To SAS or Not To SAS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingy89

Reaction score
I believe i am suck between a rock and a hard place because i love the nav but i want more flex for that little more extreme 4x4.

Plus it seems getting a wagon and getting it chopped and doing all the things that need doing it i would be better of just doing the SAS

Plus it is different and the dual cab tray/tub is lager so more practical.

What is everyones thoughts

If you ask that question here most people are going to say do it, because it's your money not theirs! We all like to see the finished product though.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on the Nav to try and make it outperform it's capabilities, cut your losses and invest in a better base truck to start with.

Good luck with your decision.

Do it, lol I plan on doing it to mine in the next couple years. Ask the boys who have allready done the sas they will tell how well they flex now. Iv'e done a couple of hiluxs in the past and it made a huge difference.

Do it!!! Of course we are going to say do it. We all want to do it deep down but it's a big job. A lot of the front axles I've seen used in the sas's for d40ms are really ugly and out of place (I guess it will always look out of place cause we are used to the ifs)

What's the damage I've heard a few places custom sas's for 12-15k surely if your capable of doing a lot of the work it wouldn't cost you that much after the initial outlay for parts.

Check out "BENO'S" D40 its the SHIT!! and looks awesome in the flesh.
The good thing is he ended up with 8" lift (not that it looks out of place)
Rear disc brakes
the choice of any diff ratio he wanted with the patrol diffs which allowed him to keep the gearing spot on even with the massive rubber.

Buy a TJ or JK Jeep Wrangler or even a long wheel base JK, cut that into a ute.

10 times easier and probably alot cheaper.

Its your money, do as you please.

Buy a TJ or JK Jeep Wrangler or even a long wheel base JK, cut that into a ute.

10 times easier and probably alot cheaper.

Its your money, do as you please.

I cannot seeing this being a cheaper options because here is not space in the back as it is now. But thanks for the thought. I believe i am going to do the swap talking to buds customs and seldom the guys that did benos truck now about prices.

20-25k seems to be the price for everything right down to tires and lockers sliders the lot.

Hi mate I've put patrol diffs under mine the best thing i ever did it goes back in end of the month for the five link rear end and lockers, every one i go away with have patrols with big lift and big tyres so i had to do something now i can go where they go with more room six speed box lower low range better on fuel i say go sas!!!

Give kari or james a call at seldom seen in picton

Hi mate I've put patrol diffs under mine the best thing i ever did it goes back in end of the month for the five link rear end and lockers, every one i go away with have patrols with big lift and big tyres so i had to do something now i can go where they go with more room six speed box lower low range better on fuel i say go sas!!!

Give kari or james a call at seldom seen in picton

Thanks mate i sent them an email with a quick response and i think that will be the go Buds have not gotten back to me so when i get back from PNG i think i will have to fly down and talk turkey with those fellas.

yea not sure if buds got it all to work the brother in law at seldom seen will fix you up

The amount of money you spend on a SAS is not inconsiderable, you'll never get your money back when if/you sell it.

Do you have lockers? If you only have 1, put another in. Lockers make a massive difference.

Take a look at this video, you can see what's possible with an IFS vehicle (the Triton) with front and rear lockers.

<YT>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilHmB55h7k</YT>

I have some video of a guy in California who runs an IFS Hilux as a rock climber, he goes where all the other guys go. It can be done with IFS it just takes more skill.

Here's an idea, why not spend $3K on an old Hilux. Do a rears up front leaf spring swap, that'll cost you maybe $200.00. Extend the rear shackles. Fit 33's and you're away.

Now fit 2 lockers, you can anywhere for less than $10K and have the truck finished and on the road in a few weekends.

I'm not against SASing stuff, I'd do it myself, if I had the money.

It's been my experience that modified stuff never last as well as out of the factory stuff.

Keep us updated, I'll be keen to see what you do.

The amount of money you spend on a SAS is not inconsiderable, you'll never get your money back when if/you sell it.

Do you have lockers? If you only have 1, put another in. Lockers make a massive difference.

Take a look at this video, you can see what's possible with an IFS vehicle (the Triton) with front and rear lockers.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilHmB55h7k[/YT]

I have some video of a guy in California who runs an IFS Hilux as a rock climber, he goes where all the other guys go. It can be done with IFS it just takes more skill.

Here's an idea, why not spend $3K on an old Hilux. Do a rears up front leaf spring swap, that'll cost you maybe $200.00. Extend the rear shackles. Fit 33's and you're away.

Now fit 2 lockers, you can anywhere for less than $10K and have the truck finished and on the road in a few weekends.

It's been my experience that modified stuff never last as well as out of the factory stuff.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilHmB55h7k[/YT]

there a bit more then that to just an old hilux really going, ruf is a start, ifs rears, in vert rears move shock towers+leaf mounts. drop drag to avoid coil wrap as just a start but your on the right track, a d40 is never going to be a comp truck, you can get it fairly close with the ifs tho set up right. the only reason i would go to a sas is the free wheeling hubs and diff gears, if your doing it just to get mad flex pics i wouldnt bother just by an old hilux or gu/80 series and have a play car. also for the buds sas which is around 25g the products that go into it cost around 17 if yourt looking to do it yourself.

Last edited:
Here's my old Lux, did all the work myself and I don't know what I'm doing, so you can see it's an easy job.

flex-010607.jpg

and

flex-050507-1.jpg

Yep, shock towers, cig locker, boomerang front shackles, extended rear shackles, 488 diffs and 33's, went everywhere. I could lay it on its side and it didn;'t worry me as it wasn't worth much, unlike a $60K - $70K SAS'd D40.

mate had one with 37" and dual transfer with v8 in it went places ive never seen cars go before, exo cage and all under 15g and you dont have to worry about chipping the paint/dints.

Hi guys

I am bumping this thread - is it really that much will it cost? 10-15K to do the conversion?
is this because of a lot of custom pieces? what running gears will be involved? and is this amount because it will be done by someone else ie: shop, because cannot DIY?

I am planning to SAS mine, with the help of my mates a mechanic, welder and an engineer down near our place in picton.

We are planning to use a GQ rolling chassis to do the swap - of course we will source a wrecking GQ and from our research we can use a transfer case from a 2.8

any other thoughts? please comment if we are doing the wrong thing or if we are in the right track, please share what you know.

thanks!

all up from buds customs its 30g with labour. thats with there diffs coil overs, longfields all the bells and whistles front and rear. roughly 20ish g for part

your problem will be mainly with the abs and the positioning of the transfer case lining up with the diffs and aswell the electronics from the transfer case will throw a code once you try start it using a different transfer case. which may not bother you as you will have a low box gear stick or it may just send you into limp mode as the speddo wont work.

it is do-able but there is alot of things to take into consideration

Last edited:
Hi guys

I am bumping this thread - is it really that much will it cost? 10-15K to do the conversion?
is this because of a lot of custom pieces? what running gears will be involved? and is this amount because it will be done by someone else ie: shop, because cannot DIY?

I am planning to SAS mine, with the help of my mates a mechanic, welder and an engineer down near our place in picton.

We are planning to use a GQ rolling chassis to do the swap - of course we will source a wrecking GQ and from our research we can use a transfer case from a 2.8

any other thoughts? please comment if we are doing the wrong thing or if we are in the right track, please share what you know.

thanks!

also i have just picked up that all your tags say d22 which is a totally different animal with a hole other range of issues, this threads in the d40 section.

Latest posts

Back