Toolkits

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Looking to put together a small tool roll to carry behind the rear seat.
What do you lot carry? What have you found essential and what is not worth having?
Working on The KISS principle so far I am considering
1. 300mm and 450mm shifters
2. Ball peen hammer
3. 1/2 dozen screwdrivers
4. Stanley knife
5. 8,10,12,14,17,19mm OE ring spanners
6. Needle nose and regular pliers
7. Multigrips
8. little led torch

Zip ties and duct tape. Small can of WD spray.
That reads like one of those bargain 63piece Chinese toolkits available for $29.95 doesn't it? I plan on building the kit myself though with quality tools.
Any input appreciated
Cheers
Aido

Multimeter?

I am a big Vice grip fan too, We use them for everything at work and I always try and keep a pair in the car.

Definately a multimeter, or a 12V light stick as a minimum.

I also carry one of those head mounted LED torches.

I have a fair bit of stuff that I take with me, but I've always been prone to overtooling, but it was handy when our York reached its 30th birthday and started giving us grief. Our Future Systems van (now about 11 years old or so) is in good condition but you never know.

So, I've got ring spanners, socket set, screwdriver set, cordless drill, drill bits with hole saws, wood bits, sanding bits etc. I've got lubricants (lithium grease, silicone lube, WD40. I have two vice-grips, probably 3 hammers. I was carrying spare hoses and belts for the Commodore (I left these in the back of the old girl when I traded her in), I'm yet to get these spares for the Nav. I carry liquid steel and muffler bandage as well as several rolls of the Jedi substance (duct tape - has a dark side, a light side and binds the universe together). I have a gas-powered soldering iron, solder, electrical connectors, spare wire, a small tube of roofing sealant, spare fuses & globes ...

Oh and a toolkit for my model helicopters. Gotta have the important stuff.

I have a fair bit of stuff that I take with me, but I've always been prone to overtooling, but it was handy when our York reached its 30th birthday and started giving us grief. Our Future Systems van (now about 11 years old or so) is in good condition but you never know.

So, I've got ring spanners, socket set, screwdriver set, cordless drill, drill bits with hole saws, wood bits, sanding bits etc. I've got lubricants (lithium grease, silicone lube, WD40. I have two vice-grips, probably 3 hammers. I was carrying spare hoses and belts for the Commodore (I left these in the back of the old girl when I traded her in), I'm yet to get these spares for the Nav. I carry liquid steel and muffler bandage as well as several rolls of the Jedi substance (duct tape - has a dark side, a light side and binds the universe together). I have a gas-powered soldering iron, solder, electrical connectors, spare wire, a small tube of roofing sealant, spare fuses & globes ...

Oh and a toolkit for my model helicopters. Gotta have the important stuff.

Might be simpler to fit a 4x4 drivetrain to my work van! :big_smile:

wouldnt mind a pair of these

Crunch Full-Size Multi-Tool : Leatherman

leatherman vicegrip pocket knife/multi tool

I've owned and used a victorinox multitool for the las 6 years. I used to think they were a bit of a wank until I received this one as a prize. I thought I would try it out and wear it on my belt for one day and decided if I couldn't find a use for it at least 3 times in that day then I wouldn't bother. Still got it and use it a minimum of 30 times a day in my line of work. Have looked at the Leatherman and summed them up - I wouldn't trade the Victorinox but then I suppose its what your used to.
Had a look around town this arvo in Bunno's, Autobarn, Supercheap and couldn't find any ready made products that would fit my requirements. Why in this day and age do they still sell toolsets with imperial? We live in a metric society. If I want metric only - according to Autobarn - I can order what I want but will cost the same or more than if I was to buy a met/imperial set and discard half of it........

Aido

I have several indoor-type model helis that come with me. An Apache, a Chinook, a Blackhawk in Coast Guard or Australian Army livery, and one a bit like the old Mash choppers.

They're a blast, but they're small and don't always manage to handle breezes well, with the inevitable results.

ahh cool

i used to have little indoor 3D dragonfly heli with a JR 6 channel digitial radio. they're bloody good fun! could do all the tricks and inverted flight. even bought a proper rc heli flight sim and learnt a lot of new stuff.

i was going to go up size to a trex 900 electric heli which is around over 0.7m long (last time i checked), but i was looking at just 800 for the heli minus the major motor/battery/esc/gyro gear

I'd be putting the shifters in the very bottom of the tool kit. It's probably only my opinion but as far as I'm concerned shifters are only good for working on other peoples things. They are unreliable even if you buy a decent set and fail on you when you least need them to fail. Vice grips and or multi grips that actually lock onto a bolt or nut in my opinion is a much better option.

The way I see it a decent toolkit of spanners, sockets will beat shitfers hands down in any job and the chances of them slipping are much less. Also if you know the car then chances are you know exactly what size spanners you need and don't need the whole set.

Just for the sake of it I also chuck in a soldering iron, solder, fuses and a packet of spade connectors but those sort of items tend to live in the pc repair tool kit rather than the car tool kit but both sit together.

Latest posts

Back