d21 towing capacity

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louie

Reaction score
I just bought an awesome 4x4 trailer of a mate mainly because it was so cheap. I would like to use it as a camper, the problem is that its 1000kg unloaded. Does anyone know the manufactors recommended towing capacity? I have a 1994 4x4 d21 navara with a wd21 td27t engine. Has anyone have experience with towing that much weight. I plan to drive from Brisbane to Perth over the top.

Not so much struggled but in soft sand it was difficult and hard going but my trailer was wider than the ute so the wheels were not in the same track simply saying once you get over a tonne you will know it's there compared to say a zd30

Yeah, we tow our CT which is just over 1500kg loaded with our D40, tows like a dream, slows a bit on the hills but still better than a hilux, which we often overtake even with the CT on the back. Mostly we don't know the CT is there, it just cruises along behind. I would suggest if you're planning to use yours offroad upgrade the suspension to independent offroad, put on the same size, & pref stud pattern, tyres as your 4by, electric brakes & an offroad hitch. We haven't done sand yet but pretty much a lot of other stuff including towing down steep slippery slopes.

I've towed a fair bit with both a d21 manual with a qd32 and a wd21 auto with a td27t. The wd21 is probably closest to your situation, I had almost 3t behind that and towed it about 50km, it tracked beautifully but hated the hills, probably 60km/h up some of the long uphills on the freeway leaving Melbourne. Overheated it once with a full furniture trailer on the back, though the thermostat and rad cap were both shagged at the time. If you're travelling that far I'd try to keep the weight down around 1500kg, you'll still feel it a lot. And if it's manual stay in 4th, 5th is too weak for towing in the d21 boxes.

I've towed a WD21 Terrano on a trailer with my D21 (manual KA24E).

Kept looking in the rear view mirror and pooing my pants when I saw some tailgating bastard sitting right behind me!

Only towed it for about 30km, but towed fine, but as above, not real quick. And agree, tow in 4th if using a manual.

Latest posts

Back