Worth complaint to fairtrading? d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J13NST

Reaction score
i purchased vehicle in feb 12. had rust ehen i bought the car which now has been addressed. they cleaned it off and surface treated. and just last week it went in for service because of egr sensor failure and been told it will be few weeks to get it done because part has to come from japan. also it has two other issue that i havent mentioned to nissan yet because it might be fixed from egr sensor.
1. electrical burning smell firststart in the morning. goes away after while. only when its cold.
2. faint police siren noise from turbo when cold. ( how ever i dont run my car straight away. i always wait 5min in the mornings before i drive off.)
i hav made complaint thru fair trading after talking to them they recommended to ask nissan for refund or replacement and also compensation.
am i wasting my time here? logically havimg car for 6weeks and going into service for next few weeks in unreasonable.

will be like getting blood from a rock, I am going through the same process atm just with my stupid galaxy s2 phone, even with my threats of taking it to fair trading jb hifi won't give me a nickle, apparently it coming back 3 weeks later from warranty still dead is not grounds for compensation, to rub salt in the wound I had to send it back again, been without my phone for almost 5 weeks now so I feel your pain...

They should at least give you a loaner if your can is undrivable.

As for the nosie from the turbo. First thing when cold is the only time I can hear the turbo on mine. It's faint. Mostly on deceleration. Soon as it warms up no turbo noise at all. I wouldn't be to concerned about that. A friend of mine has an 09 STX (spanish) does the same.
I wouldn't bother idleing away for 5 minutes when cold. Just a waste of fuel and no real benifit. Just drive slowly for the first few minutes. Would be more benificial to idle for a couple of minutes before shuting it down.

As for the fair trading. Approach them again. Perhaps make a time, an appiontment, with the service manager if you haven't allready. Explain that your not sattisfide. Be nice, be humble. If the're not forthcoming. Contact Fair Trading but don't tell them, don't use it as a threat, play your cards close to your chest.
Don't forget to diarise everthing, trouble your had, all corespndance with them, who you have talked to, times dates...

I know it's fustraiting, you buy newy thinking oh well if any goes wrong I'm covered. Only to find out in most cases it's a battle.

Good Luck!

They should at least give you a loaner if your can is undrivable.

I wouldn't bother idleing away for 5 minutes when cold. Just a waste of fuel and no real benifit. Just drive slowly for the first few minutes. Would be more benificial to idle for a couple of minutes before shuting it down.

You would hate to see how much money I waste warming up my d22 engine! 10 to 15 mins every morning!

Everything they said.

I'm not sure if the NSW Parliament has passed the Lemon Laws yet - but they'll specifically be for the same problem (so that rust you mentioned is a prime candidate). It means Nissan can fight hard against handing back the money or replacing the whole vehicle.

Good luck!

I've read something about that electrical burning smell somehwere before. But as with most other things, It's now lost to eternity, bloody brain cells.

will inform you guys with result. i guess i got nothing to loose from on my end beside what i already happened. since fairtrading is doing all the work all i can really do is sit and wait. we do have consumer law which is like lemon law but nothing really set on book. like U.S lemon la2 if u r car goes into servicing more than 30day consecitive days its lemon. car gets warranty done on brake or steering compnonet is lemon. etc etc from wat i research even if u r car engine blows up on the day if u pick up. they wont give u refund. repair or replacement. i read previous case studies. we really need lemon law here.

will inform you guys with result. i guess i got nothing to loose from on my end beside what i already happened. since fairtrading is doing all the work all i can really do is sit and wait. we do have consumer law which is like lemon law but nothing really set on book. like U.S lemon la2 if u r car goes into servicing more than 30day consecitive days its lemon. car gets warranty done on brake or steering compnonet is lemon. etc etc from wat i research even if u r car engine blows up on the day if u pick up. they wont give u refund. repair or replacement. i read previous case studies. we really need lemon law here.

Hay dude this is my second brand new Navara, the first one had a major Injector failure 48 hours old with only 200km on the clock, the D40 rev out of control and we couldn't shut it down eventually a stranger came over and blocked the air intake to shut it down the car rev at full peak past the governor for 5 full minutes, the good news for me was my brother filmed the whole thing which was sent to Nissan Australia that got me over the line on a new one, i wrote a letter informing them (Nissan Australia) that UNDER The Australian CONSUMER Law act "CONSUMER guarantees" IF A CONSUMER HAS A MAJOR FAILURE WITH THEIR CAR, YOU ARE INTITLED TO RETURN IT TO THE DEALER TO CLAIM A REFUND, OR REPLACEMENT. AS YOU CAN IMAGINE AND IF YOU SAW THE FOOTAGE I DIDN'T WANT THAT CAR BACK THEY AGREED AND REPLACED IT WITHIN A WEEK WITH ANOTHER BRAND NEW ONE WHICH IS NOW SITTING IN THE DEALERSHIP WAITING FOR A egr SENSOR SO I REALLY SHOULD JUST ASK FOR A REFUND THIS TIME AND GO BUY A ranger, BUT LIKE YOU AND MANY OTHERS ON THIS SITE I LOVE THE nAVARA EVEN AFTER WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH. i HAD TO SIGN A DEED OF RELEASE WHICH IS A VERY LEGAL DOCUMENT WORDED IN Nissan Australia FAVOR WHICH I HAD TO GET LEGAL ADVICE ON BEFORE SIGNING IT AT A COST TO ME $180 JUST FOR THE LAWYER TO LOOK AT THE LETTER why I SHOULD BE OUT OF POCKET!! any WAY THEY DID REPLACE IT STRAIGHT AWAY WHICH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST AN INJECTOR TIP BROKEN OFF. so DON'T DISPERSE I AM HAVING MORE THAN MY SHARE OF BAD LUCK WITH THE BELOVED Nissan NAVARA. due TO THE DEED OF RELEASE I CANT SHOW ANY ONE THE video FOOTAGE, BUT THERE WAS A LOT OF ON LOOKERS THAT DAY TAKING THEIR OWN FOOTAGE SO ONE DAY IT MAY APPEAR ON SM

My first new car was an '83 MQ Patrol. It would stick in gear constantly between 2-3 so that I'd be driving along in traffic & it would shift gear & would have to cruise in neutral til it would go in gear...often at a stand still...didn't impress the other cars behind me. Was back at Nissen so many times til it got rectified. It also used to blow masses of black smoke on the odd occasion & when I'd go to turn it off it wouldn't! Had it back to Nissen soo many times, injectors changed +++++, still continued. The only way to turn off was to stall it or pull apart an electrical connection drivers side under the bonnet. Who knows what it was but it worked, happened on & off for the 16 yrs I owned it

Its an egr sensor for replacement which is a huge inconvenience for certain if they don't have a part here. No one wants to be told they can't have their new car to drive.
That said i don't think they're likely to replace the car for a sensor.

What's worse - it's not JUST a sensor. It's a sensor for a piece of shit that inhibits the power that the engine COULD produce to satisfy some emission control guideline.

Back