Fuel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wont ever be an exact figure, it will barely be a guessable figure. Someone can throw up a figure to rest your mind at ease but just adding different tyres does not insure a difference in economy.

mine jumped from 9.5 to 10 -11 per 100ks and thats on factory alloys with allterrains and all the gear bolted on, And driving gently still good in my eyes because my old patrol (td42i) was nowhere near that and was less powerfull.

Depends on the tire weight (including indivdual brands and makes) Rims, your right foot, the weather and that butterfly that flaps its wings across the ocean.

As an example I went from my muds on 16" steelies to at's on 16' factory alloys and my fuel economy actually got worse consistantly over the last dozen tanks or so. both 265/75/16. My mate did the same thing on his truck and is getting heaps more k's now then he was.

Both tyre size and tyre pressures play a part in this. Low tyre pressure increases rolling resistance which is something you have to overcome to maintain speed, so the more resistance = more fuel consumed.

The larger the tyre, the higher your final drive ratio. The gearbox & diff ratios were chosen with 255/70R16 tyres and if you increase the size, you increase the ratio, so the car will not perform as well off the mark and the engine will use more fuel to get moving.

What the exact changes are will be a guess, as Krafty says.

There will be no definative figure. As Old tony stated the whole combination of effective gearing is comprmised by fitting a larger diameter tyre so in all likelyhood it will be more.

If Nissan thought a higher final drive would of given better fuel consumption they would of done it.

If it's just a weekend play machine it may be an option but if it's main use is an everyday driver personaly I don't think it's worth it for the clearance your going to gain.

I went from the standard HT 255X70X16 to and agresive AT 265X70X16 with a 2 inch lift at the same time it has made a very slight difference to fuel consumption (worse) but glad I didn't go further.

Years ago I had a 2WD petrol Rodeo ute. I put some 16" wheels on, at a steady 90Kph the fuel consumption was better but around town it was worse.

The engine may be reving slower for a given speed but it's prolly working harder.

Latest posts

Back