedated or restrained, and they were terribly noisy. My parents ended up getting the kids a little stretcher style bed each, they were great, kids had excellent sleep on them too.

Hope my info has helped but one more recommendation is that the innerspring mattress in my camper trailer as by far the best camp bed I have ever slept on. Check out thread D40 king cab custom camper trailer.

Cheers, Phil.

The self inflating mattresses that I used were the bush walking ones. .

My hiking mat is an Exped. It's 7cm thick and has an R rating somewhere near lava. I use it for winter hikes in Tassie and it works a treat. But at nearly $400 it might be a bit exxy to get 4 plus sleeping bags etc.

More realistic options are:

1) cots

2) air beds (but why anybody would is beyond me)

3) a double swag and two singles. You're in the tent so they dont have to be bomb proof - just comfortable. Also gives you a bit of versatility as the stowaways get older. And they pack into themselves and can be carried anywhere on the truck

We just recently bought some Oz Trail stretchers, they sit about 400mm high roughly. On top of them we put a swag with sleeping bag inside that, pretty soft, very warm.

Prior to these beds we had old vinyly beds only about 200mm off the ground. One thing I hadn't counted on with the new beds was how great it was to have room under the bed. You can put your dirtly boots, bags anything under there which makes the tent larger in way. Plus, you can sit on the beds.

I also have a single self inflating mattress, blows up to about 2-3" in height. It is very comfortable.

Back when I was younger I think the folks shared an air mattress and us two kids had a single stretcher each, worked out well really.

For some reason I've got a feeling it was a bunk bed type double stretcher as well, but my memory isn't that great.

We have Coleman camping stretchers for us and a kiddies wanderer stretcher for the kids that we put in our black wolf tent there comfy as and you can put stuff underneath out of the way

Cheers for the pointers, with the general recommendation being the mattress on a stretcher we picked up and Oztrail double stretcher and a Oztrail Queen mattress and will be giving it a whirl this weekend. Got them on gumtree so if they don't suit there is not much lost just stick 'em back on gumtree.

Something that has disappointed me is that the 4wd mattresses (unless I am looking in the wrong places) just seem to be vinyl air beds with foam in. I was expecting them to be made out of something more hard wearing and rugged like a heavy canvas. Is this normal or am I looking at the wrong thing? And dear god they don't pack too small. Takes up more room that our tent!

As for the separate tents idea, all very well but he's only 2 and his mother is still quite attached to him so worries if he is on his own. I worry more that he'd have the zip open and be off running a mock.

Will let you know how we get on.

Latest posts

Back