Aerovan

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohn

Reaction score
Anyone seen one?
Thoughts on 30% fuel saving claim?
Are they still practical?

aerovan.com.au

The site is www.aerovan.com.au and here's a pic if people are interested:

test071.jpg

It's quite retro, isn't it.

I like the fact that they match wheels with a Pathfinder - it means that they'd be able to match wheels with the Navara as well.

I don't like the low height and the poor departure angle. Also, placing the wheels so far forward makes it unstable - the further back the wheels, the more stable the unit is at speed. The obvious caveat is balancing the fore-aft loading of the vehicle.

I also don't like the entry door at the rear and basically uncovered from the elements. It means that when it's raining, you get water inside the van - my own van is the same and if I buy another van the door will be just in front of the tandem axle.

I'm positive they'll save some fuel with the improved aerodynamics and they'll save some leaks with the better construction. Is it enough to justify the purchase, knowing that you're losing storage space? Putting the main bed up front allows you to lower the roofline over the bed (you don't sleep standing up unless you're a fscking horse) and that does a great deal in reducing the frontal resistance. Having a rounded back allows better flow around the rear and you won't get as much dust adhering to the tail end.

The fridge is decent (185L) but it needs an oven (states just hot plate & grill) I don't like cafe dining because the wheel arches get in the way so it's nice that they have the L option.

2x82L water tanks are brilliant but you'd want them plumbed separately - one tank for drinking water only (and only fed to the sink) that you NEVER compromise with stream or tank water, and the other for washing/showering.

I wouldn't buy one - the layouts don't suit our needs, but they're certainly interesting. I wonder what kind of suspension it users? How big is the chassis? Are there any options for risers?

hmmm... I normally get around 18l/100 towing similar weight.... 20l/100 if im pushing it along. based on the 30% saving, I should achieve 12.6/100 or 14l/100 if pushing it along... Considering what I get when I am not towing.....I call bull$hit

it's 2013. we should understand aerodynamics by now - its not a bad nose cone, but the rear is doing nothing special to save on fuel

Didnt the use to make these things in the states back in the 50's and were all chrome like a dc aeroplane??

Thats the one Joe, they are a bit of a collectors thing in the states from what i remember and the old ones can be sold for mega bucks.

yeah well :/ they dont state what the frame is made out of but being fibreglass i would assume its timber framed. 12mm maranti timber and staples should not be classed as a building method period. we see this at work all the time. you pull apart a accident damaged caravan to find extreme timber rot. even without water leaks the humidity in the wall cavitys is enough to start timber rot. add an actual water leak to the situation and my god the damage is unreal. last weak we pulled the back off a 6month old timber framed van that had a water and the timber frame ws nearly allready non existant it was just mushy timber that you could break/ mush with your fingers. Id never own a timber frame van.
there weight prediction of just south of 1800kgs is nothing amazing a 20ft coromal weighs about 1780kgs from memory so they have achieved nothing in respects to weight.

Smaller name van manufactures usually have lots of structual issues and usaully have terrible warranty. quiet common to see some of the more common small manufactures side wall frames just collapse and snap. they use 19mm pine uprights then drill a 13mm hole through it for wiring to run through and then wonder why they snap there commonly ;?

buy a coromal,millard,kedron, etc something decent even a jayco lol there crap but they have excellent warranty lol

Latest posts

Back