transfer to gearbox leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
anyone had oil from transfer box leak into the gearbox?
just wondering how it would do it.

i did oil changes today and found gearbox overfilled with some ATF in it. transfer box was low. a little puzzled how the oil manages to go uphill into the gearbox. especially as these have transfer and gearbox breathers.

Dont know, breathers good ?

Gearbox has a vacuum and is sucking the fluid through the breather maybe ?

Dave.

Yes they are. Id look at the breather's first.

Might have to split them Tweak'e, rather you then me.

Dave.

i doubt its via the breathers. they are both way above the oil level, especially the Tcase one. tho i will have to check the lines as there was some major work done to this vechile and the idiots who worked on it may have crimped a line somewhere.

i suspect its getting sucked/pumped through the front seal of the Tcase. most likly when going down steep hills which would be the only time when oil covers the seal.

will just have to keep an eye on it.

incidentally also found a broken snchro tooth on the gearbox magnet. not sure what gear its off.
at least the gearbox feals a lot smoother after the oil change.

i doubt its via the breathers. they are both way above the oil level, especially the Tcase one. tho i will have to check the lines as there was some major work done to this vechile and the idiots who worked on it may have crimped a line somewhere.

i suspect its getting sucked/pumped through the front seal of the Tcase. most likly when going down steep hills which would be the only time when oil covers the seal.

will just have to keep an eye on it.

incidentally also found a broken snchro tooth on the gearbox magnet. not sure what gear its off.
at least the gearbox feals a lot smoother after the oil change.

Hi Tweak'e,
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever figure out the problem? I had my wife's D22 serviced yesterday and the mechanic said the Tcase needed over a litre and the gearbox was overfull by a similar amount. He also said 80 series Landcruiser suffer a similar problem whereby vacuum in the gearbox sucks the oil out of the Tcase. Here's hoping you found a solution.
Thanks in advance for any response.
Regards,
Dylan

Back