Exhaust upgrade and Chip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrsom

Reaction score
well i finally got the truck back and all i can say is Oh My God! it spools up really quickly now and feels great to drive. i have noticed that it seems to blow a bit more smoke than before when changing gears only when the revs are high and does sound louder, not too much tho. apparently i can adjust the chip to reduce the amount of soot? will look into that further.
have a look at the Dyno its given me a 21% increase in Power and the fuel gauge has not yet moved.... will post the fuel consumption figures when i run this tank out. I was using 11.8 ltr/100km.

Dyno Navara.JPG 27112009061.jpg 27112009062.jpg

27112009063.jpg 27112009064.jpg

Ho Orrsom,

It's a pity you didn't dyno it with the chip and before the exhaust so we could see the individual performance increases.

20% is a big increase, should be deadly to drive now in the wet :dong:

Thanks for the graph

DJ

Ho Orrsom,

It's a pity you didn't dyno it with the chip and before the exhaust so we could see the individual performance increases.

20% is a big increase, should be deadly to drive now in the wet :dong:

Thanks for the graph

DJ
The Dyno was $100 a pop; so before and after was enough for me. would have been an interesting exercise tho.
i think i will have to watch it in the wet also.

I have the exhaust, just waiting on some funding for a chip, sound well worth it in your case though......good work.

its a vast improvement on Standard, just need to figure out how to reduce the smoke..

Mate I have mine set on full all the time and it only smokes if it is off boost at the very bottom of the rev range. I wonder what the difference is?

Mate I have mine set on full all the time and it only smokes if it is off boost at the very bottom of the rev range. I wonder what the difference is?

yeah, if im in a gear thats too high for the revs it smokes terribly but what i mean is when the revs get high just before changing gears it blows a large puff out as well.

Good news with the power gain, do you think the inside of the exhaust needs to be coated with exhaust fumes, you know used and driven and when there is soot and stuff stuck covering the inside of the exhaust so it might somehow catch some smoke?

yeah, if im in a gear thats too high for the revs it smokes terribly but what i mean is when the revs get high just before changing gears it blows a large puff out as well.

Nah mine doesnt do that. Maybe back it off a touch and see if that stops it?

Good news with the power gain, do you think the inside of the exhaust needs to be coated with exhaust fumes, you know used and driven and when there is soot and stuff stuck covering the inside of the exhaust so it might somehow catch some smoke?

Nah, i think the soot/smoke is caused from too much fuel, i will adjust the settings and see how we go.

Nah mine doesnt do that. Maybe back it off a touch and see if that stops it?

Yeah, i will have a fiddle with it tonight and see what i can come up with.

Last edited:
they should not be smoking.
smoke can be too much fuel but also to much EGR or crap fuel will do the same.

whats your EGT's like?

I would put a pyro on it mate.

I have got 3" exhaust and intercooler upgrade and in this heat egt's are @ 400 deg c just driving on the hwy at 100km/hr.
Hit a hill and they can go near 500. I have not seen higher than that though.

I have not added any fuel to mine though. (other than what the ecu has added to compensate for extra airflow itself) and my fuel ratios are leaner than factory.

If you start floging it up the beach or up big hills it is wise to have an egt gauge. Just get a cheap one off ebay or something you already have the bung in ya dump pipe for it

If it's smoking off-boost but is ok during boost, then my guess is the chip isn't accounting for when the turbo is on (and the ECU does know about that). I'd have thought it should compensate for the lower ratio of air and lessen the injector-open duration when boost is off to reduce how rich the fuel-air mix is.

Might be worth asking the supplier the question: "Does the chip take into account the boost state" and if it does, ask them to lean it off a little?

If they tell you that it does they are lying!! They have no input for this

Most of the ones I have seen put the same amount of fuel in through the whole graph. They only tune in a very limited amount of points.

Sucks really. That is why I would like someone smarter than I to install a unichip on my d40 so I have multiple inputs etc.

i took the back of the chip last night and leaned it off (not too much tho), has made a big difference. it only give a little puff when changing from first to second and at around 4000 revs. my heavy foot has probably contributed to the original dillema.

Latest posts

Back