d21 stalling issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderclaw

Reaction score
I have a 1986 nissan navara dx d21
its been stalling 3-4 times while driving typically within 15 mins after warm up. It then takes a lot to start again, but then its usually fine. the engine was rebuilt 60,000kms ago. It had the converter in the gas system replaced in the hope that it would fix this problem, but it is still doing the same thing whether its running petrol or gas. any ideas on what i should do next would be great thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

If it's still cold I'd have to wonder if the choke is staying on?

Cheers well it doesn't seem like the choke is stuck on. The car runs fine then out of no where cuts out ,feels like its not getting fuel. This is happening when running both fuel or gas? Could it be a carby issue? Does gas use the carby? Just can't work this one out? Thanks for your help

I think someone else is going to have to answer the gas question because I'm no expert on it.

If it's happening on both fuels it's something common to both fuels and since it only happens with a cold engine I assumed the choke. It could just as easily be distributor, HT leads, ignition coil, electrical connection to the ignition coil, electrical problem with the automatic choke perhaps interfering with the ignition coil supply - there's a number of things to look at.

It does sound electrical. Sometimes a coil can fail when warm, and then work fine once it cools down again. Given that its just stopping and not running rough, if its electrical then it must be at or before the distributor. How long since you've replaced the HT leads?

Another thought, there is an anti-dieseling solenoid on the carby. If that were dodgy or the wire to it was, it would cut the fuel off, but I would think it may run rough for a little first.

Third thought, if its hard to start when its warm, could it be flooding the engine? This might happen if you lose spark suddenly, but carby is still going.

For my money, I'd be starting with the coil and HT leads. Got any spares you can put your hands on to try swapsies?

Latest posts

Back