2.5 info

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auslander

Reaction score
G'day, i'm about to purchase a new vehicle, and the navara 2.5 poverty pack 4x2 ute is on the list, and was hoping someone here actually drives one.

I'm after some fuel usage figures, and any faults they may have had, so i can compare it with the other vehicles i'm thinking about buying. So anyone with info would be very much appreciated.

Other vehicles on the might buy list are:-

Mitsubishi MN Triton 2.5 glx tonner (The one without the HP motor) Top of the list sofar can get cruise and stability control as well on this model.

Ford/Mazda ranger/bt50 2.5 xl.

Holden Colorado Dx diesel (who the hell comes up with these names?) possibly the best diesel motor out of my choices?

Welcome to the forums

Have a look through the threads you find a number of them dedicated to exactly what you want. You might not find direct comparisons to the other models you speak of but there is quite a number of things relating to Nav's fuel economy and good and bad points.

For me the Nav was the best choice of the ones you listed but who knows information on this site my sway you one way or another

Welcome to the forums.

I can't see the 2.5L 4x2, my glossy only has a petrol version with a 4.0L V6 engine. Only the 4x4's have the 2.5L CR Turbo Diesel motors. Horsepower is 126HP for the diesels, 198HP for the petrol versions, with max torque at 385Nm (petrol) and 402Nm (diesel). The Navara diesel is the strongest engine in its class.

The petrol Navara engines are supposed to get around 15L/100Km and the diesels down around 10L/100Km, although I'm getting around the 11.5 mark - but mine is decidedly "optioned up" and that extra weight needs to be pushed around somehow!

The Navara 4x2 has a 2T towing capacity, the 4x4 version has 3T. The Triton and Hilux can tow 2.3 and 2.4T, the Ford Ranger up to 2.5T and the Holden Colorado up to 3T.

I hope these brief figures have helped a little.

And really if you are considering the Colorado you really should throw the Isuzu in the mix. There is obvious similarities in the two because they started out coming from the same factory but when I was shopping the Isuzu optioned up was cheaper than the Colorado and the Isuzu wasn't going to be taken off the market like Holden have suggested they are going to do with the Colorado. I actually liked the Isuzu and at the end of the day the Nav as standard wasn't that much dearer but the Nav still felt better to me. (also the Isuzu options price list read worse than Nissan's did)

At least you're not considering anything by Great Wall Motors.

I'd go the Diesel Nav but that's just my biased opinion. :p

At least you're not considering anything by Great Wall Motors.

I know he can't hear me but every time I see the guy around the corner drives past in his Great Wall I laugh and call him a cheap bastard. Just about everything on the list above beats a Great Wall, which I'm sure wouldn't be so great after hitting a wall

Actually just thinking about the Colorado, there was word that Holden were pulling that vehicle from production. You might get a bargain being end-of-series, but you might also find parts fun to make yourself in years to come. Now that's something to look forward to!

While production may stop isn't the petrol engine a standard Holden engine or near enough to Holden spec that they will probably still do the parts? The diesel might be different cause I believe they brought the design from Isuzu and it's not used in any of the other Holden models, but I could be wrong, either way I'd reckon most of the Isuzu parts would fit so buying a Holden and converting it bit by bit might be a good project.

Thanks fella's,

The Colorado uses the 2.4 family II motor also the 3.6 commodore motor (although detuned), and the older Isuzu 3 litre diesel. The one Isuzu use is slightly different and by all accounts a better motor. But also they are pretty exy.

I am after the base model from all i have listed but i will grab a diesel version.

The ranger/bt50 use a Volvo motor! 2.5 and 3 litre varieties. A very good motor as i have the same motor in my current vehicle, the ford focus TDCI. Although a 2.0 litre variety. Hence the reason they are on the list.

Mitsubishi with their just released MN model have 3 motors. A 2.4 petrol that uses copious amounts of fuel, but by all reports is a decent motor. Also they now have 2 types of 2.5 litre diesel, in all the 4x2 models they use a 2.5 diesel 100kw motor and in all the 4x4 they now have the new 2.5 HP (high power) motor 131kw. But i don't want 4x4 so it's the lower spec diesel motor for me.

The huge advantage with the Mitsubishi, is that they come standard with cruise control ABS, EBD, and for $700 they'll chuck on stability control as well. A MASSIVE advantage on a tonner/ute. Having seen ESC in real world usage in my current vehicle, i have to say the best thing in vehicles since the internal combustion engine! It's that good i reckon.

But the Navara the 2.5st povo pack tonner is also on the list because it's the only one made in Japan, has ABS, and by all reports a decent diesel motor. Plus the test drive was pretty good.

Whatever i buy will be my daily driver, so the reason why i have been all over the net trying to find info on the vehicles.

Thanks for the info sofar.

Be wary with the mitsubishi, it might be a good price now but sell it in a couple of years and ul see its worth nothing, just compare current navaras and tritons of the same age era and ul see what im talking about.

But the Navara the 2.5st povo pack tonner is also on the list because it's the only one made in Japan, has ABS, and by all reports a decent diesel motor. Plus the test drive was pretty good.

thought the new 2009 models were all made in thailand?

if you were here in perth you could buy my 4x2 2.5L 2008 nav with all the goodies XD

thought the new 2009 models were all made in thailand?

Hmm didn't know, haven't read anything regarding it.

Went for a test drive in the Triton, they only had the 2.4 petrol at my local stealer, issue with supply they reckon.

Talk about a tight fit!, the arm rest thingy that holds the power window controls etc, intrudes over the seat! I'm not overly tall, 6'2" but a trip in that would be interesting.

Has put a bit of a spanner in the works. I assumed todays tonners, would all be made for normal sized humans. If room inside is going to be an issue, it's going to cut the choice somewhat. The most roomy was the colorado/isuzu. Even the d22 was a little tight. The ranger wasn't real roomy either.

In all the ones that are tight for room, it's always due to the bloody power window arm hanging over or near the edge of the seat. Going by that alone, it's the navara or the colorado/isuzu, that are best for room.

Hmmm, wonder if i can swing the missus into a 4x4. Think i'll start the propaganda war and see how it sits :)

I'm about 6'2" as well and found the same issue. I didn't get in a Colorado given their similarities to the Isuzu but found nearly everything else felt smaller in the drivers seat, which is why my short list came down the Nav and Isuzu. I quite liked the Isuzu although in retrospect I am glad I didn't buy one, I'm not sure if its the dealer down here or the Isuzu in general but guys I do know that have them seem to always have problems they didn't know were there when it came time for the service.

It does seem a bit strange that these utes are having issues like intermittent ECU problems, electrical problems and a/c units that cut the power to the engine that the drivers aren't seeing during their normal driving given that some of them do know a bit about cars but without proof I wouldn't blame the dealer either.

Interesting you mention that. The salesman at holden mentioned exactly the same thing to me. Obviously, i just took it as usual salesman BS trying to put down the obvious opposition.

He also mentioned that price for parts were almost double from isuzu for the exact same part from holden! He also mentioned they have started to get the odd isuzu in for servicing, as they were apparently cheaper than Isuzu.

Good thing for me, my local Nissan dealer is also a Holden dealership, and can get a side by side comparison of the vehicles i'm after.

Looking more and more like it's a Colorado/Navara choice for me. Pity, i liked that Triton:)

P.S. Just off to go for a test drive a poverty pack Hilux 1 tonner, petrol 2.7. Anything else from Toymota is just over priced I reckon. Will give a quick report when i return.

Last edited:
I don't really know how the prices of parts and services compare but given that Holden have managed to "Holdenise" some parts they might well be cheaper in some areas. Also Isuzu have never been the cheapest trucks on the road so I don't see why they would be the cheapest utes on the road.

My main problem with the Isuzu was that there is only one "authorised" dealer down this way, he's also Purgeot and SsangYong which didn't sit well with me given the troubles my brothers work has had with their Purgeots with the same mechanics working on them. I actually liked the way the Isuzu drove and felt but in the end the price difference between the basic models wasn't enough to sway me in favour of the Isuzu.

Given that my local Nissan dealer also has the 40K service price listed at a shade under $1500 for the Nav had I been relying on them for the services I might have swayed a little more towards Isuzu who were claiming only $900, although from the experience of others it would seem that $900 would have been quickly added to with other issues.

Hmmm, wonder if i can swing the missus into a 4x4. Think i'll start the propaganda war and see how it sits :)
Mate the pro's far outweigh the con's. So if you'd like a list just let us know. Just having low range is the biggest benefit to come to mind, steep driveways no problems!!

Cheers Brad

Just back from the Hilux test drive, interesting.

Now i'm not a fan of toyota's at all. Infact i'd say i was anti toyota. But i have to say, that test drive surprised me somewhat.

Keeping in mind this was the "Bog stock standard povo of poverty packs" Hilux. It was not bad at all, to drive that is.

What is it with the absolute lack of anything in these vehicles? No Tacho, no intermittent wipers, 2,000$ for A/C, no ABS, tiny bloody wheels that make it look OFF. To name a few. I understand these are aimed as work vehicles, but come on, it's 2009!

Having said that, it drove far better than i imagined and to top it off, it had room in the cab! My main problem is, i MUST have a bench seat, this is whats really making choice difficult. I just found out that the colorado 4x2 diesel doesn't come with a benchy(I had to test drive a 4x4 diesel). The only diesel that does is a 4x4 farmers special :)(not upset with this news at all).

So, going by my main criteria when i started, 4x2, diesel and bench seat and A vehicle i can actually sit in for say 9 hours of driving(i have a farm down in NSW (Wingham), the Navara D22 dx 2.5 is the ONLY one that fits the bill.

So, if i'm seriously considering a 4x4 colorado, then i just have to consider the 4x4 navara equivalent of the 4x2. Wont even bother with the hilux, just too exy.

The more i think about this 4x4 idea the more i like it. Surely safer to drive, handy for those rainy days in the mud up the back paddock. Sorry just trying out what i'm gonna say to the missus :big_smile:

I wouldn't say 4x4's are safer to drive but they do give a lot of people out there the sense they are safer, hence all the soccer mums. But it might be a good selling point for the missus.

The mud is definitely an issue, can't have the missus getting out and pushing when it gets a little slippery in the paddock. I'm sure she will see 4x4 an advantage once she gets out and pushes for the first time.

They can have four wheels doing the work not just two, and four is always better than two so that must mean fuel economy is better if you have four sharing the load and not working as hard. That also means tyres don't wear as quick because four are doing the work of two. The extra diff also adds weight to the front of the vehicle so the front wheels don't lift of the ground when you drive to fast or take off too quick. you get a pretty knob in the dashboard that the kids can play with and in the manual you get an extra stick to put stubby holders on. Also you have to take into account that one day the missus might have a friend stuck somewhere and you can tell her 4x2 just wont pull anyone out. The advantages are endless.

Although if your missus has any technical knowledge (even just a little bit) you might have to reword the above 'advantages' or you might find yourself talking to thin air.

Bushfire prone area? Sorry, not sure where Wingham is.

I know what I'd rather be driving if a bushfire was bearing down.

Latest posts

Back