07 d40 4x4 not working

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaw13

Reaction score
hi ppl,

ok here it is, 2007 nissan navara d40, 4x4 not working i turn the switch to lock the hubs/diff in and it starts to flash then goes away and the 4wd light comes on and its still in rwd... i have replaced all three switchs it the trans case like nissan said to and guess what still dont work, please if anyone knows how to fix please tell me thanks...

Welcome to the forum!

I assume we're talking about just engaging 4WD and not 4LO, since you say that it's still RWD-only.

Engaging 4WD requires a functional transfer case (and sensors/switches in particular) plus good ABS units. If the ABS units give you trouble you should see a warning light on the dash, and you may have wildly inaccurate speedo readings.

It could be the selector in the dash too. I think I recall one person having trouble with it in the past.

There are some fuses/relays in the engine bay for the transfer case, There's a box just behind the battery - have someone sit in the vehicle (ignition on, engine stopped) engage and disengage 4WD and make sure that two relays are clicking away. Remove, clean contacts, reseat - if that doesn't fix, they might need to be replaced.

do you have the old switches, im having the same issue atm, also are you able to test the switches from the transfer case? as ide like to know what position the circuit is closed on the rear neutral selection switch.
you will need a multi meter

Last edited:
@ Tony

Welcome to the forum!

I assume we're talking about just engaging 4WD and not 4LO, since you say that it's still RWD-only.

Engaging 4WD requires a functional transfer case (and sensors/switches in particular) plus good ABS units. If the ABS units give you trouble you should see a warning light on the dash, and you may have wildly inaccurate speedo readings.

It could be the selector in the dash too. I think I recall one person having trouble with it in the past.

There are some fuses/relays in the engine bay for the transfer case, There's a box just behind the battery - have someone sit in the vehicle (ignition on, engine stopped) engage and disengage 4WD and make sure that two relays are clicking away. Remove, clean contacts, reseat - if that doesn't fix, they might need to be replaced.

Im looking at a navara that has been in a flood of some sort (repairable write off) it is a 2007 model and the 4x4 does not work at all. No lights on dash at all. Owner claimed for it to have worked after accident and recently stopped again.

not sure where to start it doesnt feel like the switch is doing anything at all, no relay noises, nothing

Its only $10k 150km d40 , so i do have money left over if i do decide to buy this

Last edited:
If it's just the transfer relays gummed up in the engine bay, sure. Could just be the electrical connections.

Then again it could be the transfer case swallowed a bunch of water and gummed up the works in there too. Worst case scenario you'd be looking for a new TF case - here's one on eBay for a 2007 model for $495.

Back